Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Transfering Oolite-saves from PC to iMac

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Nick Supreme
Poor
Poor

Transfering Oolite-saves from PC to iMac

Post by Nick Supreme »

Hey everyone!
I have played Oolite on my PC and now bought an iMac.
After copying my save files to my Mac and loading the Commander, the F5 screen (status/contracts) won't show any equipment, status, contracts etc.
Could anyone please help me fix the problem. I've already reached a deadly status and as you know, it is a long way to start from scratch.
Thanks...
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Have you put the save file in the "oolite-saves" folder? It should be there under the top level (whatever it's called... the little house thing).
The Dreamcatcher
Competent
Competent

Post by The Dreamcatcher »

Or do what I do, and just double click the save game file (mine is stored on my desktop, can't remember why).
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Can you specify your problem? Do you mean the screen itself is there, but just the lines for showing equipment etc are not there? Or can't you access the screen altogether?

If it's the latter, the fix is quite easy. Unlike what we're all here talking about the F5-screen or any other screen, in the Mac version you don't use the F-keys, but the number keys (at least that's what I do). So press 5 instead of F5.
Nick Supreme
Poor
Poor

Post by Nick Supreme »

I can open the screen, which then shows the Commanders name.
And a lack of all the rest. As I said, no equipment, contracts, passengers...
Ace Garp
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Ace Garp »

Commander McLane wrote:
. . . in the Mac version you don't use the F-keys, but the number keys (at least that's what I do). So press 5 instead of F5.
They both work.

The number keys (1, 2, 3 etc) do the same thing as the function keys (F1, F2, F3 etc).

Good job too, as the Function keys are a pain to access on my PowerBook, but that's a damn site more powerful than my desktop ;-)
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

@ Rick Supreme: There is still the question where (in which folder) you have installed Oolite. In another thread you wrote about the AddOns-folder not being accessible. This could be caused by running Oolite from its disk-image instead of having it installed properly. In this case moving the whole application onto your harddisk would solve all your problems.

Just to rule out this possible cause of the problem, could you please confirm that your Oolite-folder (the one that is named "Oolite 1.65" or "Oolite 1.69.1.2" or "Oolite 1.70") is located inside your "Applications" or "Programme"-folder (or any subfolder of it)?
Nick Supreme
Poor
Poor

Post by Nick Supreme »

Slowly getting aware of the differences of PC and Mac. Thanks for your help!
Installed Oolite correctly, now AddOns work fine. :) PC saves still let me down. :( And my new analogue joystick only works unsensitively digital. :cry:
As soon as i've cured my nervous breakdown, i'll crawl back into my pilot seat and with some good tips I might then finally be able to control my ship in an adequate manner.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Regarding the saved games, is there anything written in the game's logfile? Not displaying anything other than the commander's name on the status screen is a a serious malfunction and should normally by accompanied by plenty of error messages.

Also, check that you have installed all OXPs that the save game may be referencing. It might just be that you are playing with an OXP ship. In this case the OXP will have to be in AddOns.

Finally, if all else fails, I would check to see that the format of the file is fully Mac-compatible. It may need to be converted from DOS to UNIX format text.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Just as an additional information: The logfile is accessible via the console (/Programme/Dienstprogramme/Konsole.app). In Oolite versions before 1.69 (I think) you just have to start the console and you will see the errorlog in its window.

Starting from 1.69 it's a bit different. Clicking on "Protokolle" in the window's header opens a box with the different logfiles. Choose "~/Library/Logs", then "Oolite", then "Latest.log". There will also be a "Previous.log", which contains the logfile of the previous program start.