WTF !!! ???

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

elite
Deadly
Deadly

WTF !!! ???

Post by elite »

Ok now this is just fuc#ing weird.

I upgraded to 1.70 about 3 weeks ago.
I started a new game. I have been playing for about 2 weeks and only have a few kills under my belt.

I have loads of oxp's installed. Whilst at Diso I brought some food and textiles. I was going to sell them at Leesti but I thought I'd pop into the PI31 store near the witch point beacon first.

Good job I did because they were buying food and textiles at 100.8Cr per Tonne. I only brought the food for 3.6Cr and the textiles for 8.0Cr so I made a HUGE profit.
This was strange in itself, but I thought "Oh well" and headed off to Leesti with a new bank balance of just over 2500Cr.

At Leesti I upgraded my forward pulse laser to a forward beam laser. However in my F5 screen it shows that I have a beam laser AND a forward beam laser.
My bank account was debited for BOTH.

So I brought a forward pulse laser to get my money back for the beam laser I just brought and now the F5 screen shows me to have a beam laser, pulse laser and a forward pulse laser.
What's more, my back account has more than 429 Million Cr in it?

I also got debited twice for a starboard mining laser too.

I took out ALL oxps and restarted the game pressing shift whilst it loaded.
I reloaded my commander file again and did the exact same as above (buying a beam laser then replacing it with a pulse one again) but the bug is still there.

Here is a screenie.

Oh and before you ask...no I am not lending you any money lol.
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

This is maybe the oldest bug in 1.70. oxps have nothing to do with it
It has been corrected in 1.71 trunk.
:D
elite
Deadly
Deadly

Post by elite »

Oh right lol.

Where can I download the new 1.71?
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

elite wrote:
Oh right lol.

Where can I download the new 1.71?
It is not a matter of where but when :wink: (Unless you can build from source)
elite
Deadly
Deadly

Post by elite »

Oh I see lol.

So it's a bit pointless playing the game then untill 1.71 is released. :(
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

elite wrote:
So it's a bit pointless playing the game then untill 1.71 is released. :(
Waaaaah!

Of course it is worth playing, there are many new features and improvements from 1.65, it's just that 1.71 is going to be a major upgrade, and it is being tested by those with the savvy to build from source, but it does have a few quirks, you cannot play random hits for example, LB is waiting for 1.71 to be fully released before upgrading random hits.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

Also I am not 100% sure that we have detected all the bugs in 1.70.
In that case those bugs will be transferred to 1.71
So you can still help the dev team by playing 1.70 and detect something new.

“Do not ask what your country has done for you but what you have done for your country”
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

And by the way: You can easily get around this specific bug. Just don't buy lasers in 1.70. Quit the game, start any previous version, load your commander, buy the laser, save, quit again, start 1.70 again, load your commander again, and there you are.

The bug mainly affects the refund for the trade-in of your current laser in 1.70. So everything else is fine (apart from the other bugs in 1.70, of course :wink: ; but then all other versions including 1.65 had their bugs too!). And as save-files are version-independent, you just can switch to another version for that specific transaction.
elite
Deadly
Deadly

Post by elite »

Commander McLane wrote:
And by the way: You can easily get around this specific bug. Just don't buy lasers in 1.70. Quit the game, start any previous version, load your commander, buy the laser, save, quit again, start 1.70 again, load your commander again, and there you are.

The bug mainly affects the refund for the trade-in of your current laser in 1.70. So everything else is fine (apart from the other bugs in 1.70, of course :wink: ; but then all other versions including 1.65 had their bugs too!). And as save-files are version-independent, you just can switch to another version for that specific transaction.
Oh right I see.
I'll have to download 1.68 again then and use that just to buy lasers. :roll:

So is that the only main bug then?
I take it other equipement is still OK.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

elite wrote:
So is that the only main bug then?
Well, actually, this is not the only main bug. You can still play 1.70 and enjoy it, but be aware that there are a couple cases that result in fatal crashes:
1) Do not attempt to swtich to/from strict mode with 1.70 (at least on Windows). Crash and/or weird behavior is guaranteed.
2) Do not attempt to sell a ship with subentities, such as a Python Class Cruiser or a DW Cobra MkIII. 1.70 will crash.
3) Worst bug in 1.70: Sometimes, when you enter hyperspace or when you load a new game, Oolite will start a reckless thrashing on your hard disk which will end only when all your available memory has been consumed. When this happens, Oolite will exit with a report in the stderr.txt along the lines of "Virtual Memory exhausted, application has requested the OS to terminate it in an unusual way".

However, I think that you will find that the new features and scripting capabilities of 1.70 justify using it, despite its instabilities.

BTW, all the above have been fixed in the upcoming 1.71.
elite
Deadly
Deadly

Post by elite »

another_commander wrote:
3) Worst bug in 1.70: Sometimes, when you enter hyperspace or when you load a new game, Oolite will start a reckless thrashing on your hard disk which will end only when all your available memory has been consumed. When this happens, Oolite will exit with a report in the stderr.txt along the lines of "Virtual Memory exhausted, application has requested the OS to terminate it in an unusual way".
Yeah, noticed that a few times already lol.
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

elite wrote:
another_commander wrote:
Yeah, noticed that a few times already lol.
Believe it or not that was the main reason for upgrading my memory from 1GB to 2GB :x
Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

@ark: same here :)