Where is 1.71?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Baza
Competent
Competent

Where is 1.71?

Post by Baza »

Keep seeing people mention 1.71 is it out, if so where cani get. obviously I am missing something very obvious.... :oops:
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Well, there's a few trigger-happy people who've been compiling the source code available via svn, and that's the 1.71 you've been hearing about! On the wiki there's a few instructions on how to compile from source, just follow the 'running oolite on mac/linux/windows' link that applies to you from this page. If you've got a linux computer, the best thing to do is grab yourself a nightly build(the js dependencies are 'a bit' tricky to sort out): you can find instructions on how to do so in the oolite-linux forum.

Hope this helps :)
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)
FSOneblin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by FSOneblin »

What? So it out, but it's not 1.71 of oolite? I do not under stand.

**brain is broken**
Don't panic

Now an "adult!"
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

There is no "version 1.71" the current version is 1.70. But there is another version in development, which people are calling 1.71.

The thing is, 1.71 is still in development, so it is changing every day, so it isnt really a version, its just what we call the next release.
FSOneblin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by FSOneblin »

Ok, thanks. They moray medicals Fixed my brain.
Don't panic

Now an "adult!"
Kaks
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by Kaks »

Strictly speaking 1.71 doesn't exist yet, but the svn (work in progress) code is already labelled 1.71 in anticipation of the release. Of course, 1.71's release date is "when it's done".

As most open source distributed projects, the source code for the work in progress is always available. If you compile the work in progress, you will get the latest bugfixes and newest features, but you will likely get new and undiscovered bugs. In addition to that, some features on svn might change from one day to the next, and even disappear by the time 1.71 is released.

It looks like quite a few people on the board don't quite mind that kind of uncertainty! :D

Edit: As Cmdr James said!
Hey, free OXPs: farsun v1.05 & tty v0.5! :0)