Ejection bug

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Ejection bug

Post by Eric Walch »

Today I broke a few speed records. Flying to the sun in a few seconds without using any witchdrive fuel. I did it a few times earlier the past months but today I learned what triggered it.

I flew away from the planet whit injectors until I saw no other ships on the scanner. Than I ejected an item with the "d" key. My ship accelerates so fast that you see the planet and sun shrink very fast. When looking at my exhaust plume, I noticed it can't follow me and blows through the ship to the front.

OK, actually it must be a bug in 1.70 with ejecting items. The ship gets an tremendous momentum backwards. I am not sure what other conditions were present to get this bug but now I could reproduce it several times. Momentum does not stop when witchspace jumping. Only solution is a quit and restart Oolite. Can anybody reproduce this? The speed looks great!
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

I do not think I can reproduce it with 1.70 :?
I have followed your instructions to the letter
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Ark wrote:
I do not think I can reproduce it with 1.70 :?
I have followed your instructions to the letter
I get convinced that it must be triggered by an OXP or combination of them. At the moment I always get that behaviour when pressing <eject>, not only when no others are pressent. Very annoying as the d key is close to the s key and accidentally ejecting sometimes happens in the heat of a fight.

It probably has nothing to do with the ejection routine. Looking into the code I read:

eject_reaction = -eject_speed * [jetto mass] / [self mass];

Meaning my ship gets a reaction speed based on the ejected mass. And lately I am suffering with an other bug that when I shoot down a ship, the system selects some of the large asteroids from asteroids.oxp as cargopods although it is not one of the roles of the asteroids. Probably I now also am ejecting those large boulders myself. I never seen them as I only see one very short "blib" on the scanner and than the cargo is already out of scanner range.

EDIT: Visually confirmed: On ejection of cargo now the large asteroids are ejected with my Cmdr.
Last edited by Eric Walch on Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

Eric Walch wrote:
I get convinced that it must be triggered by an OXP or combination of them.
Strange i have at least 100 oxps loaded and still can not reproduce it
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

I am still ejecting large boulders under 1.71. But 1.71 has a nice improvement for impossible high speeds. It slowly reduces speed to normal. With 1.70 the only solution was to quit oolite, now the speed normalises after a few minutes. Still a far way back to home, unless I eject an large boulder in the other direction. <Like bun-gee jumping>.