Oolite 1.70 and Random Hits OXP: Accepts mark death, not pod

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

davcefai
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by davcefai »

I have replaced all instances of "beingAttacked" has been renamed to "shipBeingAttacked" and "System.legacy_spawn" to "Ship.spawn" in Random Hits.

However despite not getting any relevant error messages I still have the situation where the mark is reported to have ejected but no vehicle appears. The cache is being rewritten at load time.

Is there anything else I can try? I enjoy the missions but killing the same character day after day is becoming annoying :(
Ean
Poor
Poor

Post by Ean »

Ahruman helped me with this the other day, Change system.legacy_spawn to this.ship.spawn

Ean
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Sorry about this. I wrote V1.1 of Random Hits on the vanilla V1.70 of Oolite. As Ean has pointed out, it won't work on V1.71 due to two name changes for commands. It should be a fairly simple C&P to fix (although you'd have to do this with everyone of the scrips in the Scripts folder). I could put up a v1.2 with this changed, but if I change the names it won't work on a vanilla 1.70 version, so I was holding back a v1.2 until v1.71 of Oolite becomes offical.

For the moment v1.1 of Random Hits will work on v1.70 of Oolite, but is broken by the w.i.p. version 1.71. If you are playing with the 'bleeding edge' version it won't record a kill or scoop properly!

I just tested it with V1.70test of Oolite and it works. But it won't work with later builds were thisBeingAttacked is not recognised. Will fix for 1.71 (offical), but I'm reluctant to make changes that would mean the OXP does not work with 1.70 (vanilla).

On the OXPs download page it gives a link to the 1.70test version of Oolite. I can only gurantee that it works on this version as I don't have the later builds installed.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Timm74
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Timm74 »

Hi,

just had the same problem. I had Random Hits 1.1 installed for a while, and it is the first time this happened:
I killed the target, the target ejected in worm, I killed the worm (good old blow up with the laser), no message, back in the Station:Insults that I let him escape...

BTW: I had another strange situation: A target had like 8 killer adders with good shields and mil lasers with him, so I decided rather to get fined than killed and cleared them with the energy bomb.
But I did not get fined...

Cheers!
Timm

EDIT: Had the same problem 3 more times. I reinstalled Ramdom hits 1.1 before trying and hold space. Tried to kill the worm by ramming and scooping. Neither did work. Same insults at the station. By the way, the target rides an iguana, Oolite version is 1.70.
Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

hold space
Do you mean you held down space while restarting Oolite to clear the OXP cache? If so then it's 'shift' not space you have to hold down.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Because of the way Oolite works, if you have 1.0 of Random Hits installed, simply installing 1.1 in AddOns is not enough! Oolite still reads all the code from the OLD version! Hold down SHIFT as hoopy says whilst Oolite loads up. You only need to do this once. In holding down SHIFT, you force Oolite to update its cache and so read the new version of the Random Hits code.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

That really should not be the case, so long as the modification dates of the OXP directories differ.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

Think it does need a SHIFT to make it read the changes (even if the updated .plist is written on a different day / time). I'd fixed some typos on the version on my machine and came back to it after Easter to see the typos were still there. Then remembered to hold down SHIFT and the typos were corrected. Most notably "encountering a fitting carer end." rather than "encountering a fitting career end." I knew I'd fixed the typo in descriptions, but when I loaded up (a week later) the old typo was still there. It wasn't until I reloaded with SHIFT held down that the new version of the string was used. I wrote most of the descriptions in Random Hits on my laptop over a week doing the very boring 2 hour train trip (each way) from London to Norwich and back again every day, then updating the .plist on my home machine at the end of the week! The state of my mood at the time is probably reflected in some of the crimes:- Not quite sure what I was thinking of when I came up with "<string>[assassination_board_crime] opening up a tortoise with an electric tin-opener</string>" or "<string>[assassination_board_crime] mummifying the still living [assassination_board_poster_systemd]ian [random_hits_vip]</string>", but they seemed amusingly absurd at the time!
:wink:
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

LittleBear wrote:
Think it does need a SHIFT to make it read the changes (even if the updated .plist is written on a different day / time).
I said “OXP directory”, not “plist file”.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

Ahh. Understand now! I was only updating the .plist not the whole folder containing the plists. So the SHIFT should only be necessary for the OXPer writing the OXP and doing a playtest to check the the changes are doing what they are meant to rather than the player installing the updated version in one go?
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

The SHIFT ist not needed whenever an OXP (meaning the whole thing, not a .plist inside it) is removed from or added to the Addons-folder.