VERY useful commodity concerning typos & bugs

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

VERY useful commodity concerning typos & bugs

Post by Lestradae »

A friend of mine who is a programmer ...

http://www.harald.ist.org

... helped me upgrade the Realistic Shipyards OXP to V.1.02 (which is not yet on the wiki, will announce that) with an interesting Easter Egg:

A rather difficult to find, enormously expensive stolen Thargoid Warship! Such ships that are very rarely captured by the Galactic Navy might rather seldom appear in distinguished shipyards of Tech Level 15 and be buyable by Deadly or Elite Credits multimillionaires.

But I digress :?

Well, he pointed me to this program here

http://validator.w3.org/

... which can online-check the programs we use here for plists and the like :!: :shock:

I managed to repair the rather buggy Condor.oxp with that ... me :shock:

So, I warmly recommend that site and that program.

8)

L
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Thanks for the useful tool. :D

But I have two objections against the availability of a Thargoid Warship, however expensive and rare it may be.

1) If you read through the wiki, you will come across the information that very little is known about Thargoid technology, because Thargoids inevitably fight to death and in that process their ships are destroyed. So the Navy has never ever been able to retrieve one of their ships (with the notable exception of disabled Thargons, of course, but those allow only very limited conclusions about the technology used in the main ships), in order to have it studied and understand Thargoid technology.

This part of Oolite's background story can obviously not be reconciled with the availability of a Thargoid Warship for the player. Which for me is a strong reason not to make it available.

2) The second, and admittedly weaker, reason is that a Thargoid Warship is not very useful for a player, I guess. What weaponry does it have? As far as I know a Thargoid Laser doesn't work on a player ship. And I certainly wouldn't buy a main ship without the possibility to fit a laser to it.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Commander McLane wrote:
2) The second, and admittedly weaker, reason is that a Thargoid Warship is not very useful for a player, I guess. What weaponry does it have? As far as I know a Thargoid Laser doesn't work on a player ship. And I certainly wouldn't buy a main ship without the possibility to fit a laser to it.
I’d say that’s a stronger argument, but then, I gave up on the idea of Oolite making sense ages ago. ;-)

If you stick a thargoid laser on a player ship, it should behave like a military laser.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Ahruman wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
I’d say that’s a stronger argument, but then, I gave up on the idea of Oolite making sense ages ago. ;-)
I think it's the weaker argument, because why shouldn't the player have the right to decide to buy a defenseless ship that's going to be attacked on sight by everybody else? Yes, that would be a mind-bogglingly stupid (and suicidal!) decision, but, hey, who am I to prohibit people from being mind-bogglingly stupid (and suicidal)?

The first one is the real argument for me, because I haven't yet given up to understand the Ooniverse as a universe, i.e. something with an intrinsic logic to it. And I am just pleading to all OXPers to accept the background story as we know it so far, as sort of a framework for their OXPs. And yes, I know that the background story has been extended on a couple of occasions, and I know that not everybody here takes every part of it as canonical, but I want to call for at least a debate on the board, before one of the more fundamental aspects of the story (and the way in which GalCop and the Thargoids are interacting is in my point of view one of the more fundamental aspects of the background story) is just altered or changed.
If you stick a thargoid laser on a player ship, it should behave like a military laser.
No, it doesn't. At least it didn't when I tried once. There is no laser beam on the screen and no impact on anything around you. Nevertheless it heats up (at least as fast as a military laser, I'd say).
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

@Commander McLane

Post by Lestradae »

Sorry, but this now makes me angry :evil:
The first one is the real argument for me, because I haven't yet given up to understand the Ooniverse as a universe, i.e. something with an intrinsic logic to it. And I am just pleading to all OXPers to accept the background story as we know it so far, as sort of a framework for their OXPs. And yes, I know that the background story has been extended on a couple of occasions, and I know that not everybody here takes every part of it as canonical, but I want to call for at least a debate on the board, before one of the more fundamental aspects of the story (and the way in which GalCop and the Thargoids are interacting is in my point of view one of the more fundamental aspects of the background story) is just altered or changed.
Just: Nope. :x

I also want an Ooniverse that is still recognisable as Elite. But we have already established that there is a core version - the build 1.65 or 1.70, perhaps - that is the smallest consensus we can all have.

But I am definitely and ultimately against starting any attempt to put limitations on OXPs.

If you, Commander McLane, want your only personal Oolite game which contains exactly what you want and what you don`t want, make one. But stop trying to implement restrictions on the people living their creativity here. I`m really angry for the first time since I know Oolite :shock:
I think it's the weaker argument, because why shouldn't the player have the right to decide to buy a defenseless ship that's going to be attacked on sight by everybody else? Yes, that would be a mind-bogglingly stupid (and suicidal!) decision, but, hey, who am I to prohibit people from being mind-bogglingly stupid (and suicidal)?
If you have a short look on the realistic shipyards, you might notice that it has been made with the very much thought-through aim of real game (and atmospheric) balance concerning ships. In short, it massively heightens the internal logic of gameplay and Ooniverse alike.

Sorry that I have no more conciliatory approach this time :( , but I think your point of view is grossly unfair, and I don`t want it to spread. If Oolite became something where people voted or decided on what MAY be in it and what not INCLUDING OXPs I would be out of it in a minute - and it would go the way of the new kind, if you catch my drift.

* trying to calm down *

L

:!: Edit :!:

PS:

By the way: The Thargoid Warship (Stolen) is in the upcoming version of Realistic Shipyards. It can only be acquired by a pilot who has finished a top secret plans mission, has a clean legal record and the rating of Deadly. Then there`s the small pricetag of 3.5 million credits and the rare appearance at Tech Level 15 shipyards to be taken into consideration.

And: It was stolen (from the Thargoids) - that`s the background story. It was rigged, rebuilt, and while it has the same specs as an original Thargoid Warship its Lasers are Military Lasers, and its missile shafts can be filled with other things than captured Thargons.

So hardly something "illogical" and neither a game-breaker in game balance terms nor, I might add, for the background story.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Commander McLane wrote:
No, it doesn't. At least it didn't when I tried once. There is no laser beam on the screen and no impact on anything around you. Nevertheless it heats up (at least as fast as a military laser, I'd say).
Hey, you’re right. (Much faster than a military laser, too.) Well, so long as it doesn’t crash, that’s fine by me.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Thargoid Lasers

Post by Lestradae »

Hye,

* already calmed down * 8)

The stolen Thargoid Ship from Realistic Shipyards V1.03 does not have a Thargoid Laser installed! It is supposed to have Military Lasers.

I was once (obviously due to a glitch) able to buy a Thargoid Laser from the equipment dock on a Random Hits spacebar. The game crashed to desktop if I tried to get onto the F5 - screen, and when I immediately launched to stop the game from crashing the Thargoid Laser had no hits cross, made a strange sound when fired, but wouldn`t hit anything and had no visible Laser Beam. Also outside the station, when attempting F5 --> crash. Or, better said, an unintentional game ending *shivers*

My observations so far. Would be cool to have a buyable Thargoid Laser (if fitted in in a way so that it fits into the Oolite story imho) but at the moment that doesn`t seem so easy.

Greetings

L
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

One possible use for a captured Thargoid (or even a simulated Thargoid) could be for a mission... maybe to infiltrate a Thargoid fleet, or to locate and dock with a Thargoid battlestation, or maybe a Coriolis which has succumbed to Thargoid invasion, to drop off an elite strike team of Space Marines. Having to sneak through a Thargoid bridgehead invasion force, hoping that the Navy backroom boys have cracked Thargoid transponder technology, could be fairly exciting.

Or, more sinister, it could be used to attack a Co-op system covertly, where the blame would be pinned on the Thargoids... either as part of inter-system rivalry or as part of a Galactic Navy black op.

How such a ship could become available, well... it's a big, strange ooniverse. There were reports a while back of a Thargoid civil war, with Bug ships fighting each other all over the place. And the navy's been paying top dollar for captured Tharglets for ages, now: they must be doing something with them. Nothing is certain.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

@Disembodied

Post by Lestradae »

Really cool ideas :)

I especially like this one:
How such a ship could become available, well... it's a big, strange ooniverse. There were reports a while back of a Thargoid civil war, with Bug ships fighting each other all over the place. And the navy's been paying top dollar for captured Tharglets for ages, now: they must be doing something with them. Nothing is certain.
I would also have imagined a possible background story along those lines. It might be rumoured that they are giving those captured ships out to deadly Commanders for covert purposes ...

If someone made a mission like that based on the Realistic Shipyards using this ship (it could be triggered, say, at buying the ship) I would be very supportive :)

Cheers

L
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

@ Lestradae: I really don't know where your anger comes from. I can't imagine it's from what I have written. And I unfortunately don't know which sinister interpretation you're giving to it. What seems clear to me, is that you're not getting my point.

There is a short answer and a long answer following. The short answer is around your post. The long answer explains my point of view.
Lestradae wrote:
I also want an Ooniverse that is still recognisable as Elite. But we have already established that there is a core version - the build 1.65 or 1.70, perhaps - that is the smallest consensus we can all have.
No. The "core version" includes the canonical information around the game. Things like "The Dark Wheel". And it has nothing to do with the game's version number or a specific build. It has everything to do with the background of the game, which remains the same in all builds.
Lestradae wrote:
But I am definitely and ultimately against starting any attempt to put limitations on OXPs.

Sorry for you, but this is not thought through. Technically it is possible to script an OXP in which Galaxies 1 to 8 would not be GalCop territory, but federal or imperial, half of the planets would be inhabited by races from StarWars/StarTrek and GalCop would never even have existed. But this would not be an OXP (Oolite eXpansion Pack = something that expands Oolite as it is), but a total conversion. Doable, but it wouldn't be Elite anymore. If talking about OXPs, I assume that we are still talking about Elite. So there are some natural restrictions.
Lestradae wrote:
If you, Commander McLane, want your only personal Oolite game which contains exactly what you want and what you don`t want, make one.
No. It is you who constructs your personal Oolite which contains whatever you want, disregarding the logic framework of it, the thing that has been called he "spirit of Elite". What I want is quite the opposite: Maintaining the spirit of Elite by openly debating here on the board what is in this spirit and what is not. And it is by far not me making this decision. There are voices weighing far more than mine. I want to consult and consider them. You don't. You are the one who thinks his personal taste, opinion and wishes rule.

I am a scripter myself, long before you came in here. One major OXP of mine, Anarchies, is released. Others are WIP and won't see the light of the day soon. So it is completely besides the point to put me in the "strict play"-corner. I'm not advocating strict play, I've in fact never enabled strict mode in my game.

And of course the point of OXPs is to introduce something new into the Ooniverse. New stations, new ships, new missions, new twists, new powers and organisations etc. etc. I'm not opposed to that. Not the slightest little bit. What I am advocating is that these alterations and modifications of the Ooniverse are done sensibly. That they are somehow in-line with what we already knew about the Ooniverse before.

And there is - or at least there was in the past - a common sense on this board that there should nothing be introduced into the Ooniverse that openly contradicts (a) the Elite Flight Manual and (b) the "Dark Wheel". These are - or have been to this point - considered as "canonical" for Oolite, setting the stage that in its fundamentals cannot be altered without clearly saying "this isn't the Elite-universe anymore". Many of us would, as far as Oolite is concerned, add (c) "Status Quo" to the canonical works, some of us also (d) the timelines Selezen has worked out and probably some other material. But these latter ones are not unanimously accepted. I for myself would also like to include the agreed-upon Wiki-facts into the "canonic" realm, which - as far as I understand - is a minority position. Anyway, I do think the wiki provides very useful information about the Ooniverse, and many of its facts are in fact derived from the canonic works, either directly or by interpolation.

Have I missed the point in time when a majority here decided to throw all of these overboard? I don't think so.

Am I witnessing the point in time when Lestradae decides not to care about all of these? Maybe.

You feel angered by my objection to your wonderful OXP. I can understand that. You have created something (with a lot of help from the comOonity, by the way), you are proud of it, and you want other people to like it. I understand that. And I do like it, at least partially. I have told you that I appreciate the work you have put into the formula for price calculation. And I have told you that I think this formula is a great tool. We do not agree in the point that it should be made compulsory for everyone, which is what your OXP wants to do, but, hey, the Ooniverse has room enough for both of us. We don't need to agree on everything, and fortunately I don't need to install your OXP. I don't see a problem so far. Do you?

You haven't stopped there, though. You had another great idea: Why not make all the ships which until now haven't been on the market, available as well. Including the Thargoid Carrier. Now, as you have finally understood how shipyard.plist works, and even shipdata.plist (again with a lot of help from others, by the way), you can do it. So you do it, just because you can. And again you want everybody to be proud of you.

And here am I and have an objection. The big Lestradae has created something, and I dare not to praise it. My guess is that this is where your anger comes from. And I can't help you with it. Because the simple truth is that you're not as big as you perhaps feel now. There are people here around Oolite who are way bigger than you. Without the patience LittleBear, Kaks and others showed in answering your rather stupid questions about shipyard.plist, shipdata.plist and the way the wiki works, you wouldn't even have accomplished what you did. And the true giants here are the people who have all this made possible in the first place, starting with Giles. And I also count those who created the other aspects that define the Ooniverse among them, like our novelists. And I think all of us, who are populating their creation, bringing it to life and enriching it with our ideas, are obliged to respect them and their creation. I do. But I have to say I'm missing this respect in your work. And this is the point where I feel that I (and everybody else) would have the right to be upset.

You come here and have far-reaching ideas. Fine. For a start you have very little knowledge of how to implement them, so you ask other people for help. Fine. In case of your planetary systems idea it was me who took the time to think it through and give a long and - I think - quite comprehensive answer on what may be doable, and in what way, and what may be impossible, and what the implications of your idea are. In the present case there were a lot of people helping you out. You take their help. Fine. But you are not prepared to take their opinion and advice as well. And this is not fine, at least not with me.

As mentioned I am a scripter, too. The biggest finished work of mine so far is Anarchies.oxp. One of the main features of this OXP is a profound alteration of how the legal system in Oolite works. (So it is rubbish to accuse me of being opposed to changes as such.) But this OXP didn't come out of my head only. At its very beginning was a discussion here on the board that wasn't even started by me. Many people shared their views on the subject before I even started scripting, so there already was some sort of a common sense about it. It took me almost a year to bring it to the polished version it is now, and I announced, discussed and consulted about every single step of it here on the board. Before it was released. If people had a reasonable objection against any detail I was planning, I took it into consideration, and in many cases changed things according to the objection. The main point is: There was a debate here on the board, and everybody was invited to be a part of it, to shape the OXP while it was in the making. I think this way of OXPing is very much in the spirit of the comOonity-based project Oolite is. And many of the other scripters work on their scripts in a very similar way. Just read through the endless pages of posts concerning Assassins, or Your Ad Here, which literally lives from the contributions by the public.

Not so with you. You don't take contributions from others. You just exploit their knowledge. And you don't respect the framework developed by B&B, Holdstock, Giles, and others. You think it's a cool idea to make a Thargoid Carrier available for players, so you do it. You don't care whether other people think of it as a good idea, you don't raise it as a question (and it could have been a good question to ask here). You don't care whether it makes sense. You do it simply because you can, and the Ooniverse is meant to turn around you anyway, isn't it?

I hold up my argument, because it is a valid point, or at least was a valid point at the time. I am referring to the documentation in the wiki and what it says about Thargoids. Like in the Thargoid Warship (Oolite) page:
It is also believed that the insectoid crew of a Thargoid warship has had their fear glands removed - the warships consistently fight to the death, and will not allow a human craft to flee.
There is also an entry on the Thargon page:
As dead Thargons can be scooped, many of them have found their way to GalCop's research facilities, like the naval research and development complex on Ribilebi. There they are torn apart and examined carefully. It is from scrutinizing these derelict fighter drones that most of the knowledge about Thargoids and their technology actually stems from. Naturally during the research they have become the best understood part of Thargoid technology. Their energy system is fairly well understood, and can be compared to human technology, in which it would rank as having 2 energy banks, which recharge at a medium speed. Also their laser system poses no major questions to researchers. It is also well understood that the distictive green laser colour is due to some specifications of Thargoid laser configuration.
If the scale is magnified in an appropriate way, Thargon research may also give important clues as to the composition and features of the Thargoid warships themselves. None of those has ever been examined, as Thargoids inevitably fight to death, resulting in the complete destruction of their motherships.
There is, however, in order to be fair and to draw the complete picture, also this paragraph on the Thargoids page, indicating that in fact some Thargoid ship wrecks have been recovered, although it seems the information retrieved from their examination does not extend to technological details above the mere blueprint of the ship's interior:
Based on the study of some wrecked ships, Thargoids as a race seem to have a very spartan approach to furnishing and belongings. Crew quarters are practically devoid of posessions other than those necessary for military crewmen. All belongings are functional and necessary.
Anyway, as these are wrecked ships, I don't think it's very likely that they may be repaired, made to fly and sold on the open market again. And even if so, then certainly not with the working original technology, but with ordinary GalCop technology instead, as far as drives and weaponry are concerned. Which means (1) they most certainly would get an exhaust plume, (2) their specifications, most notably speed and manoeuverability, would be downgraded, compared to real Thargoid ships, and (3) quite likely they would be marked somehow, in order not to be confused with the real deal.

Now you are telling us that you have in fact given it a background story. Okay, if it is in-line with the basics of the Ooniverse and doesn't break the canon, then I have no objections. And I would have loved to find that out. But you hadn't mentioned it in your first post. Therefore at the time my objection was justified.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

@Commander McLane

Post by Lestradae »

Can`t find the time to write an answer to your enormous posting due to having a Real Life also, but as you invested the time writing such a long comment concerning your perspective on our dispute I will also do so - but this evening.

:arrow:

L
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Calm down, guys!

Just chill out and relax, that's one big post for each, let's not turn this into a duel. OTOH...

Swords, blasters or Cobras MkI? :twisted:
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
Ace Garp
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Ace Garp »

. . . and here's little old me thinking that this was just a game ;-)

Personally, I think the core game should stick fairly closely to the original Elite,including a few extras from the various platform versions.

.OXP's should then be used to 'add' to the Oolite universe, with 'total conversions' and .OXPs that drastically alter the game, being CLEARLY marked as such.

I've no qualms with these existing, but if they dramatically alter the core idea of the game, people should be well aware of this.

Just an idea (in a calming voice) ;-)
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Cmdr. Maegil wrote:
Calm down, guys!

Just chill out and relax, that's one big post for each, let's not turn this into a duel. OTOH...

Swords, blasters or Cobras MkI? :twisted:
Nah! Blunderbuss and Hot Air Balloons!

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Settle down guys! On the subject of the Thargoid Warship, my 2 Crs is it a really cool idea. I do like the option of the player being able to fly a Captured Thargoid Warship, but I can see the point about it not being realistic for them to come on the open market (even with the restrictions of very high tech, high price once in a blue moon event). I think it would be a great use of the ship for a mission (maybe the player can keep the ship as a reward as in FFE, but of course he is free to sell it again). The ship only being awarded by the Navy for the mission. I think that is in keeping with the Elite Cannon. Although Thargoids activate self destruct and comitt suicide rather than be taken alive, no technolgy is 100% perfect and its feasable that a self-destruct was damaged in battle leading to the capture of an intact ship. Lots of cool things could be done in such a mission (I think all do-able with current scripting). Some time after completing Thargoid Plans you get a message to go to system X and dock with the Behemoth Atlas. The mission is offered, when docked and if accepted the Thargoid Ship is there to buy (at 0 price) in the ship yard. If not its not there (can be done with conditions). Once bought the player is permantley a mega fugitive (reset legal status on every jump to v high number) - its a super secrect operation so the Navy can't tell every lowly GalCop not to fire on you! You can't dock anywhere. (easy to do a forced launch from station whilst the mission is a this stage). Entering the nearby system you must join up and fly in formation with a Thargoid Party - fail to do and they'll attack you and the target is forewarned leading to it jumping out and a mission failed. Maybe as insects flight pattens are part of their communication and not taking up the right place in the Hive Structure alerts them. Once the target is destroyed, the player will have to flee for his life - maybe a Thargoid Ship shouldn't be able to fit an escape pod and perhaps some other things. On complete the word of your herotic deed can be spread and you return to normal legal status and ablity to dock with stations. Everybody knows you a good guy in a Thargoid now - the Navy have now returned your GalCop Transponder so you don't show as "alien" any more, but script a small chance of the player whilst he flys the Thargoid Ship occasionaly been attacked by Cops / Military vessals who fire a few shots and (random chance) radio appologising for their mistake and breaking off. Just a thought or two!
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.