Observations @memory leak Windows Vista with 1.70

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Observations @memory leak Windows Vista with 1.70

Post by Lestradae »

Hi Ahruman & other bug-squashers!

I have observed something which might be interesting for finding the culprit(s) of the Windows memory leak. :shock:

The slow-downs never happen in conjunction with the F6-maps with me. I tried it. I look in, get out, 50 times, in-flight, in the space station, nothing changes.

The crashes-to-desktop happen to 99% either when entering the main station or when exiting witchspace.

The imo most relevant observation: After a crash-to-desktop, there is something going on in the background which doesn`t affect the harddrive much (I can see the read/write on my keyboard, not much changes there) BUT everything is slower up to five minutes after playing Oolite - under Vista, a little looping blue ring appears, and that appears often after such a crash.

A few minutes later, gone. And if I wait for half an hour or so and play Oolite again, no crash, obviously less memory leak. For the same time as before.

And, obviously, the effect is stronger with more OXPs in and weaker with less in, but there anyways.

My hypothesis:

Could it be that a lot of variables are generated (for the core game & the oxps alike) which are then NOT ERASED from virtual memory? Reloaded again and again, stacking? Not even erased after the game ends, even if it ends in a regular, planned fashion?

Because, that would explain why oxps make a difference but don`t seem to be the culprits, why the system stays slow for a few minutes before it recovers (still upkeeping a Gig of unnescessary variables in virtual memory perhaps?) and why this happens usually when entering a station (NOT when exiting, mind!) and entering a system: Those are the moments when lots of variables are defined by the game, aren`t they :?:

Think about it: The textures are there all the time, so they can`t be the reason - my game is not slow in-flight, and that with everything I have in!

A possible solution :?: :!:

Perhaps, seeing to it that unused variables and cache elements are properly deleted by the core game before going on to the next iteration? Automatic cache-flushing every now and then? And, obviously, an autosave at the witchpoint - at least a crashed game doesn`t have to restart at the beginning completely ...

Don`t know if this helps, but logically there might be something to that :?:

Puzzling :?

L
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Re: Observations @memory leak Windows Vista with 1.70

Post by JensAyton »

Lestradae wrote:
My hypothesis:

Could it be that a lot of variables are generated (for the core game & the oxps alike) which are then NOT ERASED from virtual memory?
Yes. That’s what a leak is. :-)
Not even erased after the game ends, even if it ends in a regular, planned fashion?
The memory is always freed up when an application exits, even if it crashed (unless Vista is a much worse operating system than I thought). However, Oolite’s memory-hogging behaviour causes other stuff to be paged to disk. Reloading this paged-out data is the cause of the slowness.
Perhaps, seeing to it that unused variables and cache elements are properly deleted by the core game before going on to the next iteration?
The trick is to find the ones that are being leaked.
Automatic cache-flushing every now and then?
The cache is flushed every time you dock, but this doesn’t decrease memory usage.
Ean
Poor
Poor

Post by Ean »

Windows XP, Oolite 1.71 (Mar 10 and 11 builds), PCC, x-ships, Random hits, UPS courier 1.3.5 oxps.

NO CRASHES, memory seems to be well constrained, looks like you got it. :D
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Cool… and it’s not like the fix is even there yet. :-) (The problem with unpredictable bugs is that they don’t happen predictably.)
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Ahruman wrote:
(The problem with unpredictable bugs is that they don’t happen predictably.)
I predicted that!
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"