Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

localhero oxp ALPHA

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

What triggers getting the success message? Lat night I was doing the 7th mission, killed a load of the bad guys, then i killed a random trader scooped his cargo and got the success message. I thought it was triggereed by you getting a certain number of kills? It's possible he was carrying a bad guy's escape pod but I'd already scooped loads of those...

I assume the bonus cash you get is for extra escape pods?
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Sorry, I was some days off.
Timm74 wrote:
This time I got a message that I succeeded while in flight, however, when I landed: Fingernails again and Harkov escaped. I expected more gratitude for bringing in a captured leader of Harkovs group ...
As Eric says, it was a problem in the first versions. Update to 1.03.9 and it should be over. And read the FAQ (included in the .zip).
Hoopy wrote:
What triggers getting the success message?
The trigger is a variable 'goal' and changed when you have killed or captured one of the bad guys. It is checked be the tickle-event, so it is possible that you will get it up to 10 seconds later. But it shouldn't be changed if you have killed a trader and scooped his cargods or escape-pods. And you will get the message on every change (kill/capture) again.

And the bonus is based on your number of harkov-kills, harkov-captures and number of dockings while a mission is running.
davcefai
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by davcefai »

I have the same problem with mission 4.

I received the "mission complete" signal during flight, knocked off another Harkovian and returned to base. I then got a "fingernails ticking off" and was told that Harkov has left the system.

Please note that downloading v1.03.9 from the wiki unzips to give v1.03_3 date stamped 15/02/2008. Is this right?
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

davcefai wrote:
Please note that downloading v1.03.9 from the wiki unzips to give v1.03_3 date stamped 15/02/2008. Is this right?
The stamp should be 25/02/2008. I've just downloaded the latest version and everything is ok. Maybe the WIKI-Software has not reckognized it right. If the problems stays, I'll upload it again. Please try it again.
davcefai
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by davcefai »

It looks like I was "reporting" either a Linux bug or a davcefai bug. :oops:

However the version I downloaded last night is in fact stamped 26/02/2008.

Either Konqueror or I did not refresh properly!
davcefai
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by davcefai »

Unfortunately the OXP isn't quite right yet.

I loaded my saved game, where I had already knocked off 4 of the Harkovs but had to RTB to refuel. The phone rang (?!) suggesting I look at the System Status screen. Nothing special there.

Episode1:
Launched, met the gang. There were 2 groups of 3 ships each. I engaged one of them. The Group Advisor met an untimely end when the rocket he fired just before his ship broke up blew up next to his escape capsule.

I then went looking for the other lot. Did not find them but got a "Mission Completed" message (just 1). When I docked I got ticked off for polishing my fingernails.

Episode 2:
Launched, again met 2 groups of 3 but this time engaged both of them. Killed 4 and got the "Mission Complete" message. Killed the other 2 while getting more "Mission Complete" messages. Docked and ..... see above. :(
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

davcefai wrote:
I loaded my saved game, where I had already knocked off 4 of the Harkovs but had to RTB to refuel. The phone rang (?!) suggesting I look at the System Status screen. Nothing special there.
You are right. I just took a look in the script and there was a missing check in the docking counter handling. And the phone thing is just a reminder, but I haven't changed the text. Thanks for notifying me. :D But be aware that the docking counter is still active if you load a saved game.

v1.03.10 is online. Both things should be fixed.
davcefai
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by davcefai »

Thanks. I was able to complete the mission successfully.

However the "phone" bug is still there: Phone rings but no message on the F7 screen.

One more suggestion: I had a problem downloading v1.03.10 because it was named 1.03.zip (like the previous version) and therefore Firefox simply grabbed it from the cache.

I got around this by using another PC to download it but a lot of people:
1. May not have this option.
2. may not realise what is going on or even know about clearing the browser cache.

Looking forward to my next mission. (only a couple of jumps away.)
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

davcefai wrote:
One more suggestion: I had a problem downloading v1.03.10 because it was named 1.03.zip (like the previous version) and therefore Firefox simply grabbed it from the cache.
The same thing happens with the latest version of the ore processor.

Ok this is a formal request for version numbers to be included as part of the filename on all OXP updates. I'll be watching you all
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

davcefai wrote:
Never thought of that, but yes, it could even be that worse. What Svengali did was update the version on Wiki with a new version. This is what I did before with UPS. But the Wiki than puts the file "in the old one". Or better, the new file gets the same name and fictive length as the old one. After downloading the contents was always OK with me.

But as far I understand internet, there might be relay servers that store a backup up the file. Whenever you want to download the file from the wiki this relay server might think: "He I have that same file already here". And send you the old one he cached.

This is a bug in wiki that he let believe that the update is still the same file as the old one.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

davcefai wrote:
Yes, this can happen, sorry I haven't thought about it. I never run into this trouble because my Firefox is configured to clear the cache when it's closed.
TGHC wrote:
Ok this is a formal request for version numbers to be included as part of the filename on all OXP updates. I'll be watching you all
The main reason for me to choose the same name was to avoid 1.000.000 different versions on the WIKI. I think Webspace does cost some money (?) and only a sysadmin can delete old files and I don't wanted to give Winston every second day a call to delete the old ones. And I thought that deleting files is a NO-GO on the WIKI.
Eric Walch wrote:
But as far I understand internet, there might be relay servers that store a backup up the file. Whenever you want to download the file from the wiki this relay server might think: "He I have that same file already here". And send you the old one he cached.

This is a bug in wiki that he let believe that the update is still the same file as the old one.
So maybe there is a way like for HTML-Pages to refresh the cached one (meta...expires)? I think I'll ask Winston or maybe Ahruman knows a solution for that. In my opinion it would be better to refresh the cache than to blow up the database.
davcefai wrote:
However the "phone" bug is still there: Phone rings but no message on the F7 screen.
Yes, but the displayed text has changed. It is a reminder after loading a saved game that there is a mission running. I think a lot of people have more than a few saved games and if loaded they will know that there is something on the run. What do you think. Should I remove it?
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

It is a reminder after loading a saved game that there is a mission running. I think a lot of people have more than a few saved games and if loaded they will know that there is something on the run. What do you think. Should I remove it?
Absolutely not. I'd even like to have a screen with all the running missions, status, etc, but that'd apparently mean messing with the core, so... :cry:
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

Can all OXPs also have the version in the OXP name and on the OXP page on the wiki.

Then it's easy to see the version number of all your installed OXPs and compare it on the wiki to see if any need updating.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

I second that

Post by Lestradae »

Can all OXPs also have the version in the OXP name and on the OXP page on the wiki. Then it's easy to see the version number of all your installed OXPs and compare it on the wiki to see if any need updating.
As a player of Oolite, I would find this very practical. With my own OXP, I`m already doing it like that.

One look, and you know if you have the most current update.

:idea:

L
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Cmdr.Maegil wrote:
Absolutely not. I'd even like to have a screen with all the running missions, status, etc,...
That would be handy. To know it before loading a saved-game and a detailed list while playing would be nice. The last thing could be done with an Oxp.
Hoopy wrote:
Can all OXPs also have the version in the OXP name and on the OXP page on the wiki.
Then it's easy to see the version number of all your installed OXPs and compare it on the wiki to see if any need updating.
I've uploaded a renamed version (localhero_1_03_10.zip). Winston has said that this is the easiest way to avoid confusions. And I'm already using the version number and the update date on the WIKI-Pages. So everybody who wants to download this Oxp or has some trouble with it can see if there is a new version.
Lestradae wrote:
As a player of Oolite, I would find this very practical. With my own OXP, I`m already doing it like that.
There is already a discussion about a new form of the OXP-Table. And maybe we can ask Kaks for an updater-prog that was discussed before. But for all these things we need a consense.