Ship Pricing OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Hoopy wrote:
@Ahruhman
Is it not possible to have javascipt and old style scripting in the same OXP? If so the js could see what else was installed and then tell the old script which prices to change...
The shipyard data is not a script, and cannot be manipulated by a script. It’s static data that scripts cannot control. You can’t do anything with it with any script.

(In answer to your literal question, yes, you can mix JS and legacy scripts in the same OXP. But you can’t use either to manipulate the shipyard.)
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Anyway, thanks for the formula. I think it gives a very good idea of how a specific ship should be priced, so I do warmly recommend it to all scripters.

Yet I think the ship's creator, while having it as as guideline, should be ultimately responsible for the price-tag he chooses. And I think, if there is a fitting background story, there can be ship with a dumping-price (it should have a downside, though, like being extremely rare), and I welcome also ridiculously overpriced ships. (I'm astonished that according to your formula the FdL ends up not too far away from its shipyard.plist price. It is meant to be well overpriced.)
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Commander McLane wrote:
Anyway, thanks for the formula. I think it gives a very good idea of how a specific ship should be priced, so I do warmly recommend it to all scripters.

Yet I think the ship's creator, while having it as as guideline, should be ultimately responsible for the price-tag he chooses. And I think, if there is a fitting background story, there can be ship with a dumping-price (it should have a downside, though, like being extremely rare), and I welcome also ridiculously overpriced ships. (I'm astonished that according to your formula the FdL ends up not too far away from its shipyard.plist price. It is meant to be well overpriced.)
I agree, There's a brilliant lightweight AC Cobra that outperforms it's equivalent Ferrari (except on cornering, but after all it's American!), and the Ferrari is £100k more
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Well, soon everyone will be able to choose ...

Post by Lestradae »

... because the very first test version of the Zzzz Realistic Shipyards OXP is being tested on my system as we speak and seems to work properly.

Only problem I found (sudden crash to desktop in the shipyard every fifth time I buy a newly priced ship) seems to come from a known ships with subentities bug that I was told would be squashed in 1.71.
Thanks, replies like that show me I`m on the right path ... ships are the most expensive commodity in the game and I think it`s much better for the atmosphere and game mechanics alike if their pricing (and placing at Tech Levels, my OXP changes that also according to the ship`s quality) follows some internal logic.
Yet I think the ship's creator, while having it as as guideline, should be ultimately responsible for the price-tag he chooses.
I`m sorry, but I really don`t agree (see above). But, well - with my OXP, everyone can choose if they want ships which`s price and availability is in relation to their performance or "individually priced" :twisted:
I'm astonished that according to your formula the FdL ends up not too far away from its shipyard.plist price. It is meant to be well overpriced
I don`t think it`s overpriced. It has a speed of 0.6 LS and one of the best maneuverabilities of all ships that aren`t completely Uber. That`s why it costs more than 600.000 Cr and will soon be available at all TL 11+ shipyards across the galaxies.

One thing changes with my formula in the relationships. Really crappy ships like the Adder (now at 29.500 Cr, TL 1+), for example, get cheaper than they were before. Really Uber ships, like the old version of the Imperial Courier (now 2.850.000 Cr, TL 14+) or the SuperCobra (1.622.000 Cr, TL 14+) get much more expensive than before. But that`s intended, and offers new possibilities of strategy concerning the acquiration of new ships. Which ship you buy when now becomes a real career path choice, I think.

<Testing>

L