Frontier:First encounters - will drop pants for food

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Frontier:First encounters - will drop pants for food

Post by Griff »

Just been playing the OpenGL version of Frontier First Encounters and i'm finding it really tough, some ill advised trading has left me heavily in debt with just enough money to buy a small amount of fuel - my only way out is a 1000 credit mission for the Federation delivering some blank forms to the next system but everytime i arrive at my destination an assassin pops up, tells me i'm going to regret my choices and slices my ship up with either a yellow or white beam laser ie. a very powerful one, surely this is a bit excessive for just running some paperwork to the next star system!??!

My flippin' 1Mw pulse laser is useless and i'm really tired of seeing that stupid spinning gravestone every two minutes - i've nearly bitten through my mouse cable in frustration.

So, can anybody here recommend some nice safe trading runs? was it always this hard to get started or is there something wrong with my game? it's supposed to be a modded version by 'Anistropic' that's supposed to balance the gameplay more fairly but it just seems much tougher than Frontier: Elite II on the Amiga
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

If you don't get an answer here, your best bet is to go to the EBBS, the Frontier experts reside there.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Thanks for the link TGHC! I got some good tips on smuggling nerve gas over there! :)
I've just printed out a few blank market price charts on works printer so i can pencil in the prices next time i play, there must be something more exciting than transporting grain.
edit: found some trade route FAQ's at that link, thanks again TGHC!
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

YW :D glad to have helped.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
VPR
Poor
Poor

Post by VPR »

My flippin' 1Mw pulse laser is useless and i'm really tired of seeing that stupid spinning gravestone every two minutes - i've nearly bitten through my mouse cable in frustration.
I don't know what ship you have but try getting behind the attacker and then use your thrusters to match speed if they have a slower ship. If not use missiles when your close or coming head on.

The main trick to FFE combat against a superior opponent is surviving the first pass which will be the most dangerous part. Then evade their fire until their laser overheats, once this has happened then make your attack. Keep on the offensive and don't allow them to recover shields. With more than one attacker it gets more interesting but take down the better armed ships first and use missile to distract anyone else causing you problems.

The best advice really is to avoid a fight at the start, once you have shields, Naval ECM and a decent laser then start on more active systems.