Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Some ideeas

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

cultist
Competent
Competent

Some ideeas

Post by cultist »

Adding ships that require more than one person to fly (some big ships)
Adding skills
(making ships unavailable without skills and equipment)
Making Anarchy systems skill intensive,and other systems according to skills (if you pilot i light ship,dont go into feudal,its a killer).
Making galaxies centre stars more civilised and safe and those from the rim unrully,maybe even some thargoid invaded ones.Maybe even make whole systems (cluster of stars) one government...
I`m still thinking about something to keep me going to play this game...
Maybe allegience between the navy or targons?(and with acquiring of loyalty points to be allowed to visit targoid homeworld or something like that).To make missions for them (like in freelancer).
Be gentle,it was not my intention to offend anyone
Thank you.

Another thing i just remembered.From reading planet descriptions many are "colonised" with human colonists?
Maybe some wars of independence from natives?Or something between these lines

Anyway this is the best Elite remake i ever saw,i wish it could be transfered to mobile phones :D it would be the blast
I`ll either find a way or make one!
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Re: Some ideeas

Post by Captain Hesperus »

cultist wrote:
Adding ships that require more than one person to fly (some big ships)
Are you talking in terms of hiring crew? As was the case in Elite's decendants?
cultist wrote:
Adding skills
Like what? And what benefit would they add to the game?
cultist wrote:
(making ships unavailable without skills and equipment)
I would kind of think that the cost (or rarity) of a ship, rather than the fact that you don't have the skills, would be the primary cause of it being unavailable.
cultist wrote:
Making Anarchy systems skill intensive,and other systems according to skills (if you pilot i light ship,dont go into feudal,its a killer).
So you're saying that systems with the least stable governments should have more hostile ships? That's already the case.
cultist wrote:
Making galaxies centre stars more civilised and safe and those from the rim unrully,maybe even some thargoid invaded ones.Maybe even make whole systems (cluster of stars) one government...
Where would you assume the 'centre' was? If you mean the very centre of the Galactic Chart, then that would put Lave (the seat of GalCop government) out in the badlands.....
cultist wrote:
Maybe allegience between the navy or targons?(and with acquiring of loyalty points to be allowed to visit targoid homeworld or something like that).
There is the Galactic Navy OXP. How would you go about performing missions for the Thargoids?
cultist wrote:
Another thing i just remembered.From reading planet descriptions many are "colonised" with human colonists?
Sounds good, why not start OXPing?
cultist wrote:
Anyway this is the best Elite remake i ever saw,i wish it could be transfered to mobile phones :D it would be the blast
You'd have to speak to Selezen about that....... ;)

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Gadget
Average
Average

Post by Gadget »

cultist wrote:
best Elite remake i ever saw,i wish it could be transfered to mobile phones
Me 3... but I don't think it will happen anytime soon :?

But the pocket PC version of Elite is not bad,
http://www.eliteppc.com/

The current beta's are at :

http://www.eliteppc.com/BT102/elite102x9_arm2002.exe
http://www.eliteppc.com/BT102/elite102x8_arm2000.exe
http://www.eliteppc.com/BT102/elite102x8_mips.exe
http://www.eliteppc.com/BT102/elite102x8_sh3.exe

(not being developed any more, but seems pretty stable)

AND I've found a way around the 30 day evaluation period too!! :lol: [/url]
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Captain Hesperus wrote:
Where would you assume the 'centre' was? If you mean the very centre of the Galactic Chart, then that would put Lave (the seat of GalCop government) out in the badlands.....
Have you looked at the stats lately? Rich Ag, Dictatorship, TL 5, famous for rainforests… Lave is a backwater. :-)
Captain Hesperus

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Ahruman wrote:
Captain Hesperus wrote:
Have you looked at the stats lately? Rich Ag, Dictatorship, TL 5, famous for rainforests… Lave is a backwater. :-)
true, that's what the stats do say. But I go by the fiction that mentions that the GalCop central government is based on Lave Coriolis One and that the most famous (in fact the only mentioned) space flight school is there. Maybe that should be added to the Lave.oxp...

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

cultist wrote:
From reading planet descriptions many are "colonised" with human colonists?
There are a lot of planets suffering from "civil wars"... perhaps some of these are between natives and pockets of colonists.

As a remake of Elite, Oolite has taken the -- necessarily -- simplistic original background to the game. While some OXPs can flesh this out a little, most of the work really has to be performed by the player's imagination!

For most of the inhabitants of the oooniverse, life is probably fairly backwards and/or oppressive, not to say brutal and short. The Galactic Co-Operative means very little to the serfs tilling the fields of a Poor Agricultural Feudal planet, or the mind-numbed drones of an Industrial Dictatorship, or the Corporate wage-slaves. We, the pilots, are the lucky ones. We're out, and free: and, shameful to admit, we don't really care about the suffering billions toiling away at the bottom of all those gravity wells. A two-line description tells us all we want to know about them, their planets and their lives.

The Co-Operative is for our benefit, largely, as long as we keep the wealth flowing between the worlds, and filling the pockets of the rich and powerful who dominate the various polities. There must be peasants, cold and hungry, who look up at night to the wormholes blossoming open against the stars, who see us as little high-riding tin gods, unshackled, uncaring, doing whatever we please. Probably, they envy us. Probably, many of them hate us, too. But what's that to us? Open a wormhole: fly away.
Captain Hesperus wrote:
I go by the fiction that mentions that the GalCop central government is based on Lave Coriolis One and that the most famous (in fact the only mentioned) space flight school is there.
Lave is still a backwater. That's probably why the central authority is there, on Coriolis One, along with the Flight School. You can't put something like that in a powerful system: none of the other powerful systems would agree to it. Lave has "compromise" written all over it.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Captain Hesperus wrote:
true, that's what the stats do say. But I go by the fiction that mentions that the GalCop central government is based on Lave Coriolis One and that the most famous (in fact the only mentioned) space flight school is there. Maybe that should be added to the Lave.oxp...
I thought Lave.oxp did add learner-pilots.

Anyway, lots of capitals on Earth are backwaters. Nothing strange there.