Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Slow gameplay

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Killer Instinct
Dangerous
Dangerous

Slow gameplay

Post by Killer Instinct »

I'm suffering with very slow gameplay and frequent shutdowns. Using 1.70 with a lot of OXP's. Game is looking better than ever and I'm enjoying the new crafts/missions ect.. I'm thinking that having all these OXPS's installed is the problem, I've been to the Wiki to download the latest/new OXP's. Any suggestions to cure this problem?
It's a fine line between clever and stupid
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Have to add that this is the best looking version of the game by some margin.
Second that. I've got the feeling that the internal resolution has changed. Is it so?
Any suggestions????
Yes. Remove all OXPs. Then start Oolite with clearing of the cache (hold down the shift-key). Play a little bit. Take a look in the log. If everything is ok, put one Oxp back, start Oolite with cache clearing, play a little bit, take a look in the log... and so on.

BTW: The latest version of an OXP doesn't mean that it is fully compatible with Oolite 1.70. Slowing down can be caused by the intensive use of the scriptActionOnTarget-method that is implemented in some Oxps. Others have been corrected to work with 1.70. The use of this method causes a very intensive interaction between all 'global' scripts. And the more are installed the more interaction will happen.

Can you post a list of your installed oxps?
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Svengali wrote:
Any suggestions????
Yes. Remove all OXPs. Then start Oolite with clearing of the cache (hold down the shift-key). Play a little bit. Take a look in the log. If everything is ok, put one Oxp back, start Oolite with cache clearing, play a little bit, take a look in the log... and so on.
It should’t be necessary to manually clear the cache if you add or remove OXPs. It’s only needed if you change files within an OXP.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

I'm always changing files within an OXP. :D
Killer Instinct
Dangerous
Dangerous

Took a long time trying to sort all the OXP's out yesterday. Went to the wiki site and downloaded a complete set of fresh OXP's. Please note there appears to be a problem with the Tiger OXP zip file on the wiki site- Random hits also flashed up a problem on loading the game (currently removed) I checked with all the read me files for compatablilty with 1.70 before installing. Ran the game, it crashed. Removed all OXP's and the game, installing a fresh copy. I'm now adding in OXP's one by one to check where there is a crash or slow gameplay. Is this really the best way to look for the needle in the haystack at the moment - or is there a faster way, or several needles? I have a playable game and the local hero missions going and about 1/3 of the ships available (I used my old copy of tiger zip - though don't have the cash to buy it yet). I do like to play a full game as possible with as much going on as possible. Comments and Suggestions please.
Svengali
Commander
Commander

Post by Svengali »

Killer Instinct wrote:
I'm now adding in OXP's one by one to check where there is a crash or slow gameplay. Is this really the best way to look for the needle in the haystack at the moment - or is there a faster way, or several needles?
I think, it's currently the only way to fiddle this out. And there are several needles. Read the oxp-related topics. Most Oxps have to be rewritten because of the changed engine (and some more or less little bugs in v1.70).
Random hits also flashed up a problem on loading the game
The problem is not so easy. Try it one time as standalone-oxp. You will see that it is working. Some problems will only be there if a combination of oxps is used. So it's not so easy to say this one does not work. LB has already made some changes and it should be working a lot faster than before.
I have a playable game and the local hero missions going
Hope you are using the latest version (v1.03.6). Uploaded it today.

But back to the slow gameplay. If you are using all 'big' mission oxps - think about it. Some of them are placed in one galaxy and can be removed until you jump in that galaxy (I'm nearly shure that you already know this). Currently I just can say that Erics scripts (and the scripts he has changed) are working (UPS, Military Fiasco and Thargoid Wars). Kaks Hotrods should be working too. But the JS-scripting is new and it could be that we will find other issues. We will see.

Anyway, I think Oolite is still the best!
Killer Instinct
Dangerous
Dangerous

Anyway, I think Oolite is still the best! 8)

You are spot on there. Thanks for the heads up on OXP'ness(mess). I've removed all the big OXP's for the moment. I'm in G2 having just completed Ionics. I'm not sure other than Thargoid Wars (removed) what else interferes in G2. Looking to move on with LocalHero to some sort of conclusion (new version is ok atm). Want to move on with Nova,Thargplans and the cloak mission sooner or later. Game time is limited (I'm off sick atm). I think completing Thargplans gives me the full ironbutt required. Then and only then I'll install renegades..!
Reading through the boards, there are many issues with OXP's and 1.70, but I've avoided all that are listed. Obviously I'd like to add them all in without crashing, I'm happy atm just to be playing a stable game.