asbestos ups trumbles (spoliers!)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

asbestos ups trumbles (spoliers!)

Post by Hoopy »

what's going on then? I carry some stuffed trumbles for UPS, one escapes and it's fireproof! My ship explodes from getting too hot before the trumble did! It actually gave birth with the cabin temperature past red and into the pink!
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Re: asbestos ups trumbles (spoliers!)

Post by Eric Walch »

Hoopy wrote:
what's going on then? I carry some stuffed trumbles for UPS, one escapes and it's fireproof! My ship explodes from getting too hot before the trumble did! It actually gave birth with the cabin temperature past red and into the pink!

That happened me also twice. Almost indestructible trumbles that bread instead of getting bbq-ed. And when it happened the first time shortly after saving, it has a good change that the odds on the second try are similar. UPS has no influence on that behaviour, it is standard trumble behaviour and depends on .... that would be a spoiler.

But on the good side: I have programmed UPS so that trumbles only escape once per galaxy. When you eventually get rid of him, you are save for a while.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Nobody said that it would be easy to get rid of Trumbles! :twisted:

The same thing can happen to you with vanilla 1.65.

The art of frying Trumbles does (as far as I understand it) not so much depend on the peak temperature, but on the duration of continuous exposure to heat. So generally you have to stay in your own discomfort-zone as long as possible.
Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

I twice left myself parked with 1 pixel on the altimeter. After about 5 minutes the cabin temperature got too hot and I exploded :(

Can anybody recommend a nice hot star in galaxy 4? And I seem to have run out of curry sauce to go with them...
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Just a quick question: You do have a heat shield installed, do you?

If not, try visiting the next Salvage Gang. You might find one on occasion there. The shop keeper has even tiled his own outside-balcony with it! :wink:
Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

yes. I was parked pretty much on the surface of the star, at least 5 seconds of witchspace injecting straight down from the level i started scooping fuel
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

It’s been a while since I did it, but I think that’s exactly the wrong way to go about it.
Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

so slow roast rather than flame grilled?
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Yeah. At a certain point from the star your temp starts creeping up. Nearby it goes up quickly and further away slowly. If your very near the star, you'll only get a few seconds at the correct cooking temperature which is not enough to kill them before you explode. Further away (as the increase is slower), you can stay in the zone for long enough without dieing yourself.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

ok. normal trumbles have always died before the temperature got into the pink. I guess this is a hardy batch from the Hesperus's breeding research labs...
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

It depends on the star. Bigger stars have a more gradual temperature gradient.