no one will help you...

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

FSOneblin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

no one will help you...

Post by FSOneblin »

I was going to a system when I got a cry for help, Image

Is this a bug? I don't know what else to say. Now I'm going to add to this and make this into a travelers tale.

I'm using verson 1.70
an ibook g4
newest verson of mac os x
Don't panic

Now an "adult!"
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Thargoids crying for help surely is a bug.... :?
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

:D :D :D

I seem to remember to have encountered this once or twice.

Anyway, I'd love to "help" them ... terminally! :twisted:
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

It’s, er, a sneaky tactic they’ve adopted.

Are they gone? I think they bought it.
Influence D
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Influence D »

I've had a similar thing with some pirates - though their status was Offender they started squawking for help when I started shooting them, and sending me 'leave me alone!' type messages. when they ejected and I scooped their pod, it said I'd 'captured' such-and-such a name - but when I got to the nearest base, their insurance company paid me for 'rescuing' them...

it's only happened the once, though...
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

This is actually not so similar.

Chances are that it wasn't a pirate, but some unlucky trader who had tried to deal in a little bit of illegal commodity. Of course this made him "offender". But still he was only a harmless trader who tried to get away from you and/or to beg for mercy, and not a ruthless pirate and murderer like you! :twisted:
FSOneblin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by FSOneblin »

There was no pun intend, buy the way.

Anyway, I found, not a bug, but an... error, maybe? In galaxy 3, there are two planets, ditere and altaar, that are unreachable. Someone should make an oxp that has it sells free uber ships there, if it not fixed.
Don't panic

Now an "adult!"
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Some systems being unreachable was part of orginal Elite, so is reproduced in Oolite. You can get there, if you make a Galactic Jump from the previous Galaxy in the same place on the chart.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

That is not a bug.
Oolite galactic maps are identical with the Galactic maps of the original Elite.
The idea of a mission expansion pack with those planets is not new (I cannot find the thread right now). I am wondering why it hasn’t implemented yet.
Last edited by Ark on Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FSOneblin
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by FSOneblin »

Ok, glad to know it's not a bug. To tell you the truth, I never herd of elite till I learned how to play this game. Thats all, for now.
Don't panic

Now an "adult!"
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

LittleBear wrote:
Some systems being unreachable was part of orginal Elite, so is reproduced in Oolite. You can get there, if you make a Galactic Jump from the previous Galaxy in the same place on the chart.
Which you should be careful to avoid! If you find yourself in a small collection of isolated systems, and none of them are TL 10 or over (high enough to sell Galactic Hyperdrives), you'll be stuck there for good. Always back up before making a G-jump...
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Is there such a place where you could be marooned in the fiendish manor you describe? :shock: That system would definetley by crying out for a mission with a n awarded Galactic Hyperspace drive as the prize. However rich your Commander, that would be a prize indeed! :twisted:

A Marooned.oxp in fact: "Commander Jameson lent back in his Command Chair having made a Galactic Jump from XXX in Galaxy Y. He had an important mission waiting for him in Galaxy Z and didn't want to be delayed in purchasing a new Galactic Hyperdrive for his final jump. Hurried he instructed his Advanced Navication Array to bring up the cordinates of the nearest system with sufficent tech level. "No such system within jump range" answered the AI. "What do you mean, no such planet within jump range?", he cried. "No such planet can be reached from this system as all such planets are beyond this vessels maxium jump range.", confirmed the AI smuggly. His million credit bank balance was useless to him. He was trapped in this back water only able ever to visit XX systems. "A Drive", he cried "My Imperial Courier for a Drive!"
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Don't know for sure... The "island" in Galaxy 3 is made up of Atlaar (TL7) and Ditere (TL10, so that's OK). Galaxy 6 has two pocket systems of two stars each in the bottom-right corner, but I don't know what their names are. Their numbers on the starchart are 41 and 202, and 55 and 33. Anybody currently in Galaxy 6? Can you let us know what these two 2-planet "islands" are like? Do they both have TL10+ worlds in them?
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Okay, I found and downloaded the planet spreadsheet. Assuming I've looked up the right galaxy, then the two "islands" in Galaxy 6 are made up of Tetier (no. 33) TL 4, and Estebiin (no. 55) TL 11 -- so that's OK; and Beanxeat (no. 41) TL 8, and Qutius (no. 202) TL 2 -- so that's NOT OK. If you're near the bottom left-hand corner of Galaxy 5, take great care when jumping up to Galaxy 6! You could end up in the Beanxeat/Qutius Island of No Return. No return without diddling with your save file to add a Galactic Hyperdrive, anyway.

another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Right now, Oolite will NOT let you end up in an isolated system. Currently the code ensures that the destination planet is connected with the rest of the world and if it is not, it will reposition you to the nearest planet that is near your entry point and is connected. So, at the moment there is no way to reach, for example, Oresrati in G8, the lower left sector of G7, or the islands of systems in G6 mentioned above.

There has been some discussion about this on the Berlios dev lists some time ago. It was decided to be left as it is, because of the possibility of having players trapped in a system with no way out, other than maybe editing a save file. A player could arrive at such a system without knowing it is isolated, dock and save and that would be it. Still, I would like to know what the general concensus is. Would you accept the risk of entrapment in a system?