Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Asp Explorer HUD trouble

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Svenson
Above Average
Above Average

Asp Explorer HUD trouble

Post by Svenson »

Hi,

not sure which forum to put this in, so I trust to a moderator to set me straight..

I've just chopped my trusty BOA II in for an Asp Explorer... the trader life has got dull since I passed my third million. Problem is I don't think the shipyard serviced the Asp properly.

The background for the instruments appears 2" lower than the bars themselves.

Unfortunately the shipyard refuse to help, so I have to fix it myself.

Anyone know what is causing the problem is and how to solve it?

Svenson
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

I made the Explorer, so the fault is partially mine - but also the difference between various versions of Oolite poses a problem.

I'm playing on the PC version 1.65 and the HUD is where it is supposed to be. However, the later versions calculate the position differently and thus it is misplaced for anyone using a version above 1.65...

If you edit the hud.plist file of the asp explorer (probably named like aspexphud.plist or something else easily recognised, you will find the horizontal and vertical position coordinates that you need to adjust in order to get the HUD properly placed.

As soon as the PC version is updated to 1.70 or some other, I will also try to remember to fix this.
Author of Tales from the Frontier - official Elite 4 anthology.
Author of Marcan Rayger adventures - unofficial fan-fic novellas set in the Frontier universe.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

The PC version is already updated to 1.70. See the announcement on the top of this forum.
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

Ah, but it is a TEST release... But, well, I'll try installing it! :)
Author of Marcan Rayger adventures - unofficial fan-fic novellas set in the Frontier universe.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

I am pretty sure that there is a generic problem with updated huds in the latest version. I have seen the problem on a few ships, and I think there was a thread or two about it somewhere.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Wolfwood wrote:
Ah, but it is a TEST release... But, well, I'll try installing it! :)
Remember that you don't have to uninstall 1.65 if you install 1.70. If you are currently playing on 1.65, you can continue to do so. Just install 1.70 in a completely separate folder. This way, you will be able to switch between versions by just running the appropriate RunOolite.bat and test your OXP, at the same time enjoying the game on the last officially stable version.

Oh, and the version that you installed last will be the one to which the shortcuts in the Start Menu will be referring to.
Svenson
Above Average
Above Average

Hud Sorted

Post by Svenson »

Thanks for that. HUD sorted. -175 appeared to solve it. Gonna have to sell though. 5T cargo is just not enough. Loved the speed and the handling, but boy do I miss having a reasonable load capacity

Torn on what to have instead... the Cobra mk III still appeals, but I quite fancy a courier as well.... ahh choices, choices

Svenson
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Cmdr James wrote:
I am pretty sure that there is a generic problem with updated huds in the latest version. I have seen the problem on a few ships, and I think there was a thread or two about it somewhere.
To be precise, it’s a bug with misplaced HUDs in 1.65 and earlier on non-Mac systems.
Svenson
Above Average
Above Average

HUD Solution and a new machine

Post by Svenson »

Thanks for your help sorting this. I succumbed to a low mileage trade-in on a Rapier with the extra cargo bay. Unfortunately with the same HUD module as the ASP, but at least I could sort it..... boy what a machine that Courier is.... think I have found my ideal machine!

Rafe Svenson
Last edited by Svenson on Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cmdr James
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Cmdr James »

Um, I now have misplaced huds on mac (dont know about non mac) on trunk. Is it related to using a widescreen monitor (macbook pro)?

I know this is the pc thread, but Im replying to a comment :)
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Cmdr James wrote:
Um, I now have misplaced huds on mac (dont know about non mac) on trunk. Is it related to using a widescreen monitor (macbook pro)?

I know this is the pc thread, but Im replying to a comment :)
I suspect you’re using a HUD designed on a Windows or Linux system which had the misalignment bug and is therefore itself buggy.
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

Sorry, I didn't have time to fix my ships last weekend, but I'll try doing it ASAP! Already downloaded the 1.70 test release...
Wolfwood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wolfwood »

Ok, the version of Wolf's Variants in the Wiki is now updated. It also includes a new ship that was supposed to be a part of a mission OXP, but I never actually finished that one... :?
Svenson
Above Average
Above Average

Fuel Scoops

Post by Svenson »

loving the rapier, but can it take a fuel scoop?

Rafe