courier

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

j f gearing wrote:
I think I've made a twit of myself (what's new)
I was expecting the P and S lasers to be forward firing
I'm sure i've been attacked by ICs like this

Apologies all round

JG
To answer it once and for all:

In Oolite NPCs and player-ship lasers are two different matters, only slightly related to each other. NPCs can have multiple front lasers, which player ships can't. So what you have seen attacking you is an IC with his three front lasers (one mounted in his nose, the other two in the nacelles; so if you shoot off the nacelles, these two will be gone).

This has nothing to do with port and starboard lasers. In Oolite NPCs cannot have port and starboard weapons, only front and rear. So you will never be attacked in the way Hoopy describes as one possibility to take on a Thargoid Carrier.

Player ships, however, can have laser mounts in all directions (which does not imply that all ships actually have these laser mounts; there are a lot of ships that can fit only front laser, or only front and rear). These work in exactly the same way for all player ships, so no difference here between an IC and a CobraIII: The laser points straight away from the ship. So your front laser fires to the front, your rear laser fires to your back, and your port and starbord lasers fire to, well... errm... your port and starboard side, respectively. You activate them when, and only when you chose the respective view. There is no way of firing backward while looking through your front screen, or firing forward while looking through your port screen. (Although external views are more flexible in this respect: Whatever external view you are looking at, pulling the trigger will fire the laser in the direction you had activated last. (There may be an underlying bug in the code at this point. At least I don't know what the "weapon_facing" = FORWARD; in all external view-definitions actually does. It seems superfluous to me.))
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Commander McLane wrote:
Cmdr. Maegil wrote:
Selezen wrote:
NPC versions have two front facing lasers as in Frontier
Nope, that's surely bad eyesight!
Besides, it's two mistakes in one sentence! If I understand correctly, the ImpCourier in Frontier has one front laser, while the NPC-ImpCourier in Oolite has three.
Leave the poor man alone! If you'd ever seen his 'To-Do' list (I've seen it, it's immense) you'd forgive him for a moment of OXP senility.

Captain Hesperus
.....defender of the common man
The truth, revealed!!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Captain Hesperus wrote:
Leave the poor man alone! If you'd ever seen his 'To-Do' list (I've seen it, it's immense) you'd forgive him for a moment of OXP senility.

Captain Hesperus
.....defender of the common man
Oh, I love to leave the poor man alone. And if it were only to give him time to finish the Aquila... (and you're right, I have not seen his todo-list; and if you're right with its proportions, I don't desire to see it) :wink:
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Wait a minute, are you lot calling me senile? You...well, actually you're probably right.

I can barely remember what I'm doing from day to day, never mind what I've done in the past. One shipinfo.plist runs into another these days.

If you're interested, McLane, see the to do list at http://hughesd.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.ph ... p=463#p463

Mu ha <cough>