courier

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

j f gearing
Dangerous
Dangerous

courier

Post by j f gearing »

is there any point in fitting port and starboard lasers to an imperial courier.
they do not seem to achieve anything and do not show to be firing when using external views

Thanks

JG
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Are you using the V1 or V2 of the Courier? The main difference is that the V2 had cool spinny nacelles and four missiles, the V1 has 6 missiles and is UUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuberfast.

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

That's strange. I've flown both versions (v1 first, v2 now), and have four perfectly working lasers in both of them.

When did you buy the port and strbd lasers? There is a known bug with laser purchasing in Oolite 1.70! So, perhaps try to fit them in a previous version and then return to 1.70.
j f gearing
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by j f gearing »

I think i have been using IC 1
have now installed 2 and will try to buy it somewhere
My machine (vista) seems to do all sorts of odd things in Oolite
Anything above 1.68 will not run
Thanks

JG
j f gearing
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by j f gearing »

I have just bought P & S Mil lasers for IC v1 at dicebe in G4 using v1.68
They do not seem to work
My memory may be at fault here (senility) but weren't the beams blue

Thanks

JG
Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

yes there is. Thargon carriers take 4 full cycles from a military laser but don;t really move much. So stick a military laser on each of the 4 ports and you can take them out without having to wait for things to cool down. And get the 2000Cr :)
j f gearing
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by j f gearing »

I think I've made a twit of myself (what's new)
I was expecting the P and S lasers to be forward firing
I'm sure i've been attacked by ICs like this

Apologies all round

JG
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

The Imperial Navy version does indeed have 3 forward facing guns. Unforunatly its a cut down version thats available to ordinary civillians with only 1 forward gun mount.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
j f gearing
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by j f gearing »

No worries
I've got a plumber's pipe bender kicking around somewhere

JG
ovvldc
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ovvldc »

LittleBear wrote:
The Imperial Navy version does indeed have 3 forward facing guns. Unforunatly its a cut down version thats available to ordinary civillians with only 1 forward gun mount.
I know that OOlite only allows multiple guns for NPC ships, but now we have flexible camera viewpoints and gun positions.

Would it be possible to make a ship with the left and right weapon mounts turned to another forward and backward position, respectively?

That way, you can have two forward-facing lasers, though you still cannot fire them at the same time. Given the short time it takes to overheat a military laser anyway, switching and continuing to fire would be a close substitute.

Just a thought,
Oz
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

ovvldc wrote:
LittleBear wrote:
I know that OOlite only allows multiple guns for NPC ships, but now we have flexible camera viewpoints and gun positions.

Would it be possible to make a ship with the left and right weapon mounts turned to another forward and backward position, respectively?

That way, you can have two forward-facing lasers, though you still cannot fire them at the same time. Given the short time it takes to overheat a military laser anyway, switching and continuing to fire would be a close substitute.

Just a thought,
Oz
A nice one! It'd maybe involve 'cloning' the front view to the side views, and making the side lasers move away from its normal central position. Plus, rotate between them quickly and presto: three military pulse lasers firing in sequence!

The biggest difficulty could be to effectively point them forward, tough.
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

From what's been said before I think there would have to be a big code rewrite to allow multiple weapons on each direction.

NPC versions have two front facing lasers as in Frontier - unfortunately the Player version (V1 and V2) only have one for each direction...

Sorry...
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Selezen wrote:
NPC versions have two front facing lasers as in Frontier
Nope, that's surely bad eyesight!
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Hmph...I could have sworn I've seen images of Couriers letting rip with two front lasers. Oh well...
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Cmdr. Maegil wrote:
Selezen wrote:
NPC versions have two front facing lasers as in Frontier
Nope, that's surely bad eyesight!
Besides, it's two mistakes in one sentence! If I understand correctly, the ImpCourier in Frontier has one front laser, while the NPC-ImpCourier in Oolite has three.