Configurable effects

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

JonB
Average
Average

Configurable effects

Post by JonB »

Take a look at this thread: https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=4071

It's turned into a wish list, so I'm posting a question here.

I would like to see more rendering configuration options (other than "Reduced Detail") that would allow Oolite to run on slower machines. I think it would be nice if I could pick which effects to keep and which to drop in the context of what processing power my computer has.

In the post I mention the Asus EEE PC. I'm really keen to get Oolite running well on it - at the moment, I only get 4 fps when docking, for example.

Please, please consider this facility for your next stable release. I can't imagine adding some switches to the graphics engine would cost that much programming effort, especially if they were accessible via the command line (in other words, not needing alterations to the Game Options UI).

Cheers

JonB

PS, Pretty please? :)
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Re: Configurable effects

Post by JensAyton »

JonB wrote:
I can't imagine adding some switches to the graphics engine would cost that much programming effort,
Relative to the amount of time spent working on Oolite, they would.
especially if they were accessible via the command line (in other words, not needing alterations to the Game Options UI).
That is an awful design decision which I don’t intend to take.

Anyway, if the problem arises specifically while docking (rather than generally while being near the station), it’s a fill rate issue. There’s not much overdraw in the standard station models, so there’s very little that can be done. *googles a bit* … except, if you’re using 1.70, turn of shaders. If they’re enabled, that could make a huge difference.
JonB
Average
Average

Post by JonB »

I don't think adding little used command line switches is a bad idea. Even Windows can use them. As to design decision(s), I'm not trying to make any, just asking for a very useful feature that isn't in there already (AFAIK). This is the "Suggestion Box", isn't it? No need to shoot me down in flames.

The performance problem's not specifically docking, it's overall performance related. I gave the docking scenario as an example, but (also by example) any time the screen shows lots of objects, or the planet surface it grinds to a halt (nearly) then speeds up after you pull up so they're not on screen anymore.

Remember : Not everyone has the latest whizz bang graphics card, or can install it. Doing something like I suggest will target a wider audience.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Hey, I don’t have the latest whizz-bang graphics card. But if it slows down when the screen is filled by a station, there’s not much that can be done in the way of reducing complexity (except turning off shaders and switching to wireframe mode in 1.70), because there aren’t really any effects to turn off.

…although, come to think of it, there is the texture size limit option I added for testing purposes. It can be activated by setting the key "max-texture-size" to, say, 256 or 128 in Oolite’s preferences. Unfortunately I’m not sure offhand how to go about that in Linux. I really should make a note of this stuff. :-)
JonB
Average
Average

Post by JonB »

There's probably a ".ooliterc" file in the home directory - will check it.

Also, I have on order a 2G memory card, so I hope that will improve matters for the better.

I'll let you know.

Thanks!

JonB
cleopas
Poor
Poor

Post by cleopas »

jonb
any news about performance of running oolite on eeepc with the increased ram? i don't own one yet since i'm holding out for a eee 8G for sale in the uk..
JonB
Average
Average

Post by JonB »

Yes. The frame rate is up a bit but it is still unplayable, even when "overclocking" (I think it should be called "rightclocking" in this application) to 900Mhz.

There are some improvements in 1.70 that may help... so I'm waiting for that. In the meantime, it's Speccy Elite for me.

:)

Oh, incidentally (and off topic), the 8G uses the mini-pci-e slot for the flash disk and the motherboard has none. So you might be better off getting a 4G and then buying an 8gig mini pci-e card (when available) which'll give you 12gigs total.
cleopas
Poor
Poor

Post by cleopas »

speccy elite? wow, that addiction is pretty strong! to be honest i'm a little surprised that the eee can't handle it. I've actually stopped playing oolite because i never have the time, but with an eee i could play on the train to work :)

continuing the slightly OT discussion - i heard that the mini-pci-e slot is removed in more recent versions of the 4G (from wikipedia: Some 701 models with serial numbers starting at 7B do not have a second mini PCIe slot soldered onto the motherboard, though the circuit traces and solder pads remain) you must have a 7A.
in which case the 8G is more attractive, since a pci-e slot is preferable, especially when prices of ssd come down. (mmmm 64gb)