Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

3333 kills

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

magamo
Competent
Competent

Post by magamo »

Commander McLane wrote:
As far as graveyard-location is concerned: I think you can find it via your compass. If not, then just fly around a bit. (And of course you'll never going to find it if you're anywhere else than Tionisla (or haven't installed the OXP).) :wink:
I know in my version of TGY (which may be quite old by now) the graveyard was not marked on my ASC. However, if you've ever read "The Dark Wheel" it's in the same location as described there. I hope that hint might help. ;)
Viper
Above Average
Above Average

6402 kills!!!

Post by Viper »

Hi Commanders,

i reached 6402 kills,
now I'm ELITE.

I love Thargoids!!!
With "whichdrive malfunction" you could make 50 kills a flight or more.

best regards,
Viper
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Cheers!
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Congratulations, that man!
Barman, another round of your most expensive drinks and stick 'em on Viper's bar tab!!

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Viper wrote:
i killed 4444 enemies!!
Just this week I thought there was a bug in Oolite. When I wanted to open my last game I saw (9999) somewhere on the load screen. Often such a number means a overflow somewhere, until I realised I just saved the game at that moment.

Now up to the next 10 000 kills !
Kaiserspike
Competent
Competent

Post by Kaiserspike »

3333? whoa, i've just hit 333, whats my problem!
Guard your Poems Lobster meat!
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Kaiserspike wrote:
3333? whoa, i've just hit 333, whats my problem!
You're a noob, that's your problem! :twisted:

But fear not, time and experience cure that...!
Now, all you have to repeat that some twelve more times and you'll be ELITE!
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
Kaiserspike
Competent
Competent

Post by Kaiserspike »

A noob after a fashion,been playing this version for over a year! not steadfastly enough it seems!!! Big fan of the original and of Frontier! (recently found the floppy disk box with those timelines and little fiction book in my attic,ah.) Oolite is way better!
Guard your Poems Lobster meat!
Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

Once you're able to fight your way through the spacelane of an anarchy and are able to beat thargons and kill all the (inactive) tharglets you'll find your number of kills go up quite fast. OXPs like pirate coves which give you more rock hermits and more stuff to shoot at help as well :)
Captain Hesperus

Hoopy wrote:
Once you're able to fight your way through the spacelane of an anarchy and are able to beat thargons and kill all the (inactive) tharglets you'll find your number of kills go up quite fast. OXPs like pirate coves which give you more rock hermits and more stuff to shoot at help as well :)
And not forgetting, ships with sub-entities (the Imperial Courier V2, the Dark Wheel Cobra Mk. III and a few others) award a 'kill' for each sub-ent destroyed. That means, if you are very careful and cautious, you can gain a massive number of kills just from the DW Cobra!

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

for almost the opposite reason being discussed in another thread, doesn't that make the DW cobra a bit of an uber ship?

What I mean is - that doesn't seem right / fair.
Captain Hesperus

Hoopy wrote:
for almost the opposite reason being discussed in another thread, doesn't that make the DW cobra a bit of an uber ship?

What I mean is - that doesn't seem right / fair.
Not really, it still has the same energy level as the standard cobra so shooting it will still deplete the energy and destroy it as normal. You have to be very precise to hit the various sub-entities and patient to allow the Cobra to survive long enough to expose the various sub-ents. I for one have regularly 'mis-fired' and blown the ship up as one piece, gaining only the single kill.

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

oh i see. so you have to hit the sub-entity enough times to destroy it to get the kill. That number of hits makes the ship pretty weak so you have to wait for it to recover enough so you can do the same again to get further 'kills'.

that's fair enough, if you're bored enough to go through all that palaver just to get a few extra kills, rather than just killing it and then going on to something else then good luck :)

Actually, I think i accidentally did all that wilth a ship that was a really pointy triangular based pyramid with an extra engine on each face. Can't remember the type though...
Captain Hesperus

Hoopy wrote:
Actually, I think i accidentally did all that wilth a ship that was a really pointy triangular based pyramid with an extra engine on each face. Can't remember the type though...
Was it a Basilisk or a Hydra from the Military Fiasco OXP (military.oxp)? It sounds a bit like the Basilisk since the Hydra is more of a circular-based pyramid.
<EDIT> Duhhh, I think they call a circle-based pyramid a cone......

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

basilisk - that's it.

I must admit I've forgotten which ships are the military fiasco ones so i never know if I'm advancing in it. OTOH I shoot anything that moves so it doesn't really matter :)