What is Military Scanner Filter?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

What is Military Scanner Filter?

Post by ArkanoiD »

Purchased one, does not seem to do anything ;-)
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Purchased one, does not seem to do anything
It is not ment that a player can buy one. But there is code that the player can use it. This is probably some unfinished work that is not fully tested.

What it should do is make ships unvisible on rader. For NPC ships that have them it works well. (the player does not see them).
With the player it is automaticaly activated, but I could not detect that ships see me any different when I have it. By the code I should be undetectable for them like cloacking.
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

I was under the impression that it was an implementation to over-rule the Scanner Jammer.

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

I was under the impression that it was an implementation to over-rule the Scanner Jammer.
You are right, I was reading to fast. What I sayd was abaut the military jammer (or better: Military Anti-Scanner Countermeasures (MASC'M)).

The filter does undo that. You should be able to see ships with the jammer active. This is also not buyable for the player but should work for him.

I just tested this with a ship with military scanner jammer active. Whit the antijammer active you can see the ships on your rader but in a greyish color. So its working. I'm just woundering why it not used in an OXP.
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ArkanoiD »

Captain Hesperus wrote:

Captain Hesperus
Never seen one as well nor NPCs using it.
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ArkanoiD »

Eric Walch wrote:
You are right, I was reading to fast. What I sayd was abaut the military jammer (or better: Military Anti-Scanner Countermeasures (MASC'M)).

The filter does undo that. You should be able to see ships with the jammer active. This is also not buyable for the player but should work for him.
Black Monks sold me one!
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

ArkanoiD wrote:
Eric Walch wrote:

Black Monks sold me one!
That must be some kind of bug. The BlackMonks stations have a very high TechLevel, but not high enough to make these "Easter Egg" items buyable, that are actually nowhere used in the game. The most educated guess is that either Aegidian planned to do something with them, so he implemented them in 1.65, but never actually got around to do it, or some of the OXP scripters planned to do something with them, so Aegidian on request implemented them in 1.65, but the requester never actually got around to do it.

Why an equivalent_tech_level of 15 is sufficient to offer items that have a techlevel of 99, is a mystery to me. In which version of the game did you buy it? If it was in 1.70, then this may be an indication that something is still broken with equivalent_tech_level (which was completely broken in 1.69.1).