Safari prefs

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Safari prefs

Post by Commander McLane »

Yesterday I updated my OS to 10.4.11 without looking too closely beforehand, and got Safari 3 along with it.

I wouldn't specifically bother, but now my buttons in the BB look ugly, especially those for inserting tags into this text. It's all square, with thick outlines; imagine something directly opposite to the elegance you would expext from OS X. Bah! :evil:

Does anybody by chance happen to know how I could get the old look back? I tried the Safari preference panel, of course, but didn't see anything in it.

Thanks!
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

AFIR mine has always looked like that, so I don't see it as ugly, it's just normal. In fact i's quite user friendly (it must be if I can use it!)
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Well, mine was different, at least until yesterday. Round, button-like buttons. More or less aqua-style. (I can't send a screenshot, of course, as it's no longer there.)

Surfing with tabs, however, seems a nice improvement.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

This is a new “feature” in Safari 3. File a bug with Apple (Safari -> Report Bugs to Apple…, or http://bugreport.apple.com/).

Tabs were there in Safari 2, too. You just had to turn them on. :-)
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: North Norfolk, UK, (Average Agricultural, Feudal States,Tech Level 8)

Post by Star Gazer »

Yeah, Safari 3 may be an improvement in many ways, but it doesn't always look as subtly understated as 'we' have come to expect from Macs with Safari 2.

Tabs are crucial. Once you use them, anything else is pants!! I'm writing this from work (it is my lunch-time!!), on yer actual PC in IE 6.0, and the lack of tabs is a pain in the butt! I play the on-line game Astrowars, and when preparing for battle, tabs means I can run several pages with different streams of information, and just flick back and forth, calculating chances of success, etc.

The nature of my job means that I do a huge amount of on-line research, buying, and obtaining printed copy of data sheets for machines and chemicals, and it would be a much easier task if I could implement tabs, especially when researching and comparing information prior to buying new equipment.
Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my clothes...
HueijRevisited
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by HueijRevisited »

Star Gazer wrote:
Tabs are crucial. Once you use them, anything else is pants!! I'm writing this from work (it is my lunch-time!!), on yer actual PC in IE 6.0, and the lack of tabs is a pain in the butt! I play the on-line game Astrowars, and when preparing for battle, tabs means I can run several pages with different streams of information, and just flick back and forth, calculating chances of success, etc.

The nature of my job means that I do a huge amount of on-line research, buying, and obtaining printed copy of data sheets for machines and chemicals, and it would be a much easier task if I could implement tabs, especially when researching and comparing information prior to buying new equipment.
Why not upgrade to IE7? Although not much better than IE6, it has tabs. Or use Firefox, or better still, Opera.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Star Gazer wrote:
Tabs are crucial. Once you use them, anything else is pants!!
Pretty much yes, I mainly use IE7.0, or occasionally Mozilla, the only problem I have with tabs is that sometimes (old habits die hard) I click on the X in the top RH corner to close instead of clicking on the tab itself! WAAAAAAAH!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Star Gazer »

Ah, well, I have no control over what I'm allowed to have on my computer at work! IE 6.0 is as good as it gets at the moment!

"The SYSTEM WE HAVE IS THE SYSTEM WE HAVE...", thus spake the IT Services Manager... we can't even change the time on the desk top clock so that it shows the right time... :roll: (I got hauled over the coals by our College Principal for losing the plot one morning and calling the aforementioned Manager a useless w***er...)
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Star Gazer wrote:
Ah, well, I have no control over what I'm allowed to have on my computer at work! IE 6.0 is as good as it gets at the moment!

"The SYSTEM WE HAVE IS THE SYSTEM WE HAVE...", thus spake the IT Services Manager... we can't even change the time on the desk top clock so that it shows the right time... :roll: (I got hauled over the coals by our College Principal for losing the plot one morning and calling the aforementioned Manager a useless w***er...)
Sounds familiar, except at my Uni they appear to be in a spate of perpetual upgrade. Almost every week, there is a new icon appearing on the desktop or in the taskbar. Although a few months back there was a serious kerfuffle when they found that a Computer Tech who had been fired previously had installed copious spyware and was monitoring and by-passing the firewalls and security software! Sometimes there is an advantage to minimal Administrator input....

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Star Gazer »

Captain Hesperus wrote:
... a few months back there was a serious kerfuffle when they found that a Computer Tech who had been fired previously had installed copious spyware and was monitoring and by-passing the firewalls and security software!...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ...they were lucky they hadn't really upset him...!!!
I'm retiring next January 31(YYYYYYYYYESSSSSSSSS!!!!!! :mrgreen: ), and loads have people have been asking what I'm going to do to all my crucially important files when I leave... :twisted: ...they only have the resources to back up one months data at a time... :twisted:
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Ooooh you naughty boy! :lol:
nijineko
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by nijineko »

take it with you. ^^ then charge them a consulting fee to get it back. ^^
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?

Play games. Win Amazon gift cards! Brag. Repeat.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

McLaine wrote:
Yesterday I updated my OS to 10.4.11 without looking too closely beforehand, and got Safari 3 along with it.
I today also made this upgrade. I was warned about the buttons. But I also love the new things. Specially the build-in option to spell-check. It's just a mac feature, but safari 2 didn't used it and I often wrote my messages with a separate program. I think this is very useful for non English people.