The Search for OXP's

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Jason Whitelock
Above Average
Above Average

The Search for OXP's

Post by Jason Whitelock »

Having wet my appetite scratching through the wiki on absolutely everything - decided to load up some oxp's getting very excited about seeing the falcon, the dredger, new sounds, some extra missions and so on.

Having deposited them in the right place, loaded up my save to drool over all the weapons that i cant yet afford. Took to flight and went for a spin.

Unfotunatley the whole session dies whenever i see a falcon, whenever i go near a dredger and the asteriod mission on 'that planet near lave which is well known for asteriod activity' just never turns up.

Is there a knack to loading oxp's - should some only be run in conjuction with others ??
I now have a corrupt save as loading the save without the oxp's loaded seems to crash the session yet again.

An unhappy space captain trying to run before he can reverse out of a sapce hanger without scratching his hull !!!!
SOLO
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Sorry for your mishap!

The Asteroid Storm mission starts only when you have at least 64 kills on your name. If you haven't yet, then there is nothing to do but go out and clean some systems from their pirates! (Or honest traders, for that matter, but be warned, this will have a negative impact on your legal reputation.)

For the corrupted save-file: No, most likely it is not corrupted. But if you happen to have bought a new ship from one of the OXPs, and then reload your commander without that specific OXP installed, well, what do you expect? His a** is sitting right in nirvana, you know. And this makes it really difficult to continue a life-as-usual. So: in again with the OXP, and your problems will be gone.

The same thing could probably happen, when you buy a piece of equipment that comes with an OXP, and then uninstall the OXP again. How do you expect the engine to recognize this piece of equipment again? So it may stall.

As for the rest of it: Could you be more precise? What do you mean by "the whole session dies whenever i see a falcon, whenever i go near a dredger"? Does Oolite crash? The Falcon, being from Charlie, is quite buggy (no offence meant to Charlie). But the Dredger is not known to cause crashes. Or what does happen to you?

Anyway, whenever something strange happens to you, you should take a look into Oolite's logfile. If you see strange error messsages, please post them here. They may be more helpful for finding out what's wrong than your lyric descriptions (again, no offence meant).
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Loading OXPs is as simple as unzipping the file you downloaded, taking the [nameOfOXP].oxp folder and dropping it inside your AddOns folder. It is true that sometimes one OXP may interfere with another, but these are rare cases. It is recommended that you install OXPs one by one, ensuring everything runs as expected and then moving on to the next.

I would guess that you have bought weapons or a ship that is exclusive to one of the OXPs you installed and then removed. In this case, a crash on attempt to load a saved game is a possibility. Try putting back the OXPs and you will probably find out that you can load your file again. In any case, to avoid savefile corruption situations, do not just save over the same game all the time, use three or four slots and save sequentially, so that you can return to a previous save if things go awry.

[Edit: Commander McLane was faster]
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

another_commander wrote:
[Edit: Commander McLane was faster]
He's probably flying a Ferdie :wink:
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Jason Whitelock
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Jason Whitelock »

Being a sad IT person - I have kept backups so havent lost too much time or creds.

>>> I will have to go and clock up a few more kills for the asteriod mission :o)

>>> the falcon - 4 times I have had one nearby, in my sights (felt bad shooting at it as my old 'teen handle' was of course 'solo' not from sitting ALONE at my pc # I am from that generation #)
Each time - the executable window running the app just dies leaving me sitting staring at whatever rubbish desktop image i have set.

>>> the dredger - tried to dock twice using the docking computer ( i remember as a boy saving for what seemed years to buy one of these) and on both occasions the sequence hung leaving me sitting in space with no controls and no obvious activity in space - had to shut app.

I will go back to an older save and introduce the each one incrementally - may take me some time as you guys are coming up with new oxp's all the time by the looks of it.

Think someone needs to right OXP's for the following:
Doctor OXP - signs you off for a month so that you can stay at home and get some quality time piloting the Ooniverse
Divorce OXP - similar to above but gets rid of 'her indoors'
And of course a fully networked version of the game. But of course then I would get killed pretty quickly :o)
SOLO
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

The Falcon: The falcon.oxp can be quite buggy, so I'd suggest you just play without it, until there will be a new version.

The Dredger: Yes, I forgot, there is an issue with docking with it. Try doing it manually. And don't be shy to fly through its back wall, if the docking sequence hasn't started yet. It seems the docking bay isn't placed quite correct in the model. I had that trouble as well when I tried it the first time.
Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

I've found some OXPs causing some problems. So just add them one a t a time and let the forum know if you hit a problem.

They can conflict with each other, specific versions of oolite or you could have a ship that doesn't exist anymore as described above.

You may find that some slow things down so much that you don't want to use them. Although I think 1.69.1 limits the amount of objects they can create in an explosion which helps a bit.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Falcon OXP has at least one quite serious error in it:
In its shipyard.plist, line 55, which reads <dict>, should in fact read </dict> (closing the dictionary for the Falcon-player entry). Running the development Oolite version's OXP verifier on it reveals a few other points of concern, although these should be non-fatal, like view_position_* and max_missiles, which do not apply to this category of ship.

As you see, this is a very good candidate for your game crashing. I suggest, just like Commander McLane did earlier, that you steer clear of this particular OXP, unless a new, corrected release comes out.
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Re: The Search for OXP's

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Jason Whitelock wrote:
An unhappy space captain trying to run before he can reverse out of a sapce hanger without scratching his hull !!!!
I've had that exact problem for years, but it never made me sad......

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!