Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Migrating from PC to Mac

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

mark_au
Poor
Poor

Migrating from PC to Mac

Post by mark_au »

Hi people

Im loving oolite, I was a big elite fan back when i had my cbm 64 and later my amiga...

Im currently running the PC version, but im considering switching to a mac as im needing to upgrade soon and i dont really want to go down the extortionate vista path.. Will i be able to save my current status , copy over my save files and pick up where i left off when i switch to a mac.. or will i need to start off as harmless again ;-(

thanks for your help
regards

Mark W
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Hi, Mark, and first of all welcome the the boards and of course to this great game! :D

I think (which means I'm not 100% sure) the save files should just be the same on every system, so you should easily be able to port them from one computer to another.

Just make sure that you have the same OXPs installed on your new computer than you had on the old one. Especially if you are using a ship from an OXP. If that OXP is not there anymore when you reload your commander, Oolite may crash.

Last but not least: Congratulations for your decision to switch to a decent computer! :lol:
mark_au
Poor
Poor

Post by mark_au »

Commander McLane wrote:
Hi, Mark, and first of all welcome the the boards and of course to this great game! :D

I think (which means I'm not 100% sure) the save files should just be the same on every system, so you should easily be able to port them from one computer to another.

Just make sure that you have the same OXPs installed on your new computer than you had on the old one. Especially if you are using a ship from an OXP. If that OXP is not there anymore when you reload your commander, Oolite may crash.

Last but not least: Congratulations for your decision to switch to a decent computer! :lol:
cheers thats what i was hoping was the case
ilnar
Above Average
Above Average

Post by ilnar »

it is the case,,
i have both systems:)
windows xp laptop anna mac desktop,
and i regularly switch between them
:D
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

even the OXP's are cross compatible, so you kan keep those too. :)
ilnar
Above Average
Above Average

Post by ilnar »

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstor ... ck=expbuy3

Although, dell still do the 6400 with xp
mark_au
Poor
Poor

Post by mark_au »

Rxke wrote:
even the OXP's are cross compatible, so you kan keep those too. :)

woo hoo, i guess that settles it then, macbook pro here i come ;-) :D
mark_au
Poor
Poor

Migrated to mac now joystick control non existant

Post by mark_au »

Hi Guys

I have migrated ok to the mac book, oolite runs ok however one thing im very disappointed about is the lack of support for joystick control in the mac verson.

I kinda imagined that i could plug in my attack 3 and at least have basic joystick axis control even if i couldnt program keys . However i dont even get that. The logitec profiler software that comes for the PC is excellent however there is no such version for mac. I have downloaded usboverdrive and that gives some basic support which is pretty lame IMHO. Even the basic up down left right axis controls have to be mapped to keys. That makes it almost impossible to control the cobra...

Does anyone have a better solution, or am i missing something fundamental with the set up.
Mark W
Unix - where commands look like line noise
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

1) Use the mouse.
2) Implement joystick support. :-)

Yes, I know it sucks. It’s on my To Do (Later) list.
mark_au
Poor
Poor

Post by mark_au »

Ahahaha

Cheers

I have a to do list like that as well ;-)
Mark W
Unix - where commands look like line noise
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: North Norfolk, UK, (Average Agricultural, Feudal States,Tech Level 8)

Re: Migrated to mac now joystick control non existant

Post by Star Gazer »

mark_au wrote:
...downloaded usboverdrive and that gives some basic support which is pretty lame IMHO. Even the basic up down left right axis controls have to be mapped to keys. That makes it almost impossible to control the cobra...
...ahhhh hah...

...so it wasn't just me being totally useless!! I tried both a Wingman II and the macally iStick with USBOverdrive(which I've recommended to people wanting joystick control!!), but I've always said that I preferred keys to control Oolite, as I could never get the fine control I prefer for aiming.

Yes you get more manouevrability with a joystick, even under overdrive, but that's not much use if you can't hit a target the size of the python more than 1 shot in 5!!! :roll:
Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my clothes...