Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

mission status

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

mission status

Post by Hoopy »

It would be nice if there was someway you could tell what your status was with the various missions.

Maybe a list of all the completed missions and a percentage complete for those in progress?

Example (SPOILER ALERT)
On the deposed mission there a few places where nothing happens for a few jumps, if I could read somewhere that I was 23% of the way through it then I'd know hang around rather than buying a GH and doing the Nova mission.
END SPOILER

I guess that if each oxp set a flag called Mission_Percentage_Name with a percentage then the game could look for flags starting with Mission_Percentage_ and display the name and number.

Obviously this would mean all the OXPs would need amending...
GothStag
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by GothStag »

Not a bad idea but wouldn't it detract from the mystery that some missions have. I'm on a mission and there was mention that if I got s certain something to a certain somewhere there'd be a big battle! :D

That'd be time to try out some more of the nice new missiles I've got from the new missiles OXP! :twisted:
In memory of ma homey H-Dog.
Krunchin tha numbaz with tha Angels.

http://www.midstateoffice.com/index.php
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

I second that. I like the thrill that comes from not knowing how far I am from the end.
Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

Good point - it is fun not knowing how much is left to do... Maybe it should just say active or complete then.

I just found that the mission in question has a couple of pauses and I might have missed the rest of it.
Ramirez
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ramirez »

It's a tricky balance between keeping the mystery and making sure the player doesn't get bored waiting for events to happen. Certainly in the Trident Down OXP I've tended to compress things down a lot so there's not too much dead time between missions - however I deliberately spaced out some of the locations to help with the pacing.

The idea is perfectly sound from a technical point of view though, and may well be appropriate for some missions.

Gothstag - if you're referring to the Missiles and Bombs OXP, do let me know how you get on with it as I haven't had much feedback so far.
Download Resistance Commander plus many other exciting OXPs HERE
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

I'm inclined to agree, it does not need specifics, just some sort of flag to say you are on a mission not yet completed.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
GothStag
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by GothStag »

Ramirez wrote:
Gothstag - if you're referring to the Missiles and Bombs OXP, do let me know how you get on with it as I haven't had much feedback so far.
I am indeed Sir! It's very good! Well done! :D

I like the anti-pirate defence mine. Just let it go & let those 4 missiles chase 'em and a lot less than an energy bomb. The frag missile is nice as it doesn't appear to need to impact a ship. I haven't tried the rest out yet but I do have an EMP missile which should help me against those damn renegade pirates. Next renegade I see is getting his/her circuits fried! :twisted:
In memory of ma homey H-Dog.
Krunchin tha numbaz with tha Angels.

http://www.midstateoffice.com/index.php