Scanner Zoom Levels

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Scanner Zoom Levels

Post by Hoopy »

I find that I only use the scanner at 1x, 2x and 5x. And sometimes I want more zoom (eg when trying to collect all the cargo in a big cloud).

Does anybody else think that the zoom multiples should be geometric rather than linear? eg 1x, 2x, 4x, 8x or 1x, 2x, 5x, 10x?

If I'm being really picky then I'd like the scanner to remember that I've pressed 'Z' 3 times so it would zoom all the way from 1x to 4x rather than me having to wait for it to zoom to 2x and then having to press again, wait again, press again. I still like the way it takes a while to zoom though - it's just that I don't have time to wait when a nearby group of ships suddenly all decide that they dislike me!
GothStag
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by GothStag »

I think a zoom down button would be helpful when you're at 2x zoom and some ships decide to help their pirate friend.
In memory of ma homey H-Dog.
Krunchin tha numbaz with tha Angels.

http://www.midstateoffice.com/index.php
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

GothStag wrote:
I think a zoom down button would be helpful when you're at 2x zoom and some ships decide to help their pirate friend.
Shift+z

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
GothStag
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by GothStag »

Captain Hesperus wrote:
GothStag wrote:
Shift+z

Captain Hesperus
Cheers Cap'n! :D

I have the PDF Oolite reference sheet but is there any other keyboard commands that may be useful. A complete list would be great.

Captain Hesperus

This page has a full list of the keyboard map, although considering some of the (accidental?) extra debugging tools reported in this very forum, it may be out of date a bit. I think it's probably time to update the PDF reference sheet. I'd do it of course, but I only have a .pdf reader, not a....errrm, writer.

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
GothStag
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by GothStag »

Once again cheers Cap'n! :D

May your lasers never overheat!

Captain Hesperus

Your thanks would mean more if I could just persuade you to accept one of these cute and fluffy Trumbles to accompany you on those long interplanetary trade runs. Their calming chirping FAR outweighs their some-times annoying propensity to fuse your life support circuits to the drinks dispenser, so that ordering a 'standard-caf coffee with cream and two sugars' actually pumps radioactive chlorine gas though the majority of the living areas. Go on, take the challenge, only Cr30.:wink:

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Captain Hesperus wrote:
This page has a full list of the keyboard map, although considering some of the (accidental?) extra debugging tools reported in this very forum, it may be out of date a bit. I think it's probably time to update the PDF reference sheet. I'd do it of course, but I only have a .pdf reader, not a....errrm, writer.
Whilst warming my slippers in front of the fire and waiting for nursy to give me some Horlicks :twisted:, I had a look at this and to my surprise saw H - emergency hyperdrive. I had a little play and couldn't get it to do anything! so can someone please enlighten me
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

TGHC wrote:
Whilst warming my slippers in front of the fire and waiting for nursy to give me some Horlicks :twisted:, I had a look at this and to my surprise saw H - emergency hyperdrive.
That’s because it doesn’t do anything.
GothStag
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by GothStag »

Captain Hesperus wrote:
Your thanks would mean more if I could just persuade you to accept one of these cute and fluffy Trumbles to accompany you on those long interplanetary trade runs. Their calming chirping FAR outweighs their some-times annoying propensity to fuse your life support circuits to the drinks dispenser, so that ordering a 'standard-caf coffee with cream and two sugars' actually pumps radioactive chlorine gas though the majority of the living areas. Go on, take the challenge, only Cr30.:wink:

Captain Hesperus
Ahhh so you're the one that keeps offering me Trumbles. I've heard about them and thanks but no thanks. :)

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Captain Hesperus wrote:
This page has a full list of the keyboard map, although considering some of the (accidental?) extra debugging tools reported in this very forum, it may be out of date a bit.
Dear Captain, as I myself personally updated the page only last week (adding e.g. all these extra debugging tools), I can assure you that it is not out of date.
TGHC wrote:
Whilst warming my slippers in front of the fire and waiting for nursy to give me some Horlicks , I had a look at this and to my surprise saw H - emergency hyperdrive. I had a little play and couldn't get it to do anything! so can someone please enlighten me
It seems that our Master and Commander at a certain point had planned to implement this, but never actually did. So it doesn't work. (Which is also what the remark in the table says.)
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Commander McLane wrote:
It seems that our Master and Commander at a certain point had planned to implement this, but never actually did. So it doesn't work. (Which is also what the remark in the table says.)
Aaah, I was overcome with excitement, and thought I'd try it straight away, so obviously missed that remark.
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Captain Hesperus

TGHC wrote:
Aaah, I was overcome with excitement, and thought I'd try it straight away, so obviously missed that remark.
Serves you right for asking your nurse to wear stockings and suspenders and then asking her to pick up your dropped newspaper.:lol:

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

It was a bunch of keys actually! and funnily enough about 20 years ago she would have given Pamela Anderson a run for her money :D