Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Win Vista Home Premium

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

I thought it was a type of processed meat product....?
Riding the Rocket!
Wolfspirit
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Wolfspirit »

isnt that a kraft pasta and cheese product?

iMac
If life is a dream then why am I Awake!!!!!!!!
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Arexack_Heretic wrote:
TGHC wrote:
Ditto, Vista is a pile of ****, and what makes it worse is that new laptops all come preloaded with it. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
except for iMacs.
You really, really don’t want to put an iMac in your lap. They’re pretty heavy.
Arexack_Heretic
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

do they get as hot as laptops?
I nearly broiled my go***s with my girlfriends' while using it while in bed....on my lap.
(No I wan't doing anything dishonourable with it)

ps. the title of this thread make me think "Hey the forum is spamming me" when I recieved the newmessagenotification. :shock:
Riding the Rocket!
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

I guess that’s where the big metal stand on the iMac comes in handy. Not that you’d notice a broiling, what with the crushing. (But they also have better ventilation, so no.)
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

I have to admit that I had to go to my carpenter and let him make a kind of tablet, in order to enable me to actually use my MacBook Pro as a laptop, without getting serious burns on my lap. (And it's not one of the models with the bad batteries!)
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Win Vista Home Premium

Post by Frame »

Pappy55 wrote:
I am posting on behalf of a friend who I just introduced to oolite and he cant run it. He has tried compatablity mode, he is longed in as administrator.

The program goes to load and seams normal till the main window appears then nothing and vista throws up the error that the exe has stoped working.

Does anyone have any info on this?
make sure your freind have the latest vista compatible drivers for his GFX card...

also make sure he has the latest chipset drivers for his Motherboard

im running Vista Ultimate With an Nvidia fx5200 that runs oolite perfectly ATM... where as i havent got around to switching back the ATI X800 XT to test if it works with Vista since my last driver updates to the windows driver system..
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
davcefai
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by davcefai »

Amusing little story:

I was at a supplier's works, inspecting a new process plant. On the second day, during a short meeting with the IT chap we were discussing the operator's PC. He said he prefers to supply a white box because, among a couple of other things, "I don't have to go through the hassle of wiping off Vista before installing XP".

This lot sell 12 to 15 plants a year and, so far, NOBODY has wanted Vista.
reills
Deadly
Deadly

Post by reills »

Ah, yes, Vista is good to look at...from a long distance away, on someone else's computer, on another network.

And Microsoft with their service packs all too often fix five bugs and introduce nine more.

Sticking to XP Pro SP2 for the foreseeable future (I'm a geek who likes to build my own machines, so Macs are out)
Insert witty saying here
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

WEll, Vista has changes that makes it preferble to XP, for example... The GFX card cant lock the system up, since the driver is now outside the kernel... this is part of the reason why GFX drivers for vista has been so long to come out for "old" GFX cards. now when the GFX card stalls... it is just a matter of resetting the GFX card..

So far Vista has not died on me 1 time... which is amazing by any microsoft standard. Software can crash offcourse, but that is usually not Due to faults in Vista... more likely its bugs in the software..

also so far i can run any "designed for XP" program... i have tried...

6 months from now, I´ll be a Vista Pro... while many will just be starting up learning how to setup Vista ;-)

XP had the same child sickness when it appeared...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Arexack_Heretic

My inlaw recently was complaining about not being able to run any old programs on VISTA at her workplace.

Nobody there has any IT-training or affinity, so I suspect these programs were designed for older systems than XP.

I tried to teach her how to set the compatibility modes, but this was on an XP machine.
Don't know if VISTA gives the user any manual controll over this.
Riding the Rocket!
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Frame wrote:
XP had the same child sickness when it appeared...
All Windows operating systems did, and IIRC the windows concept was an idea copied from Mac.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
davcefai
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by davcefai »

the windows concept was an idea copied from Mac.
Actually it goes back further than that. GUIs were "invented" at Xerox. So was the mouse. So were quite a few other things.

Xerox never twigged that they were on to a good thing.

Steve Jobs ripped off the idea to create the Apple Lisa. Bill Gates then did a "me too". Sorry, to lazy to dig up the supporting evidence but it should be easily findable.
ilnar
Above Average
Above Average

Post by ilnar »

dell still do the inspiron 6400 for xp.....
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

davcefai wrote:
So was the mouse.
The mouse is rather older than that.
davcefai wrote:
Steve Jobs ripped off the idea to create the Apple Lisa.
Apple licensed some of Xerox’s work for the GUI projects already being worked on.

If you’re going to correct people’s facts, it’s a good idea to have some facts of your own. :-)