Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

couple of bugs in 1.69.1?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

couple of bugs in 1.69.1?

Post by Hoopy »

First off well done to everyone involved on a fantastic game! I'm up to 1000 kills now in not very long so it's just as addictive as other versions :)

I've played a fair bit of Elite (BBC B, then Frontier and Firest Encounters on the Amiga, then back to the BBC B version through an emulator on the PC) and then discovered Elite TNK. I got the source for that and added a few mods (displaying the actual rating, the bounty won after each kill and an advanced compass displaying the sun) and was looking forward to adding more...

Then I found Oolite :D

I played 1.65 for a while then found 1.69.1 and have found what seem to be a couple of minor few bugs in it:

After a few hours play, when saving, it takes much longer than usual to save and then pretty much hangs before I leave the station. The resulting save game gets the following added:
<key>strict</key>
<true/>
I guess that's saying it's using strict rules. I assume that it then hangs as it can't understand the various mission variables and non-strict equipment? Deleting those lines from the save file and reloading fixes everything (although there's a lot of disk thrashing in the meantime)

The other bug is that jettisoning cargo used to (in 1.65) say something like 'Computers ejected' but now (1.69.1) it always says 'Food' (whatever the cargo type) and has half a dozen debug style numbers as well.

Anyway - neither of these really detract from a great game :)
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Hoopy wrote:
I played 1.65 for a while then found 1.69.1 and have found what seem to be a couple of minor few bugs in it:
Nice to see you on the board. Good game it is indeed. 1.65 is the newest official, stabel release. Al higher numbers are still test versions with possible bugs. See also the bug section on this board. There are a lot of bugs that are already known and also a lot that are already solved on paper and will be removed from the next relase.
Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

ah right - i hadn't quite understood the distinction between official release and test versions. I just thought the place i got 1.65 from was a bit behind. I'll check in the bug section to make sure 'my' two bugs are there.
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Hi there, welcome to the boards.

Great to see you figured out yourself how to modify the savegame.

(didn't you use it to add oodles of credits too? admit it! :twisted: )
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Hi, Hoopy, and welcome to the boards and of course to this great game! :D

I think you've already found the answers to your findings. Please consult the Testing and Bug reports-section of the board, together with the BerliOS-bug reporter, in order to find out whether a certain bug has been reported and perhaps even ironed out already.

And if you come across yet unknown bugs, please report them at the appropriate place. Thanks very much!

And have fun bug-squashing and playing! :wink:
Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

i modified the save file once, gave myself a Boa and 10,000 kills and flew out the station, killed a pirate and then ejected and reverted to my 'real' commander. It's just no fun cheating.

WARNING - possible spoilers....

Even if it is tempting when there's 200 odd Ramazan government vessels to find... But they're all gone now so i just need to save another 100k, buy a Boa cruiser and try some cargo missions. In the meantime the thargoid missions is only 150 kills away or so...
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Hi Hoopy, sounds like you're on a roll :D
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

My wife and daughter are at her sister's for the week. That means I can easily fit in 8 hours each evening.

Not that I'm addicted or anything...
Capt. James Maladorn
Average
Average

Post by Capt. James Maladorn »

Hoopy wrote:
My wife and daughter are at her sister's for the week. That means I can easily fit in 8 hours each evening.

Not that I'm addicted or anything...
Nope, nothing abnormal here. Sounds like a perfectly normal hobby. Though, if you're going to do something, you should do it right. I mean, 8 hours? Isn't that a little, well, light?

Go for a good 10 hours to get you started. We can get your endurance up for those 14-18 hour sessions. You did install a mini-fridge in the computer room, right?
"Always Vigilant"
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Capt. James Maladorn wrote:
Go for a good 10 hours to get you started. We can get your endurance up for those 14-18 hour sessions. You did install a mini-fridge in the computer room, right?
And remember, those empty drinks bottle *can* be reused to prevent you having to pause and/or stop the game. Just please, don't use tin cans, they have very small openings with *very* sharp edges.....

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Hoopy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Hoopy »

i remeber playing Baldur's Gate 2 about 10 years ago. It had 200 hours of gameplay and I finsihed it (and all the side quests) in under 20 days. Luckily I was a student and it was in the holidays so I could do 30 hour days (22 hours awake (playing, eating, exercising etc) then 8 hours sleep) which always helps :)
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

hollidays, suuure. ;)
Riding the Rocket!