Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

lost the constrictor

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Commander Adams
Average
Average

lost the constrictor

Post by Commander Adams »

So ive jumped intergalactic...

and Nowt...where is it?
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Check the F7 screen at nearby systems. Remember all ships in Oolite have a maxium 7 light year hyperspace range.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Commander Adams
Average
Average

done that...got sent to some place in the far end of the galaxy,and had nothing

might have flown past it
Helvellyn
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Helvellyn »

You'll have to just search methodically, then. It's rather easier in Oolite than in the original because you don't have to dock to get the message (I don't know if you have to follow the entire trail, or whether it'll work if you join it part way through).

Littlebear: IIRC some of the Constrictor system jumps are > 7 ly. Guess when they wrote the original mission they assumed different ships would have different capabilities in hyperspace (sorry, the "7ly for everything" rule is the one aspect of Oolite that I really hate).
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Check the F7 screen at the new system to follow the trial.

@Helvellyn. There was a "constrictormorehints.oxp" available that got round this problem. With this OXP installed you could always find a hint within 7 light years of the point where you entered G2 on the chase, but it got lost when Oosat2 crashed in Oct 06. Perhaps the morehints could be made native for 1.70. Think I still have it on my harddrive.

EDIT:

Here it is (written by A_H i think)!

http://www.box.net/shared/15m2qc6h2f

Unzip and move the .oxp folder (3k) to AddOns.

A difference between Elite and Oolite was that in Elite you always appeared at the same planet when you made a Galatic Jump, and so there was always a hint within 7 light years of your entry point. In Oolite you appear at a system relative to your position in the previous Galaxy, so you can appear at a system where no hints are available. This mod just adds hints at more systems. Check the F7 Screen and follow the trail. Eventually you'll find that he is AT your current system. Then hunt him down!
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Helvellyn
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Helvellyn »

Of course, presumably it's only any use if you jump into G2 whilst on the mission? The original Elite only gave you "believed to have jumped to this galaxy" if you triggered the mission in G2, wherever you were. Don't know what Oolite does.
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

Same.
The initial briefing is different. You'l still have to hunt for clues though.

exerpt from missiontext.plist:

Code: Select all

<key>constrictor_hunt_brief1a</key>
	<string>It went missing from our ship yard on Xeer five months ago and was last seen at Reesdice. Your mission should you decide to accept it, is to seek and destroy this ship. You are cautioned that only Military Lasers will get through the new shields and that the Constrictor is fitted with an E.C.M. System.\n\nGood Luck, Commander.\n\n---MESSAGE ENDS.</string>

<key>constrictor_hunt_brief1b</key>
	<string>It went missing from our ship yard on Xeer five months ago and is believed to have jumped to this galaxy. Your mission should you decide to accept it, is to seek and destroy this ship. You are cautioned that only Military Lasers will get through the new shields and that the Constrictor is fitted with an E.C.M. System.\n\nGood Luck, Commander.\n\n---MESSAGE ENDS.</string>
Riding the Rocket!
Commander Adams
Average
Average

gone back to square 1...and its..'gone'.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

Big spoiler.

"N fgenatr ybbxvat fuvc yrsg urer n juvyr onpx. Ybbxrq obhaq sbe Nerkr."

Tb gb Nerkr naq qbpx jvgu gur Znva Fgngvba. Abj purpx gur S7 fperra. Lbh'yy frr fbzr vasb ba jurer gur fuvc unf tbar. Tb gb gung cynarg naq ercrng gur cebprff.

Riraghnyyl lbh'yy frr n zrffntr fnlvat fbzguvat yvxr "Lbh pna gnpxyr gur ivpvbhf fpbhaqery vs lbh yvxr. Ur'f ng Beneen." Tb gb Beneen. Gur Pbafgevpgbe jvyy abj ol va gur Beneen flfgrz. Whzc vagb gur flfgrz naq syl gbjneqf gur cynarg, ohg fgbc naq purpx rirel pbagnpg ba gur enqne jvgu lbhe VQ pbzchgre. Vs lbh zvff uvz. Whzc bhg bs gur flfgrz naq gura whzc onpx va. Gur flfgrz vf "erfrg" jura lbh ragre vg sebz jvgpufcnpr, fb lbh pna unir nabgure tb vs lbh zvff uvz gur svefg gvzr.

Copy the above and paste it into Rot13 to decypher!

Rot13 is here:-
http://www.rot13.com/index.php
Commander Adams
Average
Average

Done it...thanks
beeze
Competent
Competent
Location: Worthing (West Sussex) but currently in Melbourne, AUS

Post by beeze »

I'm re-activating this thread :roll:

I am on Constrictor mission too. In Galaxy 1 I got the mission statement and preceeded to KRRE and ERRFQVPR. Then I message at planet NERKR with F7 data.

"Yep, an unusual new ship had a galactic hyperdrive fitted, used it too"

So I'm in Galaxy2 now...and I've had a few clues that the Constrictor was in VAOVOR, NAHFN and REEVHF. Now the trail has gone cold. Is it a case of just hunting/docking around the general area of these planets?

Also - Once I'm in the 'right' system - is it a case of just using my Ident system to pick the ship out? i.e. he uses the general shipping lanes etc and not hiding way of course from the planet etc?

UPDATE
All planet names (capitals) have been encrypted via ROT13. Go here...
...and paste in/decrypt if you wish. (spoiler alert etc)
Last edited by beeze on Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

beeze wrote:
Is it a case of just hunting/docking around the general area of these planets?
Yes
Also - Once I'm in the 'right' system - is it a case of just using my Ident system to pick the ship out? i.e. he uses the general shipping lanes etc and not hiding way of course from the planet etc?
It will be somewhere in the normal space lane. It gives normal response on radar. Only difficulty could be that it is a quite dark ship. You could miss it by just working on sight.
Arexack_Heretic
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

Should I more hints scattered around gal2 to the morehints.oxp ?

Shouldn't make it too easy; searching around is the main point of the mission.

IIRC the main problem with it was the fact that in retro-elite one would enter a gal at the same point always, while in oolite the location corresponded with the jumplocation. causing hints to be mis-located.
Riding the Rocket!
CptnEcho
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CptnEcho »

beeze wrote:
I'm re-activating this thread :roll:

I am on Constrictor mission too. In Galaxy 1 I got the mission statement and preceeded to XEER and REESDICE. Then I message at planet AREXE with F7 data.

"Yep, an unusual new ship had a galactic hyperdrive fitted, used it too"

So I'm in Galaxy2 now...and I've had a few clues that the Constrictor was in INBIBE, ANUSA and ERRIUS. Now the trail has gone cold. Is it a case of just hunting/docking around the general area of these planets?

The Constrictor ship escaped my attempts to pick up its' trail after following it to Galaxy 2. I resumed normal business and flew around to different planets on cargo & passenger contracts. Eventually I picked up its' trail again when a station provided me with a current clue to its' last jump.

The Constrictor ship is very fast and may flee out of scanning range if only wounded/damaged, even when a ship has Witchfuel Injectors. Non-Player ships don't use their Torus drives much, so I put mine to good use.

Suggestion: plan your hyperspace routes so you'll arrive in a system with nearly full fuel tanks and ready for action.
"I shouldn't have taken off in this crate without more ammo..." Sergeant Knox - Star Blazers
beeze
Competent
Competent
Location: Worthing (West Sussex) but currently in Melbourne, AUS

Post by beeze »

Thanks.

I've arrived at Galaxy 2 and I managed to pick up the trail again - getting hints on F7 planet data. But currently the trail has gone cold - no hints. I am going back to the planets named in the hints in galaxy 2 - namely, VAOVOR,NAHFN and REEVHF.

Fingers crossed that I get some F7 clues again.

There's nothing in the clues to suggest the Constrictor has gone to G3 - and I wanted some hints (on this forum) on actually picking up the ship - does it keep away from shipping lanes, hide in certain parts of the system etc.

Will keep you informed in the thread!

Beeze/

UPDATE:
Docked at VAOVOR again, and I get the message:-
"Rogue ship went for me at NAHFN. My lasers didn't even scratch it's hull"
...off we go... :twisted:

UPDATE(2)
All planet names (capitals) have been encrypted via ROT13. Go here...
...and paste in/decrypt if you wish. (spoiler alert etc)
Last edited by beeze on Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.