Strict Play problem....

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Pansen
Dangerous
Dangerous

Strict Play problem....

Post by Pansen »

Hello all,

Playing for a few days when my game seemed to switch to 'strict play' -

1. every time I tried to 'save game', was thrown back to main menu and informed 'strict play' was enabled

2. unable to purchase witchspace injectors at level 10 station

3. don't know if above problems are to do with strict play, but main menu says i'm on 'unrestricted mode' - not 'strict play mode'

4. game currently won't even save - even when it says 'game saved' following opting for 'quick save'.

Oh Dear... was really enjoying this having played the old game lots as a kid...

Help!
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Strict mode is known to be broken (in a variety of ways) in the current test releases. I haven’t tested it under 1.65.
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: North Norfolk, UK, (Average Agricultural, Feudal States,Tech Level 8)

Post by Star Gazer »

Hi Pansen! A very big welcome to Oolite and the Oolite boards! :D

Nearly all of us are old time Elite fans, and went into bliss mode when we discovered this little gem of Giles Williams. Above chap, Ahruman, has become our saviour in continued development and problem sorting, after Giles got burnt.

We're a very friendly bunch, and try to be helpful when problems occur.

Don't know how the game 'chose' to dump you into 'strict play', I've never had that happen!! What operating system are you using - are you Mac, PC, or linux...? It can help us to know that. :wink:
Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my clothes...
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Oh, I misread. I thought the strict mode was voluntary.

If you have a saved game that’s stuck in strict, open it in a text editor and remove the following lines:

Code: Select all

<key>strict</key
<true/>
If it’s not a saved game, you should be able to change to normal play on the settings menu – when docked, press 2 or F2.

If it is a saved game that suddenly became strict, please say so. That’s not supposed to happen.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Pansen, do you save a new commander file every time you dock? If yes, how many saved games do you have in your saved-games folder? If there are many, just try moving some out and leave, say, 5 or 6 in your folder. Then try to save again.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Hi Pansen! As the other guys already gave the hints (and I am not really able in this matter), I just want to say a friendly Welcome to the boards and of course to this great game! :D

Feel free to share any experiences and questions you have. Usually you will find somebody who can answer. For the most general questions I'd like to hint you to the Oolite-FAQ on the Elite-Wiki. For everything else: Welcome here!
Pansen
Dangerous
Dangerous

Thanks very much for the advice

Post by Pansen »

Hi guys

Thanks for the help - managed to rectify the problem: I had about 10 games saved, and it was only when I tried to save the game at the bottom line that I got thrown back to the opening screen where I got the message 'strict play actvated'. Don't know why it happens, but I can easily avoid the problem jst by not saving a game at that line.

Got up to 'competent' now and looking to leave galaxy 1 - can't wait for the constrictor mission! ;-).

Thanks again!