Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Durn keys

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

windrider
Above Average
Above Average

Durn keys

Post by windrider »

Is there a way to map the D and ESC keys so that I'm not hitting them wrong and dumping cargo when I mean do dock with not sequence, or rushing off in my escape pod when I overshoot the F1 key to return to forward view?

tank you.
*cat
Dangerous
Dangerous

keyconfig.plist

Post by *cat »

If you edit the keyconfig.plist file in a text editor, you can change all the key numbers. I'm using the BBC key config that's available, though it needs a bit of fiddling for the newer version of Oolite on which the Yaw keys conflict with the BBC Rotate keys: I was all over the place - for a moment I thought AH had gone all Newtonian on us and I'd be whizzing off all over space again like I was in Frontier!
Like you Robbeasy, I have visions of writing an OXP - I've done plenty of html/css/php and bits and pieces of low-tech javascript, and I've worked out a basic storyline, but it's ambitious and I know I'm not up to it yet.
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: North Norfolk, UK, (Average Agricultural, Feudal States,Tech Level 8)

Re: keyconfig.plist

Post by Star Gazer »

*cat wrote:
...I thought AH had gone all Newtonian on us and I'd be whizzing off all over space again like I was in Frontier!...
...ugghh... I'd almost forgotten the horrors of Frontier's physics!

You saying that suddenly brought back memories of trying to catch up with space stations in wildly eccentric orbits around wildly eccentric planets. You'd just catch up with them, attempt to match speed to dock and they'd be gone again in the opposite direction... :shock:

oh... and plunging uncontrollably into planets with apparently 10G mass whilst trying to perform one of the photo recon missions... :evil:

Thank goodness Giles didn't go there with Oolite... :roll:
Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my clothes...
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Star Gazer wrote:
*cat wrote:
...I thought AH had gone all Newtonian on us and I'd be whizzing off all over space again like I was in Frontier!...
...ugghh... I'd almost forgotten the horrors of Frontier's physics!

<shivers while reminiscing> :evil:

Thank goodness Giles didn't go there with Oolite... :roll:
Again, I appear to be in the minority...

Still, I </me longingly defends the thrills of realistic Newtonian physics> :cry:

I do hope that E4 will come with a Newtonian mode - whenever it finally gets released. :roll:
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Durn keys

Post by Commander McLane »

windrider wrote:
Is there a way to map the D and ESC keys so that I'm not hitting them wrong and dumping cargo when I mean do dock with not sequence, or rushing off in my escape pod when I overshoot the F1 key to return to forward view?

tank you.
*cat wrote:
If you edit the keyconfig.plist file in a text editor, you can change all the key numbers.
Perhaps for a little more precision: *cat is talking about the keyconfig.plist that you find in the Config-folder inside your AddOns-folder. (There is another one in the game itself, but you should better not touch this one.)
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Commander McLane wrote:
(There is another one in the game itself, but you should better not touch this one.)
Oh, you can touch it… in order to make a copy. That’s what it’s there for. (If you damage or remove the in-built keyconfig.plist, the game should default to using the standard keys anyway.)
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Ahruman wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
(There is another one in the game itself, but you should better not touch this one.)
Oh, you can touch it… in order to make a copy. That’s what it’s there for. (If you damage or remove the in-built keyconfig.plist, the game should default to using the standard keys anyway.)
Okay, you're right. I just wanted express my reluctancy towards any changes made by users in the plists inside the application. (Although I have to plea guilty to having done that myself :oops: : I changed the external views of the original Oolite ships in Oolite's shipdata.plist, before I came to the idea of doing it in an OXP. By the way: What are the chances that you incorporate the views of externalviews.oxp in the next release of Oolite?)
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Commander McLane wrote:
By the way: What are the chances that you incorporate the views of externalviews.oxp in the next release of Oolite?)
Quite high, should I receive the creator’s permission to distribute it under the appropriate licenses (both GPLv2 and CC-by-nc-sa-3).
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Ahruman wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
By the way: What are the chances that you incorporate the views of externalviews.oxp in the next release of Oolite?)
Quite high, should I receive the creator’s permission to distribute it under the appropriate licenses (both GPLv2 and CC-by-nc-sa-3).
The creator is very happy to hereby give his permission for distribution under the said licenses. :D

However, I'm going to send you a slightly revised code (together with an appropriate license statement) as soon as possible. So, please don't do it right now.
windrider
Above Average
Above Average

Post by windrider »

Next key question:

I see on m reference sheet that the question mark can be used to locate the destination system for a passenger or cargo contract, but it doesn't work for me (I'm using a PC)

I looked in the keyconf and found no reference to the question mark (I'm guessing INT 63).
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

I believe the question mark key is hard-coded. It is only useable for this purpose when a contract is selected on the contracts screen.
windrider
Above Average
Above Average

Post by windrider »

I had a contract selected and tried, to no avail...I even accepted a contract and launched, to no avail
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

It works for me on the Mac. Of course I can't tell about a PC.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Just tried it on PC and it works just fine. Maybe it is not perfectly clear how '?' is used, though. You need to be docked, in the contracts screen, hilight a contract (NOT accept) and then press '?'. Your screen should change to Galactic Chart with the contract destination selected. But if you already have accepted the contract, '?' does nothing more than throw you at the contracts screen. In this case, your accepted contract destination planet will be marked by a red x on the galactic chart.
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Still, I </me longingly defends the thrills of realistic Newtonian physics> :cry:

I do hope that E4 will come with a Newtonian mode - whenever it finally gets released. :roll:
In the minority, yes. But not alone! I enjoyed newtonian physics too!

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter