Dead mosquitos

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

lolwhites
Deadly
Deadly

Dead mosquitos

Post by lolwhites »

The last couple of times I've visited a dictatorship (with dictatorships.oxp) and pass an Imperial Astrofactory, there's been a Mosquito Trader hanging around. It turns red on my scanner but doesn't move or fire and is impervious to lasers.
Anyone else had this?
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Don't have the OXP installed, but this looks like an AI-error. He is probably in an AI-state he comes not out of again.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Commander McLane wrote:
He is probably in an AI-state he comes not out of again.
Had to think about that for a bit! :lol:
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

TGHC wrote:
Commander McLane wrote:
He is probably in an AI-state he comes not out of again.
Had to think about that for a bit! :lol:
But it's correct, grammatically speaking, isn't it? (Sorry, sometimes us Germans tend to use over-complicated phrase-constructions--at least that's what we do in our mother-tongue. :shock:)
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: North Norfolk, UK, (Average Agricultural, Feudal States,Tech Level 8)

Post by Star Gazer »

There would be a 'that' between '...AI-state' and 'he comes...' for it to be correct, but English construction of that form is usually considered very archaic, and is only to be found in old texts, such as the King James Bible, or contemporary literature!

Modern usage is generally,' He is stuck in that state.' We wouldn't even bother repeating the full 'AI-state', presuming the simple term 'state' would be recognised by the reader as relating to the previous sentence.
Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my clothes...
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Star Gazer wrote:
There would be a 'that' between '...AI-state' and 'he comes...' for it to be correct, but English construction of that form is usually considered very archaic
...and thus the reason TGHC was so confused. He'd not read his most familiar tongue in over a millenium! :D

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Captain Hesperus wrote:
Star Gazer wrote:
There would be a 'that' between '...AI-state' and 'he comes...' for it to be correct, but English construction of that form is usually considered very archaic
...and thus the reason TGHC was so confused. He'd not read his most familiar tongue in over a millenium! :D

Captain Hesperus
Forsooth, I say verily unto you......OY!
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Star Gazer »

yeah... it does have shades of, "Avast, thou surly knave or I wouldst have at thee!" :lol: :lol: :roll:

*loose translation = "P*** off or I'll smack you in the mouth"... ...doesn't have the elegance, does it...
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Star Gazer wrote:
English construction of that form is usually considered very archaic, and is only to be found in old texts, such as the King James Bible, or contemporary literature!
Ah, this explains it then, as one of the English books I am most likely to read would actually be the King James Bible (although most of the time I am using the Revised Standard Version, which is a no-longer-contemporary revision of the former). :wink: 8)
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Star Gazer »

Ah, there is a revised King James' that was produced in '82, that is very powerful in its use of modern language.

I realise that it's all a matter of preference with such translations, although I am also aware that certain versions are favoured by different streams.

I also realise that the original topic has been seriously diverted... :oops:
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Never mind, there have been other threads being derailed before. 8)

And as for me using the RSV, that's just because where I am living that's the translation the Ministry of Education wants us to use in schools.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

I'm just waiting for the inevitable ultra modern translation...

"So they nailed him up to a big cross, which was ironic, and he said 'Hey, don't have a cow! This is OK, I'm the immortal son of God! Sure, it might sting a bit now, but in the afterlife I'll see me dad again and he'll give me a big hug and we'll get to go to the pub and that. Just make sure you learn something from all this, OK? Romans are bad, because they believe in a load of rubbish crypto-fascist gods. That's just greedy! With me Pop, you get the whole kit and caboodle rolled into one, which saves all that fighting about which one to worship and is a lot cheaper when you want to make a graven image 'cos there's only one design! And he's got a cool beard!! Rock on!' And Jesus gave a thumbs up and died. There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth the like of which you have never seen since Busted broke up."
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

BlSed R d mk, fr dy shl nher8 d ert

The faintly appalling thing is, this isn't even a joke any more. I think someone has by now translated the thing into textese. Can the l33t version be far behind?