Shields but no energy

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Helvellyn
Dangerous
Dangerous

Shields but no energy

Post by Helvellyn »

I was flying around for a bit in a ship with no extra energy unit, and what with combat and so on by energy had drained down to zero (IIRC the recharging shields were draining it, which is a bit tough - on the Beeb version with no energy unit the shields wouldn't recharge until the energy was back into bank 2 IIRC; both shields charging above this bank would drain it down to that level). Anyway, the result was that I had some shields but no energy, yet I was killed by a single hit. I'm reasonably sure it wasn't a missile I'd not noticed hitting me at the wrong time.
Helvellyn
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Helvellyn »

Well, I see no-one has replied, so clearly no-one thinks it's a bug (it's happened again, BTW, so is real).
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Well, just to indulge you with an answer, when I'm in the middle of a furball I don't give more attention to the energy levels than to know if they are full, average or low, so I never really noticed it.
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
Helvellyn
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Helvellyn »

On a similar subject I can't find an extra energy unit for sale anywhere, even after fiddling with equipment.plist, but I was going to do a bit more experimentation before getting around to posting that as a bug. Except I've gone and done it now. It's not OXP-related, because they still don't appear with all the OXPs removed. WOndering if it's 1.69.1 related, but going back to an older version is the experimentation I've not yet done.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

The no energy but shield sounds like a bug, although I've not personally hit it. Sounds like Oolite only expects you to be out of energy if the shields are also down. On the Energy Unit, in 1.68 and below you could have both an Standard and Naval Energy Unit fitted. In 1.69 (nice touch), if you've already obtained the Naval Energy Unit from the relevant old school Elite mission, then the Naval Energy Unit can be purchased but you can't have both at the same time. My commander has already competed the relevant mission so I can exchange my Naval energy Unit for a standard one (yeah right!), but maybe a bug if you don't already have the Naval energy Unit available to you.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

I Think Hellvellyn means the extra energy unit, not the naval energy unit,
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Sorry didn't explain it well!

I can buy an Extra Energy Unit or a Naval Energy Unit. If I have a Naval fitted then a shipyard with sufficent tech, gives me the option to buy an Extra Energy Unit. If I chose it my Naval Energy Unit is replaced by the normal Extra Energy Unit and I get the difference in price credited. May be though this new feature is causing the problem in that, if you don't have the Naval Energy Unit fitted, the standard Extra Energy Unit is not being offered in the shipyard?
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Helvellyn
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Helvellyn »

I've not got as far as earning the Naval energy unit (from the sounds of things it's the same mission as in the original Elite), so I'm talking about buying the plain, bog standard, extra energy unit. This is probably related to a post I made a week or two back about repairing it. I suspect, still without having checked for certain, that it's a 1.69 related issue. I've not been playing Oolite for long, but started with 1.65, when I could buy an extra energy unit with no problem. Now I can't, even if I remove all OXPs and re-start. I've not proved this is 1.69-related, but it's the only (untested) possibility still left that I can think of.

What seems to be happening is that it doesn't like the EQ_ENERGY_UNIT reference in the equipment.plist file. If I replace that with another piece of equipment then the energy unit appears in the list of buyable equipment (but obviously gives me what I changed it to, not an energy unit).

If it wasn't for this lack of energy unit I probably wouldn't have noticed the shields thing. For all I know the original Elite may have done the same, but because the original handles shield recharging differently (it will never drain the final bank to recharge shields, but slows the recharge rate down instead) it would be almost impossible to notice.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

I’m not immediately sure when this change was made, but the current “cleaned up” equipment screen code helpfully requires you to have a naval energy unit in order to be able to buy a normal energy unit (instead of requiring you not to have one). This is why we have test releases. :-) I’m going to move equipment requirements into equipment.plist where possible, and add a new extra info key, incompatible_with_equipment, to represent this type of relationship.

While I’m fiddling with that, I’ll let requires_equipment and incompatible_with_equipment take arrays of strings as well as strings, so more than one value can be specified.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

LittleBear wrote:
On the Energy Unit, in 1.68 and below you could have both an Standard and Naval Energy Unit fitted.
If this is new, it probably happened in 1.67, not 1.69.
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Like Maegil, I don't pay much attention to the energy gauge. The energy systems of most ships is fairly robust, especially with an EEU or NEU installed.

What's important to me is the fuel gauge, ordinance stores, laser heat gauge, and the shield monitors. When the shields are discharged, then your ship's ability to absorb further laser fire goes way down, a single missile hit will be lethal, and it's time to take extreme evasive. Of course, a hot laser and running out of missiles puts a dent in your ability to fight back, and no fuel for the injectors limits evasive.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor