KDE Sound server caused oolite to crash

For discussion of ports to POSIX based systems, especially using GNUStep.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

heikki III
Average
Average

KDE Sound server caused oolite to crash

Post by heikki III »

Hi,

When running under 1.65 under Debian/Etch and KDE, it crashed upon startup. Disabling KDE's sound server made it work much better. The sound works too! Probably an old issue, as I am running from what Debian gives me, which is always some versions behind the real life. But if you still need it, I can try to reproduce, and post all available information.

Regards

Heikki III
In Murphy We Turst
Lone_Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lone_Wolf »

1.65 is still the stable version , development is now 1.69.1 .
(It seems the next stable version will be 1.70, date unknown).

As to kde ARTS sound server : 90% of kde users i know have disabled it since it gives problems with many programs.
Shade
Above Average
Above Average

Re: KDE Sound server caused oolite to crash

Post by Shade »

heikki III wrote:
Hi,

When running under 1.65 under Debian/Etch and KDE, it crashed upon startup. Disabling KDE's sound server made it work much better. The sound works too! Probably an old issue, as I am running from what Debian gives me, which is always some versions behind the real life. But if you still need it, I can try to reproduce, and post all available information.

Regards

Heikki III
I'm a long time KDE user-- Arts, was horrible (in the 2.0 days) and still is horrible for a great many people (in the 3.5 days). C'mon KDE 4 :) What happens is, that if you are using a program that isn't Arts aware, and Arts is running /dev/dsp will be in use (Particularly for software that isn't ALSA aware and is used to the OSS sound system.).

Now, the simple solution is to go into the KDE control centre -> Sound and Multimedia -> Sound System, and check the box labelled Auto-Suspend and set that to one second. Back in the KDE 2.0 days arts might have been 'heavy' (Not really) but thanks to Moors Law and a half a decade loading it on demand will barely cause a hitch to the KDE apps that want to use it, and it will make the Arts unaware apps run with sound... Or you could just uninstall Arts.

Also, current SVN trunk produces pretty solid .debs rather easily. All you need to do is check out trunk, look in the debian/control file and install the devel packages listed (if the copy in Debian was newer you could just 'apt-get build-dep oolite' but alas...), and open the GNUMakefile in a text editor, look for a line that says 'ADDITIONAL_OBJC_LIBS =' and if you see a -ljs change that to -lmozjs. after that you just have to 'dpkg-buildpackage'. Oh, make sure you have an objective C compiler installed. :)

If you're building your own debs I'd suggest keeping the last stableish set you built around just in case the new debs have issues. (Heh, I've been building once per SVN commit.)
heikki III
Average
Average

Post by heikki III »

Shade wrote:
Now, the simple solution is to go into the KDE control centre -> Sound and Multimedia -> Sound System, and check the box labelled Auto-Suspend and set that to one second.
Thanks. That seems to work!
Shade wrote:
If you're building your own debs I'd suggest keeping the last stableish set you built around just in case the new debs have issues. )
Thanks, but no thanks. I have been through the phase where I built everythin myself, and have gone back to using standard debian packages. Less chance of something breaking dependencies etc.

- Heikki III
In Murphy We Turst
Shade
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Shade »

heikki III wrote:

Thanks, but no thanks. I have been through the phase where I built everythin myself, and have gone back to using standard debian packages. Less chance of something breaking dependencies etc.

- Heikki III
Awww... just try it once :) Actually, I'm phobic of installing anything that's not in .deb for from a popular source, so I hear you. (I'm just not shy about building my own debs.) The only exceptions I make to the 'must be packaged' rule is Id and some Loki games, and 2.4 era kernels... None of which I use anymore.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Well sorted Shade that's what the Oolite community is all about.

Incidentally should'nt this be in the Linux section.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"