Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Building under Windows - a Noob has problems...

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Robbeasy
Above Average
Above Average

Building under Windows - a Noob has problems...

Post by Robbeasy »

Following the excellent Wiki instructions on doing a Windows build for oolite......

i get to the 'make' step, after following all previous instructions to the letter, and get the following errors...

$ make
Making all for objc_program oolite...
Compiling file src/Core/AI.m ...
/bin/sh: sdl-config: command not found
In file included from src/Core/ResourceManager.h:28,
from src/Core/AI.m:26:
src/Core/OOOpenGL.h:53:24: SDL_opengl.h: No such file or directory
In file included from src/Core/OOOpenGL.h:56,
from src/Core/ResourceManager.h:28,
from src/Core/AI.m:26:
deps/Windows-x86-deps/include/GL/glext.h:3119: error: syntax error before "red"
deps/Windows-x86-deps/include/GL/glext.h:3120: error: syntax error before "mode"
deps/Windows-x86-deps/include/GL/glext.h:3121: error: syntax error before "mode"
deps/Windows-x86-deps/include/GL/glext.h:3122: error: syntax error before "targe t"
deps/Windows-x86-deps/include/GL/glext.h:3123: error: syntax error before "targe t"
deps/Windows-x86-deps/include/GL/glext.h:3124: error: syntax error before "targe t"
deps/Windows-x86-deps/include/GL/glext.h:3125: error: syntax error before "targe t"
deps/Windows-x86-deps/include/GL/glext.h:3126: error: syntax error before "targe t"
deps/Windows-x86-deps/include/GL/glext.h:3127: error: syntax error before "targe t".....................................................and so on and so forth...............

I'm pretty sure I'm doing something exceptionally stupid - can anyone light the way for this poor soul??

Got GNUstep-base-1.13.1-gui-0.11.0
svn 1.4.4
LOCAL zip - 20060314

Thanks in advance for any help!!
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

You need SDL_opengl. :-)
Robbeasy
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Robbeasy »

see - told you it was something stupid..... :oops: :oops:

any links handy, pretty please??
Robbeasy
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Robbeasy »

sorry to double post - done a search on SDL_opengl.

que??????????????
Robbeasy
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Robbeasy »

Ok ok - triple post......

found SDL_opengl

Where it should be? gnustep/local/include/SDL folder is where it is at now........

All LOCAL zip extracted to Local folder in GNUstep , as the Wiki directs.....

please help me someone, i'm getting reet annoyed with it now....

:(
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

In your compile log there is this line:
/bin/sh: sdl-config: command not found

This indicates that not only SDL_opengl is missing, but SDL has not been installed at all. The best thing you can do is to download the SDL source, build it and install it yourself. It is easier than it sounds, as the SDL libraries contain instructions on how they can be built.

Also, there might or might not be a problem with the gnustep version you are using. There have been reports of differences in path handling (if I recall correctly) with version 1.13.1, which may result in problems with building or running the program after it has been built. The gnustep version we are distributing with Oolite is 1.11.1 but I can confirm that 1.13.0 works fine too. So you might want to downgrade a bit just to be on the safe side of things.

Hope this helps, good luck.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Robbeasy wrote:
Ok ok - triple post......

found SDL_opengl

Where it should be? gnustep/local/include/SDL folder is where it is at now........

All LOCAL zip extracted to Local folder in GNUstep , as the Wiki directs.....

please help me someone, i'm getting reet annoyed with it now....

:(
c, cpp, h files from goes here

deps/Windows-x86-deps/include/GL/

Lib files which i´m not sure is included, but if they are

put them in the libary files of your compiler...

one wild guees is that, that folder is

deps/Windows-x86-deps/libaries/

Cheers Frame...
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Just had a thought, how exactly did you unzip the SDL files? Did you selected them and dragged them to the GNUstep/Local directory? That would be a mistake. You must use the Extract button on the WinZip window, otherwise all these files will be copied under the same folder, where in reality they should be extracted under their corresponding paths.
Robbeasy
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Robbeasy »

Thankyou all - as usual, good and informative help..

It was the latest version of GNUstep that was at fault - i have downgraded to 1.11.1 and everything is fine and dandy. Well, nearly - everything compiles, but get a 'js32.dll not found' error when i try to open the oolite app....

oh well, i shall investigate more....

I don't know enough to understand why the new version of GNUSTEP has problems with the build, p'raps someone with superior knowledge should investigate that...
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

If you have already downloaded Oolite binaries then you can use the js32.dll that is located in the oolite.app folder. Just copy it over to the same folder as oolite.exe and you should be OK.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Just as a matter of interest, for us duffers, what's the benefit of doing a "windows build" whatever that is.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

TGHC wrote:
Just as a matter of interest, for us duffers, what's the benefit of doing a "windows build" whatever that is.
It is the first step of being able to make modifications directly to the game code. Once you have successfully converted the source code to a binary executable (i.e. build it), you can start making changes on it, try out various ideas and generally hack away to your hearts content. Of course, this implies that you know at least the basics of the programming language, which is Objective-C in this case. But, as a first step in coding the game, building the .exe is a very important one.
Robbeasy
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Robbeasy »

My profession is a computer programmer - not that you would know it with the lack of knowledge I have so far displayed on this forum :lol: :lol:

My language is definitely NOT Objective-C however.

I am hoping to be able to get my head round it, fiddle about here and there, and eventually contribute something useful to the community instead of asking silly questions all the time.....

I get a funny feeling that day might be a long way off yet though.... :roll:
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Well that is very good news, the more wizards on board the better! Us non techies are eternally grateful for all your contributions.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"