Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

virtual memory exhausted 1.69.1

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

PsychotropicDog
Above Average
Above Average

virtual memory exhausted 1.69.1

Post by PsychotropicDog »

game was not there after I left it unattended... last part of stderr.txt ( I kept the whole thing )

WinXP

Code: Select all

2007-07-17 12:03:48.000 oolite.exe[2284] [unclassified.MyOpenGLView]: Found mode {Height = 768; RefreshRate = 0; Width = 1024; }
Virtual memory exhausted

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Hmm… it’s somewhat leaky under OS X, but last time I checked it was less than I thought. I’d have expected it to take a while to reach 2 GiB, which I think is the limit under Windows. Anyway, this is a manifestation of a known general problem, kind of thing.
PsychotropicDog
Above Average
Above Average

I forget what I did to increase the Virtual Memory, I have 2GiB RAM.

Not a big deal, I always save before leaving for a break.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

The amount of physical RAM shouldn’t matter, assuming your hard disk has at least a few gigs free. However, I keep hearing bad things about Windows’s VM implementation, so perhaps it does. :-)
PsychotropicDog
Above Average
Above Average

oh ya, I had to change it for another game some time ago.. oddly it had changed back to default...

Control Panel>System>Advanced>Performance>Settings>Advanced>Virtual Memory
set max and start pagefile to 4092
pepak
Competent
Competent

Post by pepak »

Seems the leak which was present in 1.68-win32 only got worse in 1.69.1-win32. On my notebook (512 MB RAM) Oolite used to exhaust available memory in about 4-5 system jumps. With 1.69.1 most of the available memory gets used up even before the first launch (!) and the game routinelly crashes within few minutes of being started. Or, not crashes, but allocates so much memory that it is unable to function.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

'Friad I'm having the same problem. I'll usually get 4 or 5 jumps before a sudden crash to desktop, but sometimes the game will just lock up or crash whilst docked.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Do these crashes happen even without any OXPs loaded? Are there any funny messages logged in stderr.txt? Computer specs would be also very welcome and I would be especially interested in the graphics card type, memory and OpenGL version used.
Sotho Tal Ker
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Sotho Tal Ker »

I happen to have this occur without any OXP loaded that the default stuff.
While the memory got not exhausted my computer got awfully slow swapping to the pagefile - and this happend on the title screen even - or at least before I did the first jump out of the first system.
Oolite was using much over 1GB that can I say for sure, as taskmanager showed approximately 2700MB in use and after I shut down Oolite that went down to less than half.

That happened on an AMD XP 2500+ with 1024MB RAM and a 256MB nVidia GF6200.

I don't know what caused this, but it only happened 1 time to me so far.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Sotho Tal Ker wrote:
I happen to have this occur without any OXP loaded that the default stuff.
While the memory got not exhausted my computer got awfully slow swapping to the pagefile - and this happend on the title screen even - or at least before I did the first jump out of the first system.
Oolite was using much over 1GB that can I say for sure, as taskmanager showed approximately 2700MB in use and after I shut down Oolite that went down to less than half.

That happened on an AMD XP 2500+ with 1024MB RAM and a 256MB nVidia GF6200.

I don't know what caused this, but it only happened 1 time to me so far.
*sigh* I was hoping that this behavior would be consistent with low-end systems and sub-par graphics cards. Apparently it is not.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Fraid Knot.

With OXPs in or out I still get the same message as PsychotropicDog at the start of the thread.

This was a big problem on the Alpha version of PC Oolite, where it would just crash every 10 mins to an hour or so even with no OXPs in. Seems to have come back for 1.68 onwards.

I only have 0.75 G of ram, but from PsychotropicDog's post my <kenneth_williams_mode> rather small RAM </kenneth_williams_mode> doesn't seem to be the problem.

Although my system has a slightly bigger RAM than pepaks's system it can't run Oolite for more than half an hour at most before crashing! And isn't faring much better than Sotho Tal Ker's system with his massive ram. (Running on Windows XP - ooer matren!)
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.