involuntary logout from the board

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

involuntary logout from the board

Post by Commander McLane »

Quite frequently when I'm on the board and posting messages, somewhere in the middle of writing the server logs me out. When I finish typing and hit the "submit"-button, I get a "please log in"-screen, regardless that I was logged in before. When I type my username and password again, I am brought to the posting screen again, but it's empty now. I can return to my written text by hitting the "back"-button of my browser twice, and can then submit my post, but this isn't how the board is supposed to work.

When I refresh my view of the index after this has happened, all the threads that were marked yellow before (unread new post) have turned grey.

It's not the end of the world, but it is a bit annoying. :?

I also sometimes get "page not found" or other error pages when I want to open a thread. So could it be a connection or bandwidth problem with the server?

Another problem, probably related, probably not: Sometimes when I hit the "submit"-button I only get the preview, the post is not added to the board. This can happen two or three times in a row.

Are there other people having similar problems when posting?
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

The only problems I’ve encountered are error messages about not being able to access the database (which I assume means high server load), and the unexpected preview thing. My assumption has been that the preview happens if you enter a message very fast, but I’m not sure that explanation stacks up.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

I've had the same as big A, with a database error message, after hitting submit. My reaction has been to submit again only to find it's double posted, it is a rare occurrence and has not happened for quite a while now.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Sometimes I try to enter the board, but get a time out message. on subsequent attempts I do enter, but logged out and with no new messages.
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
queruler
Poor
Poor

Re: involuntary logout from the board

Post by queruler »

Commander McLane wrote:
Quite frequently when I'm on the board and posting messages, somewhere in the middle of writing the server logs me out.
When I refresh my view of the index after this has happened, all the threads that were marked yellow before (unread new post) have turned grey.

Another problem, probably related, probably not: Sometimes when I hit the "submit"-button I only get the preview, the post is not added to the board. This can happen two or three times in a row.
Do you have a frequently changing dynamic IP?

There's one add-on to the phpBB where the preview comes up when the poster repeat posts within a certain time limit. This is to prevent flooding.
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Hi, queruler, welcome to the friendliest board this side of Riedquat!

As you can imagine, this means people aren't allowed to spit, pull hairs, scratch or blast each other away with nukes... on the board, that is!

Other than that, you should avoid trespassing on Captain Hesperus' commercial adventures. Not that he - or any of the other commanders - would care, but it might put you in a tight spot with the cops.

Oh, and mind the drunken pirate under the table!
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: involuntary logout from the board

queruler wrote:
Do you have a frequently changing dynamic IP?
No, right now I have a fixed, manually entered IP. And still it happened again the day before yesterday...
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

And it just happened again. I am on the board for an hour or so now, having already posted to some threads. Out of a sudden a post isn't accepted and I have to log-in again. Grmbl§(&@!* :evil: