Finally bought a new PC!

Off topic discussion zone.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Cody

dajt
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Finally bought a new PC!

Post by dajt »

I've been putting it off for years, but have finally bought a new PC.

I ordered an Intel E6600 CPU, 2GB RAM (will get more later), and an NVidia 8800GTS with 640MB of video ram. That, plus all the other bits, including a wonderfully quiet Antec case arrived today.

I hurridly bolted it all together in the hour the kids were asleep this afternoon, but didn't get to boot it to see if I'd broken anything (and I thought I had because the CPU heat sink is easier to install than it looks, but the wordless instructions don't make that clear so one leg of it is now jammed into the mobo). Finally booted it tonight and it all came up fine :)

Buying it in bits saved me about $600 AU, or about 30% of the cost.

Should be no framerate issues here, I think. Don't know anything about overclocking either, so I'll just enjoy it as standard for a while.
Regards,
David Taylor.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Oh, good, someone to alpha test shader stuff for Windows and Linux. ;-)
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Ahruman wrote:
Oh, good, someone to alpha test shader stuff for Windows and Linux. ;-)
Good ol' Ahruman, ever one to leap on an opportunity!

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
dajt
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by dajt »

The most recent laptop work gave me can do the shader stuff - I was compiling from the source tree every now and again while you were building up to 1.69, but usually it didn't work and I couldn't be bothered to fix it ;)

I have seen freaky thargoid working and your Cobra demo, but don't have the enthusiasm to try anything else like the glowing metal fragments etc.

Having said that, now *I* have hardware capable for shaders I'm all in favour of it, in contrast to my attitude when all my GFX hardware was too old!

If I had more time I'd like to play with the NVidia GPU computing stuff in regards to planet terrain generation. But work and the kids don't leave me much free time, and even less energy to use in it.
Regards,
David Taylor.