Great game, little problem

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Shade
Above Average
Above Average

Great game, little problem

Post by Shade »

This is a great game, but I'm having a little problem...

I just discovered OXPs. Yay! Unfortunately, I'm having case sensitivity issues. First of all, I'm running the 1.65 version under Debian. The version that's in the repository.

I noticed missing texture problems so far in:
-Blank Monks
-Asteroid Swarm

I've fixed the case locally, and I'll report any other OXPs that are having this problem as they come up. It's fortunate that I'm launching the game from konsole.

I know quite a lot of development has happened since 1.65, but I was wondering if a code monkey has / could be persuaded to internally preform a case operation on files and paths. I know string operations aren't free, but... It's just a thought...

If not (or somethings in the repository already), I'll keep an eye on my konsole...

Anyway, great game.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

String operations aren’t a problem, but to look for files in a case-insensitive way requires crawling through the search paths (and there can be many), listing all the files, and comparing every requested file name to every listed file name (minor optimization details omitted).

What I do intend to do in 1.70 is log warnings if the located file name doesn’t match the specified file name. This should help OXP makers on OS X and Windows find and fix their bugs. (This was originally intended to be part of the legendary --verify-oxp command line option, but it’ll probably be OK to make the check for each located file, at least in test/developer releases.)
Shade
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Shade »

Ahh cool. Thanks for the info.