Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

New to Oolite - Absolutely fabulous

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Sorry to double post. Job done though.

http://hughesd.co.uk/elite/pinfo/

Searchable database of GalCop member worlds.

As noted, it's very basic at the moment. It will grow though, both in functionality and prettiness...
Killer Instinct
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Killer Instinct »

Shooting at the wrong ships is not advised particuarly well defended Pythons and the like. Happy gaming the return of Elite with bolt ons, many 000's of players and some pretty good script writers too.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Ragz wrote:
Rxke wrote:
That's odd. In my experience, ships often thank me for helping out. Probably purely coincidental.
Maybe i'm shooting the wrong ship ;) Could be the problem. As i'm never sure which ship sent the mayday to be honest (is there a way to tell?)
The sender 'flashes' on the scanner (or rather, there appear some pond-like circles around it). if in doubt, scroll back to the message and see who is marked. If you fire at whomever is shooting at the sender, he'll thank you.
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

The scanner targeting enhancement is a useful bit of kit for identifying ships, and when you add the multi targeting system with it you'll make a lot of friends out there when killing the baddies.

Have a look here at the equipment list on the wiki.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Ragz
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Ragz »

Selezen wrote:
Sorry to double post. Job done though.

[had to remove link to be able to post]

As noted, it's very basic at the moment. It will grow though, both in functionality and prettiness...
VERY NICE. I love it.

Any chance of getting a dump of the db (if it's in MySQL)? And search script?
Or, if the db isn't MySQL, then perhaps a copy of the csv file or whatever you imported all the planet data from?

Reason being:
1) I'd like to mirror that with a link to your original site to acknowledge your work of course.
2) I'd like to add some extra info to the database as time permits to show the type of planet (i.e. Poor Agricultural, Mainly Industrial, etc). As this info is something that always seems to be missing and i think would be really useful.
3) I'd like to incorporate it into an Oolite site i'm working on, but am never keen on using other peoples bandwidth from including external pages.

If it's not possible, i understand. I don't wish to make you feel like i am trying to steal, etc.
davcefai
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by davcefai »

Maybe i'm shooting the wrong ship Wink Could be the problem. As i'm never sure which ship sent the mayday to be honest (is there a way to tell?)
Press the key above the TAB key. This brings up the message log and the ship which sent the last message will have flashing brackets around it.
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Ragz wrote:
Selezen wrote:
VERY NICE. I love it.
Any chance of getting a dump?
If it's not possible, i understand. I don't wish to make you feel like i am trying to steal, etc.
Atribution is nice, but amongst us there is no such thing as stealing... We just improve upon other people's work. The reasoning for it is that Elite belongs to Ian Bell and David Braben to start with.

For the same reason, whatever you do, don't try to make anything commercial based on the Elite series unless you don't mind being sued by Braben (although Bell doesn't care at all). He doesn't mind us playing around, but won't admit anyone making a living out of it..
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
Ragz
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Ragz »

Cmdr. Maegil wrote:
Ragz wrote:
Selezen wrote:
VERY NICE. I love it.
Any chance of getting a dump?
Atribution is nice, but amongst us there is no such thing as stealing... We just improve upon other people's work. The reasoning for it is that Elite belongs to Ian Bell and David Braben to start with.

For the same reason, whatever you do, don't try to make anything commercial based on the Elite series unless you don't mind being sued by Braben (although Bell doesn't care at all). He doesn't mind us playing around, but won't admit anyone making a living out of it..
Right, right. Last thing i would even dream of is making some sort of money out of anything.
Communities like this, that share the knowledge and create games like this for everyone, free of charge, are in my opinion the best places to enjoy games.
And that said, i made a few more trade runs last night when i got home. Now the proud owner of an ECM System, Large Cargo Hold and the Advanced Space Compass and a nice shiny new Beam Laser on the front of my Cobra. Still in the same spot i begun. Diso - Leesti back and forth ;)
Until i can get another beam laser on the rear i won't be heading to any other planets.
Slowly the memories return of where to trade for the most profit, and what to trade, are returning. Perfect way to spend a relaxing hour after getting in from work (16 hours yesterday), before heading to sleep.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Ragz wrote:
VERY NICE. I love it.

Any chance of getting a dump of the db (if it's in MySQL)? And search script?
Or, if the db isn't MySQL, then perhaps a copy of the csv file or whatever you imported all the planet data from?

Reason being:
1) I'd like to mirror that with a link to your original site to acknowledge your work of course.
2) I'd like to add some extra info to the database as time permits to show the type of planet (i.e. Poor Agricultural, Mainly Industrial, etc). As this info is something that always seems to be missing and i think would be really useful.
3) I'd like to incorporate it into an Oolite site i'm working on, but am never keen on using other peoples bandwidth from including external pages.

The DB is in Access and the code is in ASP. You're welcome to a copy of it if you like, but the database was quickly thrown together from the text files that Oolite dumps - they're maybe easier to work from.

Like the guys said, the whole Oolite/Elite thing is only alive because of communities and stuff, so you're welcome to play. Just bear in mind that what I have at the moment is barely even a beta stage, and it all will change quite significantly over the next few days as I play and improve.

I'd like to see my name listed somewhere too...just because I like seeing my name on things - hence the unfortunate graffiti incident a few years back...

Send me your email address and I'll send you a copy of the code. I'll also zip you up my copy of the text file dumps, which will be easier to import than tearing apart the Access database. Unless you know some secret MySQL...secrets...
Ragz
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Ragz »

urk. run into a show stopper right away.
i won't be able to use it anyway :(

My webserver doesn't support ASP ;)
I'm a php monkey.

However, you've given me an idea on what to do now and how to get it working.
Maybe we could have a competition ;) See who can come up with the best
"OoGSE" (Oolite Galaxy Search Engine)

Although it's a project that's not going to be a fast one for me. So many other things to do alongside this one.
Selezen
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Selezen »

Galaxy search engine, eh? We could call it GOogle. Wait, hang on, that's taken. Oh, how about YahOo? Dammit!

Thy challenge is taken, my young apprentice... ;-)
Parkingtigers
Average
Average

Post by Parkingtigers »

Selezen wrote:
Galaxy search engine, eh? We could call it GOogle. Wait, hang on, that's taken. Oh, how about YahOo? Dammit!
Lyc0os?
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

WebcrOoler?
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

Ask Giles?
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

:lol: he he, took me a moment there, I was lOoking for the wrong twist.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"