Pirate Mother Ship OXP?

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Frame wrote:
uhmm and its orginally Commander Jack Sparrow´s ship,
Methinks you mean, the Black Pearl....

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Cmdr. Maegil wrote:
@Ahruman: would it be possible to add a bar screen to one of the docked pages, possibly after the stockmarket and contracts, where the player could get tips about neighbouring prices, random gossip, bar fights (and later hospital bills) and shady oxp mission contacts?
That falls squarely in the category of “could be done, but I’m not going to do it.”
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Ahruman wrote:
Cmdr. Maegil wrote:
@Ahruman: would it be possible to add a bar screen to one of the docked pages, possibly after the stockmarket and contracts, where the player could get tips about neighbouring prices, random gossip, bar fights (and later hospital bills) and shady oxp mission contacts?
That falls squarely in the category of “could be done, but I’m not going to do it.”
You do realize how much roleplay ambient it would add, not to mention OXPing opportunities, right?

I humbly ask you to please reconsider... Or would it be too difficult?
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

You may have noticed that I’m slowing down.

I want to get 1.69 out the door soon, then I have a specific set of additional functionality (mostly scripting stuff and bug fixes) for the next full/non-testing release, 1.70. After that, it’s likely I’ll stop working on Oolite for a bit.
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Got it, I apologise for my insistance.

I'm sorry to hear that you're cutting off, you've been doing a great job both in improving Oolite, answering to the geeky tech stuff and maintaining the board. I do believe you'll be missed, but I know mental exaustion and the gravitational pull from Real Life(TM).

Out of curiosity, to whom are you going to pass the staff?
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
Captain Hesperus

@Ahruman - Sorry to hear that you're going to be taking a step back. I do hope you mean a break from beating your head against a brick wall devving Oolite and not from the community. Your immense efforts have been greatly received over the years and you would be sorely missed if you caught the next Cobra III to Raxxla.

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Cmdr. Maegil wrote:
Out of curiosity, to whom are you going to pass the staff?
If anyone looks prepared to accept it, I’ll probably toss it over and run like buggery. :-)
Captain Hesperus

Ahruman wrote:
If anyone looks prepared to accept it, I’ll probably toss it over and run like buggery. :-)
...after pulling the pin on its base and counting to seven... :shock:

Who would take on the developer's role after seeing it wear out two previous incumbents?

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

Seriously, though, I’ll stay around for admin stuff, and probably hack a bit at Oolite, but not work with a specific release target.
Captain Hesperus

<phew> That's alright then. At least we'll still be seeing your cheery...uhm...avatar.

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Captain Hesperus wrote:
Ahruman wrote:
...after pulling the pin on its base and counting to seven... :shock:
Captain Hesperus
To seven?! You HERETICAL APOSTATE SCUM!!!
Do not contradict the Holy Scriptures, for it is written on the Book of Armaments:
Armaments (2:18-21) wrote:
18- First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin, then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less.

19- Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three.

20- Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out.

21- Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it. Amen.
Correct thy sinful ways or deservedly suffer eternal penance! :cry: :evil:
Captain Hesperus

Cmdr. Maegil wrote:
18- First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin, then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less.

19- Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three.

20- Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out.

21- Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it. Amen.
My apologies, Honourable Maegil. However, the scripture you are quoting is in relation to that most revered of artifacts, the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch. I was referring to another great and powerful Tool of the Gods, The Baton of Righteous Authority:
In the Book of Giles, 24:7, it is wrote:
And when thou dost desirest to pass on the Baton of Righteous Authority, for it is a simulacrum of all of Giles' Holy Majesty, and thus canst it's power not be abhorred by mortal man for too long a time lest it sear him to his soul, thou must do thus. Stike the base of the baton 'pon a surface that is made of best Tionislaian granite, and strikest thou with great might so that the spirit within be awaked and it's Holy might be at it's fullest. Countest thou to seven, for this is Giles' number and a sacred thing. While counting, turnest thyself from those that you shall impart the Baton upon, that they shall not know your intent. Whenst thou counteth seven, cast the Baton of Righteous Authority over thy right shoulder, to demonstrate thy rightness and take thyself into headlong flight, to distance yourself from the Holy Convergence when it occurs. When the Convergence occurs, cast thyself 'pon the floor and curl thyself into a ball, lest the wrath of the Convergence consume thee and screameth "Take that, thou bugger!"
This is how it shall be done, for this is how Giles performed it.
Ahem.

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Have you guys been at the wacky backy AGAIN!
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Captain Hesperus

Dammit, Commander, hush!!!
Talk like that will bring the puce police elephants and the bright green ourangatangs down on us with their freezing hot anger....Oooooo, pretty lights....I fancy cherry pie.....

Captain Hesperus Space Cadet
The truth, revealed!!
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Captain Hesperus wrote:
Cmdr. Maegil wrote:
My apologies, Honourable Maegil. However, the scripture you are quoting is in relation to that most revered of artifacts, the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch. I was referring to another great and powerful Tool of the Gods, The Baton of Righteous Authority:
In the Book of Giles, 24:7, it is wrote:
And when thou dost desirest to pass on the Baton of Righteous Authority, for it is a simulacrum of all of Giles' Holy Majesty, and thus canst it's power not be abhorred by mortal man for too long a time lest it sear him to his soul, thou must do thus. Stike the base of the baton 'pon a surface that is made of best Tionislaian granite, and strikest thou with great might so that the spirit within be awaked and it's Holy might be at it's fullest. Countest thou to seven, for this is Giles' number and a sacred thing. While counting, turnest thyself from those that you shall impart the Baton upon, that they shall not know your intent. Whenst thou counteth seven, cast the Baton of Righteous Authority over thy right shoulder, to demonstrate thy rightness and take thyself into headlong flight, to distance yourself from the Holy Convergence when it occurs. When the Convergence occurs, cast thyself 'pon the floor and curl thyself into a ball, lest the wrath of the Convergence consume thee and screameth "Take that, thou bugger!"
This is how it shall be done, for this is how Giles performed it.
Ahem.
Captain Hesperus
I haven't been blessed with the sight of The Baton of Righteous Authority for neither have I the hubris of considering myself worthy to so much as behold It, nor can I be consumed in the bliss of Holy Convergence before all my earthly duties (present and future, Giles allowing) are fulfilled to completion.
Still, I'd happily agree with your Eminence, if not for the small matter that the quoted Most Holy Scripture contains no mention to a pin on Its base...

Look! Up there, is that a pink Boa?