Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

[UPDATED RELEASE] Trident Down

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

antidoto
Average
Average

Picking up after Part 1?

Post by antidoto »

I'm excited to play the next part of the mission, but the game doesn't seem to want to pick up where I left off after part 1. How should I set the variables in my save file to do that?
Ramirez
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ramirez »

Ah yes - if you've reached the end of v0.1, change the mission_trident_down variable in the save game from ENDOFPART1 to DICEBE1. There are a few more events that will need to happen before you go to Dicebe, so fly around a little before you head over there.

I've put this info in the readme - also I spotted some other minor things that needed sorting - plus I notice I accidently put two folders in the zip file, so I've refreshed the download link for v0.2.
Download Resistance Commander plus many other exciting OXPs HERE
antidoto
Average
Average

Post by antidoto »

Thanks!
Ramirez
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Another quick update

Post by Ramirez »

More annoying little errors spotted. First off, in addition to the ENDOFPART1 variable, you may need to reset mission_trident_down_jumpcount to zero as well in order to continue playing from v0.1.

Secondly, I was playing through the next stages after v0.1 left off and found one of my squadron commanders seems to have forgotten the art of basic navigation. I've gone in and fixed his AI to make this section of the mission run much more smoothly, so here's another update:

Trident Down v0.3

I'm pretty sure from this point on things generally work OK, but if you want a perfect experience I suggest you hold off playing through the mission until I get a bit closer to a final version!

Once again, for those who have played through any of it, do let me know what you think so I can take take on any feedback in the later stages of the mission.
antidoto
Average
Average

Post by antidoto »

A typo: I couldn't figure out why playfair-ship was never added, but I think it's because you had the condition as

mission_trident_down jumpcount greaterthan 0

rather than

mission_trident_down_jumpcount greaterthan 0

I fixed the underscore and it fixed the problem.
Ramirez
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ramirez »

Maybe he was just scared to come out! Well spotted, though - I've corrected the script and refreshed the download link.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Playing this though ATM. Great fun!

No bugs hit yet other than, the PNG of the "Security Footage" seems messed up and not appearing where it should in between the text.

Other slight oddity was this: I went to System X to meet my contact in the ship desgin trade, but didn't get a briefing. Looking at the script I realised that this was because I'd sun-skimmed my way there rather than docking to refule, so the script was expecting to give me a few News broadcasts before I arrived. I traded about for a bit, got the broadcasts and then whent to System X the briefing for meeting my contact came up fine.

Just odd as the Player can arrive at System X (as his mission briefing told him to) but not actually be met. Maybe add to the script that the meeting of the contact should happen if the PN=X even if the player has not seen the broadcasts?

Great fun though. Currently following the route taken by the Crab!
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Ramirez
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ramirez »

Haven't looked at the briefing screen with the security pic for a while - I'm pretty sure it worked last time I saw it but I'll check it out. How messed up is it?

I'll look at fixing the oddity you encounted on your way to the design contact. Usually, when I need the player to read a briefing I send them a 'you've got mail' broadcast when they enter a system so they know to dock and check in with someone before the mission can progress.
It looks like I forgot to do that in this particular case. The news broadcast (newswire3) is quite important plot-wise, however looking at my missiontext, the subsequent message from ESW should provide the player with the necessary information.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Think the PNG is fine, its just that the gap you left in the missiontext by \n\n isn't in the same place that the graphics appear, so you can't really see it as its obsured by the yellow missiontext letters. Maybe just move the image down slightly in the PNG.

I've avoided looking at the code though as I'm playing the missions so trying to avoid spoilers. Just made my low-orbit approach! :shock: Amazing OXP, the detail to the way the characters behave is great. If you've not downloaded this one yet, Grab it and play it!
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Ramirez
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ramirez »

Not sure what's happening with that briefing screen - I don't know if it could be a Windows thing.

Here's what it's meant to look like:

In addition to bugfixing I'm now working on some models I need for the other stages of the mission. One of them is a carrier vessel so I need to do some revision on docking slits and turrets and the like.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

Spect it is a windows thing, as its much lower down on mine (and quite a bit darker - suspect my crap graphics card on that though). No biggy. It's still perfectley playable!
Ramirez
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ramirez »

Haven't done a great deal more work on this I'm afraid - bit busy with proper work plus I'm trying to enjoy the few days of the British summer we're likely to get this year. Nevertheless, I've given the comms satellite some proper solar panels:

And the carrier ship I was talking about is taking shape nicely:

Now I just need to get all the scripts working properly and come up with yet more mission text. Plus I have finally got round to getting a home broadband connection so I should be able to update things more frequently.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Looking reeeealy good. <rubs hands in anticipation>
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Ramirez
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Trident Down - another update

Post by Ramirez »

So what's new in the world of Trident Down? Well, unfortunately I don't have any exciting new screens to show you. The fun and relatively easy part of building new models and drawing textures is mostly over, so now its a case of working on the various plists.

The end is in sight though - I've downloaded a copy of OmniOutliner which has helped me to plan out the mission and keep track of all the different threads without my brain melting. At the last count I have 9 possible endings, and as each one has to be consistent with each other, I've had to make sure I'm always clear on what the player has or hasn't done and how this may affect the situation. Many times I've stared at a screen of XML thinking 'what is the player's motivation...?'

Of course the sensible thing would have been to simply release a series of sequels rather than try doing all this parallel plotline stuff, but I'm committed now. I think I've managed to pack in just about every mission and equipment idea I've thought of since first playing Oolite, so there should plenty of things in the final OXP for people to make good use of.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

Do you want me to add links to your OXP to the Missions and OXP Wkiki pages? I know its not finished but there still a lot of missions playable and players can 'wait for the next installment' if they play though the end of an unfinished plot-line. Realy like the non-linear nature of the mission-pack! 8)