Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Top Ten OXP's

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Lorfarius
Above Average
Above Average

Top Ten OXP's

Post by Lorfarius »

There are so many OXP's to choose from that I thought it might be a good idea if people listed there top 10 :) Theres plenty to choose from so it shouldnt be too difficult. What do you think should be in everyone elses AddOn folder, get listing!
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Torus Station (Massive 2001 style stations at very high tech planets) and Custom Sounds I say are must have OXPs! X-Ships, S-Ships, nuships, Wolfwood's varients etc all add classic Elite ships from various versions of Elite, so even if you are a pureist these are must-haves! Plus all the mission OXPs as these add a lot of background and depth the the game.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

I always have mu-ships (rusties!)
all the Aegidian OXPs
my own atmosphere OXPs
cust soundsOXP
several mision oxps
the dirtystation-oxp (I don't like the torus much)
several AH-WIP-oxps

oh yes:
piratecoves
classic ship oxps
Last edited by Arexack_Heretic on Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Riding the Rocket!
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

There's so many to choose from:-

The classic Elite ships OXPs (especially Giles)
Selezen's Imperial Courier V.2 OXP
A_H's Dubious Profit OXP (If I can get my hands on it :wink:)
The Lave and Diso OXPs
All the stations (namely the military station, gwxstations.oxp)
LB's Assassins.oxp (you just gotta!)
A_H's Thargorn_Threat.oxp
Charlie's Benulobiweed Inc. ships
The Pirate Coves OXP
The Dream Team OXP (when it's released in it's fullness)

Disclaimer: These are not presented in any order of preference.

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Charlie
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Charlie »

Captain Hesperus wrote:
There's so many to choose from:-
Charlie's Benulobiweed Inc. ships
Captain Hesperus
Thanks for the plug :wink: updates + new ones on the way ( honest ).
Other projects been getting in the way...
Benulobiweed.inc
By Appointment to
--- : GalCoop : ---

Your nearest Benulobiweed.inc dealer:
http://www.box.net/public/b2tic3tjsk#main

Charlie
Captain Hesperus

Charlie wrote:
Thanks for the plug :wink: updates + new ones on the way ( honest ).
Other projects been getting in the way...
Hey, since I'm partly responsible for those super-fast machines, plugging them means that I'll be due some royalties soon. Or so much publicist tells me.

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Charlie
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Charlie »

I don't know if anyone reads the background-nonsense I update with each new ship...

When the new bunch is released ( HippyShips.oxp with 11ish new ships! ) I'm thinking of putting into the story update an offer to Captain H. to take over as chief test pilot.

( Can't remember @ the mo' if I killed the last one off or he just resigned )

Interested in joining the B.inc team?
Benulobiweed.inc
By Appointment to
--- : GalCoop : ---

Your nearest Benulobiweed.inc dealer:
http://www.box.net/public/b2tic3tjsk#main

Charlie
Captain Hesperus

Lol, how appropriate! The good Captain skipping G1, just as every Jameson who has ever been stung with a hold full of Trumbles gets it into their heads to get revenge....

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
Pause
Average
Average

Post by Pause »

I barely have ten OXPs installed - I like to add bits slowly, and appreciate each new mod. I was playing for months and months before I installed any; I wanted to get as much as I could out of the 'vanilla' game before I added anything.

But for a new player, I reckon the my favourites would be (in no particular order):

Lave (so pwetty!)
External views (and again - you can get some excellent grabs with this)
Gritty Coriolis (um, am I turning into a graphics whore, here?)
Tori (yup)
Commies
Dictators (two truly excellent mods that make the universe a lot more interesting)
Behemoth (just too cool)
Asteroid storm (more for the variety in 'roids than the mission itself)

Assassins will be up there once I work my way round to that galaxy - still saving cash for better ships and equipment yet. And looking forward to the final version of anarchies, of course. And Black Monks is probably useful to a new player. If they're brave.

Amusing story (to me, anyway): the first mod I installed was Behemoth, while I had an 'offender' rating. My very first jump after the install, and I thought 'ooh, what's that big thing over there?' And what are those pretty purple things? Are they coming this way? I wonder if - Oh! Oh. Drat."
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

:D Yeh, the mission added by Asteroidstorm.OXP is a real noob's mission (but still hopefuly a bit of fun to the new Jameson who discovers it! - virtually impossible to get killed and you might gain or lose a few credits depending on the path you chose!). The real point of the OXP is to add Charlies cool new asteroids to the Ooniverse! But as it only took about another 12k of code to also throw in a dead easy mission featuring these new rocks, when scripting it I thought: Why not add a little mission too? :wink:
Last edited by LittleBear on Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Pause
Average
Average

Post by Pause »

Why not indeed! Plus, from a large distance I find the large asteroids and the Behemoth class warships look worryingly alike on my tiny screen (just as it should be in the murkiness of deep space). That's caused more than a few very quick "about turn" moments....

Being able to see things before they show up on radar (aside from stations) adds a whole new level to exploring a system. Makes me feel like a genuine chancer!
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

A "Large Asteroid", added by the OXP should still show white on the scanner, although it is as big as a Behemoth, or even some stations. Behemoths should show as blue on the scanner and stations green. Asteroids added by this OXP (although some of them are really big) are still Asteroids and should show as white on the scanner, even though you are a long way away from them. The Large Asteroids are really big though, and so you may spot them with your eyes before they come within scanner range. The Scanner can only spot objects within 25km! :wink:
Pause
Average
Average

Post by Pause »

Yeah, that's what I mean, I see them a long way off and can't always tell which is which until they enter scanner range, or at least come close to it. Big, grey, long... look Officer, it really wasn't my fault, I'm sorry your paintwork is damaged, perhaps you should touch it up in bright green so this doesn't happen again...