Behemoth losing to a Sidewinder?

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

drdenim
Competent
Competent

Behemoth losing to a Sidewinder?

Post by drdenim »

I just saw a sidewinder scout ship take on a behemoth and almost win (and would have won had I not destroyed the sidewinder). The behemoth was fleeing from the sidewinder and as far as I know had not fired at the sidewinder at all (I had just come out of the behemoth's dock, not sure if that has something to do with the behemoth fleeing or not...I'd imaging it'd be problematic if the behemoth was destroyed while a player was inside haha) Anywho, I figured that this is not something that should happen and is possibly the result of a bug in the script or something. I have a screenshot but I can't post it as this is my first post. if it makes a difference I got the behemoth.oxp from oosat (the first oosat as opposed to oosat2..I believe it's the same oxp that the wiki links to, but I can't swear to that)
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Re: Behemoth losing to a Sidewinder?

Post by Captain Hesperus »

drdenim wrote:
I just saw a sidewinder scout ship take on a behemoth and almost win (and would have won had I not destroyed the sidewinder). The behemoth was fleeing from the sidewinder and as far as I know had not fired at the sidewinder at all (I had just come out of the behemoth's dock, not sure if that has something to do with the behemoth fleeing or not...I'd imaging it'd be problematic if the behemoth was destroyed while a player was inside haha) Anywho, I figured that this is not something that should happen and is possibly the result of a bug in the script or something. I have a screenshot but I can't post it as this is my first post. if it makes a difference I got the behemoth.oxp from oosat (the first oosat as opposed to oosat2..I believe it's the same oxp that the wiki links to, but I can't swear to that)
How queer. It may be that the Sidewinder was part of a pirate group that attacked the Behemoth. I've not read the Behemoth's AI, but on many AI's when a ship is reduced to an ENERGY_LOW state, it attempts to flee. But saying that, I've seen a Behemoth ram a Thargorn Battleship before....

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
drdenim
Competent
Competent

Post by drdenim »

Captain Hesperus wrote:

How queer. It may be that the Sidewinder was part of a pirate group that attacked the Behemoth. I've not read the Behemoth's AI, but on many AI's when a ship is reduced to an ENERGY_LOW state, it attempts to flee. But saying that, I've seen a Behemoth ram a Thargorn Battleship before....

Captain Hesperus
by the looks of the radar it doesn't apear to be part of a group...but like I said I was docked with the behemoth just prior and was just about run over when I exited as it was fleeing haha...so it's possible that I just missed the rest of the group

(I tried to sneak the link in but the algorithm to detect the links is amazingly smart haha...kudos to whoever programmed that one haha)

I'll have to take a snoop around the AI and see if I can't pick anything out...didn't even think to actually look at the AI script...haha
Captain Hesperus

Post by Captain Hesperus »

drdenim wrote:
by the looks of the radar it doesn't apear to be part of a group...but like I said I was docked with the behemoth just prior and was just about run over when I exited as it was fleeing haha...so it's possible that I just missed the rest of the group
You have obviously never seen a behemoth fight. I've seen one plaster a Renegade Cobra within about eight seconds as the Cobra tried to strafe it. There is one hell of a lot of plasma turrets on those things and they are all independantly firing. The likely reason you missed the rest of the group was because they had already be atomised.

Captain Hesperus
The truth, revealed!!
drdenim
Competent
Competent

Post by drdenim »

Captain Hesperus wrote:

You have obviously never seen a behemoth fight. I've seen one plaster a Renegade Cobra within about eight seconds as the Cobra tried to strafe it. There is one hell of a lot of plasma turrets on those things and they are all independantly firing. The likely reason you missed the rest of the group was because they had already be atomised.

Captain Hesperus
haha...you're quite right...this was the first time I'd seen a behemoth "fight"...actually...it was also the first time I'd seen a behemoth...
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

Drdenim, you said you installed the old Behemoth, from oosat1?

Try the new one. It fixes some bugs, and features several types of Behemoth.

The old Behemoth is a pretty mean battle platform. The new ones are a couple of levels meaner. :)
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor