Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Psychedelic rings are ugly

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Stainless Steel Rat
Average
Average

Psychedelic rings are ugly

Post by Stainless Steel Rat »

Hey all. I'm a returning player after taking a break from Oolite. Now that I'm back I thought I also could participate in the forum. First of all I have a very important wish.

Well, I love every single aspect of Oolite. I like the gameplay, the style and the graphics. How couldn't I? It all follows good old Elite. However there's one thing that always bugs me when docking or jumping to a system. You guessed it by now: it's those psychedelic rings!

They are a mood killer. There's this specific atmosphere which graces Oolite. It's always there until... well, until you dock or jump and whaka, whaka, whaka those ugly rings kick in.

So what I wish for is a new and better looking animation. Here are so many talented people there must be someone who can do this, right?

I'm also wondering how I can replace the dock/jump sound. I don't seem to have this as an ogg-file in my folders.
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Psychedelic rings are ugly

Post by Frame »

Stainless Steel Rat wrote:
Hey all. I'm a returning player after taking a break from Oolite. Now that I'm back I thought I also could participate in the forum. First of all I have a very important wish.

Well, I love every single aspect of Oolite. I like the gameplay, the style and the graphics. How couldn't I? It all follows good old Elite. However there's one thing that always bugs me when docking or jumping to a system. You guessed it by now: it's those psychedelic rings!

They are a mood killer. There's this specific atmosphere which graces Oolite. It's always there until... well, until you dock or jump and whaka, whaka, whaka those ugly rings kick in.

So what I wish for is a new and better looking animation. Here are so many talented people there must be someone who can do this, right?

I'm also wondering how I can replace the dock/jump sound. I don't seem to have this as an ogg-file in my folders.
look again and look for

breakpattern.ogg
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Miangele
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Miangele »

Replacing the docking rings and the font is something I'd rather like. Arial or Impact or whatever it is doesn't... look right.

Anyway, for docking, I'm thinking something like the rings, only boxes, and grey. Maybe with tiny windows mapped into them. The ring effect doesn't actually bother me for witchspace jumping, although a nice blue color would probably be better than purple.
Stainless Steel Rat
Average
Average

Re: Psychedelic rings are ugly

Frame wrote:
look again and look for
breakpattern.ogg
Oh, how could I miss that?! :wink:
jonnycuba
Deadly
Deadly

Post by jonnycuba »

I remember talking to Murgh about this many moons ago, He did find out from Aegidian what the relevant code was but it's gone in into the ether...

It would be great to have one docking sequence pattern (all flashing metal) & a more organic Witchspace pattern 8)
Team Zorg are Go!
Stainless Steel Rat
Average
Average

jonnycuba wrote:
It would be great to have one docking sequence pattern (all flashing metal) & a more organic Witchspace pattern 8)
Yes, to have two different sequences for docking and witchspacing would be the best. :D
chaos syndrome
Above Average
Above Average

Post by chaos syndrome »

From what I can remember, BBC Elite used a hexagonal pattern for docking (and then showed you a brief view of other ships in the dock), and circles for witchspace.
lolwhites
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lolwhites »

I think chaos is right - IIRC the docking pattern was white and the witchspace one was multicoloured, and each had a different sound effect.

A "front view" of the docking bay à la BBC would be even nicer.
nijineko
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by nijineko »

i would vote for this! two different sequences indeed! please!
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?

Play games. Win Amazon gift cards! Brag. Repeat.
Melancoholic
Poor
Poor

Post by Melancoholic »

Or the sequence could be taken even more psychedelic. Imagine: all your galcop and thargoid buddies giggling with you into the fluffy ultrasonic docking beanbag chair.