Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Trumbles - I hate those things!

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

Cpt. Reginald Hesperus of the Python class trader 'Dubious Profit'

Could you provide some more specific information on your vessel as well as responces to various situational confrontations with a disgruntled customer?

Please PM me with ship data, and external appearance of said vessel.

(I'll think some on mission flow and potential confrontation options.)
Riding the Rocket!
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

That's the wrong way to deal with the matter!
:!: You don't go to an enemy and ask him about his weaknesses, giving him a chance to feed you innacurate or even counterproductive (dangerous) intel. :!:

No, you should be more proactive:
1) gather intel from independent sources;
2) locate the target;
3) dispose of him in a considering the rules of proportionality (you don't want to be known as a :twisted: savage :twisted: bloodthirsty :twisted: psycho, :twisted: do you? Do things properly, but with elegance! 8) ).

:idea: In this specific case that would involve, for instance, a contaminated container, a subtle -ahem- miscalibration to his heat shield thermometer and a message to be played fourteen seconds before the REAL temperature reaches a critical point. :idea:
THAT would be a proper vengeance. :wink:

(And now you know why I don't have many enemies...)
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
Arexack_Heretic
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

I'd like the perp shrewd bussinesman to give the customer a change to be friends instead of being the bloodthirsty bastard righteous hero he/she usually behaves like.

option1: player still infected with trumbles.
A: DIE!
B: when low on energy: plea for mercy and meet at station to talk things over.

or trumble is gotten rid of.
A: Leave the matter rest. end script.
B: Find and convince the Captain to fly into the sun. ->
Recieve a container of goodies from CH (get killbonus without killing and maybe set contract reputation to maximum)
C: Still want him to die! (get only killbonus, plus eventual debris: free trumble!)

I'm asking for info, so to acurately portray the Captain.

One hint could be:
Yeah that bastard was here. He scraped the topside AND deckside of the dock, then when he was safely clamped fast in the cradle, he still managed to somehow open his cargohatch just in time to smash two loaderdroids!

Another could involve a custom station:
Player approaches station.
commsmessage: "Sorry for the inconveneance the dock is out of order. A guy in a python managed to scrape the dock while being launched!
Please dock at coriolis 4, follow '4' on your ASC please.
At 'Coriolis 4': The idiot was overheard saying the inhabitants of Reexe are real suckers for furry toys. (for example)
Last edited by Arexack_Heretic on Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Riding the Rocket!
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

davcefai wrote:
I suspect they were not present in Spectrum version
They were but all they did was crawl over your screen.
Really? I never came across them on the Spectrum.

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Can't say about the Spectrum. They were not in BBC Elite. They were in C64 Elite however. When you bought them, your cargo manifest would say "And 1 cute fury Trumble". As time went on, they would increase and they started taking up your cargo space. So with "And 8,999 cute fury Trumbles" you could not buy any cargo as your hold was full of Trumbles! :evil: I don't think they would ever eat your cargo on C64, but I guess this was Giles re-imagining the Trumbles! I rather prefere the idea that they eat your cargo rather than just filling your hold. When they chomped trough my Imperial Couriers hold of computers, I just had to roast the little pests.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Arexack_Heretic

I thought they only ate food, liquor and/or narcotics?

you must be mistaking them with Furby3200 (TM). ;)
Riding the Rocket!
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

:D It was a while ago, so I'm not sure what they ruined but I think the little critters will eat anything! I remember cursing the little blighters for wreaking my profits on the trade run! :wink:
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Arexack_Heretic

[gramma]they ate my cat![/gramma]

[stuey]they ate me playdodec![/stuey]

[Griff]Dey ate my textures![/Griff]

[dog]They ate the homework! (das my job)[/dog]

[mouse]'t wazint me![/mouse]

[trumble]prroot?[/trumble]

edit: [me]they ate my missile...err... (kaboom!)[/me]

edit2: [liklebear]T'ey ate mine porridge! (which was just right)[/liklebear]
Riding the Rocket!
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

Well i've not looked at the code. But be assured young Jamsons, Trumbles eat stuff! :)
Arexack_Heretic

What I'll do:

galaxies 0-2
short chase in one galaxy only. (trumbles usually occurs before 250 kills)

galaxies 3-7 : double chase in two galaxies.

plus: galaxy number determines the toughness of Capt.H's DubiousProfit.

Each galaxy will have it's own hints and player will be able to find H. no matter in which gal he/she is at. Finding him without the innitial mission-start hint will be a matter of luck though.

Should I offer to end the chase when you manage to get rid of the trumbles on your own?
Or leave it to the player to decide whether to ignore the hints at various planets....it does assume the player asking questions and hanging around in seedy bars.

ps That cargomanifest "and # cute little trumble" is not in oolite, right?
I can't recall seeing it. (nor on the C=64) If it's not in, I'd like tio request someone with the ability to code this trivial piece of infodepiction.
Riding the Rocket!
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Arexack_Heretic wrote:
ps That cargomanifest "and # cute little trumble" is not in oolite, right?
I can't recall seeing it. (nor on the C=64) If it's not in, I'd like tio request someone with the ability to code this trivial piece of infodepiction.
Press f5 twice and there is your cargo manifest... however i think this is not what you mean since i cant beleive you do not know that :-).

on that page it also lists your current mission

if i recall right, i think the cargo manifest on the C=64 where on the F5-status screen
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Arexack_Heretic

No, indeed I was refering to the "cute little furries" entry on that F5manifest.
Riding the Rocket!
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Arexack_Heretic wrote:
No, indeed I was refering to the "cute little furries" entry on that F5manifest.
I see... sorry...

however i cant recall wheter it said Cute or not on the C=64 and im way past the Trumble offers since i have about 900 kills... a long long way to get to be ELITE or OOLITE..

My ship btw is the Merx serendipitous A boa Class Cruiser

Cheers Frame
Bounty Scanner
Number 935
Arexack_Heretic

If you refuse the offer first time round, the code resets after on average 100 jumps.
Offering them again....

Should I add a contigency for experienced commanders,
by resetting the trumble offer in my script forcefully... every 250 kills or so?
That way the captain has the benefit of
1-experience from the first offer. (if accepted)
2-the possibility to track down the one responsible for pushing the critters even in latter stages.
Riding the Rocket!
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

If you make them even more frequent, it could lead to an entire new carer to pair up with assassins and bounty hunters: butthole trumble pusher eliminator!
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.