Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Nasty crash and screen corruption!

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander, Getafix

Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: North Norfolk, UK, (Average Agricultural, Feudal States,Tech Level 8)

Nasty crash and screen corruption!

Post by Star Gazer »

Console log shows the following:
Oolite [input.keyMapping.codeOutOfRange]: Translated key: 63247 out of range
Oolite [input.keyMapping.codeOutOfRange]: Translated key: 63247 out of range
Oolite [texture.planet.generate]: genning texture for land_fraction 0.57000
Oolite [texture.planet.generate]: genning texture for land_fraction 0.67000
2007-05-04 20:39:58.041 Oolite[297] *** -[NSCFString objectForKey:]: selector not recognized [self = 0xba06f00]
Oolite [exception]: ***** Exception during during initialisation in [Universe update:] : NSInvalidArgumentException : *** -[NSCFString objectForKey:]: selector not recognized [self = 0xba06f00] *****
2007-05-04 20:39:58.043 Oolite[297] *** -[NSCFString objectForKey:]: selector not recognized [self = 0xba06f00]
Just checking out the local planets, preparatory to launching, when the game halted. After waiting for a minute or so, it became obvious all was not well. Could not change screen or launch. Cursor still available.
Exited using 'ctrl.-Q' .
The desktop was seriously corrupted with horizontal alternating black and white bars that were removable by causing a screen refresh.

Dual 2.5GHz G5, 2.5GB RAM, ATI 9600XL video, OSX 10.4.9 Oolite v.1.68
Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my clothes...
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

That’s… really rather strange.

That type of exception suggests that some OXP has a plist containing a string where there should be a dictionary. I can’t really say which plist, because I can’t see how any plist structure would be touched in the initialisation phase of -[Universe update:]. Obviously if the log has any messages about bad plists, that could be a hint.

The next version of Oolite will be less sensitive to this type of problem, mostly by ignoring entries of the wrong type, but I don’t expect to catch all cases.
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Star Gazer »

The only oxp loaded at the time was the '1Map Griff Krait.oxp'...? :?
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Star Gazer »

Just happened again...
2007-05-05 21:18:22.197 Oolite[1335] *** -[NSCFString objectForKey:]: selector not recognized [self = 0x1c33cf30]
Oolite [exception]: ***** Exception during during initialisation in [Universe update:] : NSInvalidArgumentException : *** -[NSCFString objectForKey:]: selector not recognized [self = 0x1c33cf30] *****
2007-05-05 21:18:22.199 Oolite[1335] *** -[NSCFString objectForKey:]: selector not recognized [self = 0x1c33cf30]
Same situation, couldn't launch, couldn't change screen.
Only slight momentary screen corruption on exiting game this time.
I noticed this further back up the log...
Oolite [texture.planet.generate]: genning texture for land_fraction 0.47000
Oolite [unclassified.StationEntity]: ERROR - couldn't addShipToShipsOnApproach:<ShipEntity GalCop Viper Interceptor 501> in <StationEntity Coriolis Station 251> for some reason.
Oolite [unclassified.StationEntity]: ERROR - couldn't addShipToShipsOnApproach:<ShipEntity GalCop Viper Interceptor 501> in <StationEntity Coriolis Station 251> for some reason.
Oolite [unclassified.StationEntity]: ERROR - couldn't addShipToShipsOnApproach:<ShipEntity GalCop Viper Interceptor 435> in <StationEntity Coriolis Station 251> for some reason.
Oolite [dataCache.write.success]: Wrote data cache.
Oolite [unclassified.StationEntity]: ERROR - couldn't addShipToShipsOnApproach:<ShipEntity GalCop Viper Interceptor 435> in <StationEntity Coriolis Station 251> for some reason.
Oolite [texture.planet.generate]: genning texture for land_fraction 0.47000
Oolite [texture.planet.generate]: genning texture for land_fraction 0.57000
Oolite [texture.planet.generate]: genning texture for land_fraction 0.63000
Oolite [unclassified.StationEntity]: ERROR - couldn't addShipToShipsOnApproach:<ShipEntity GalCop Viper 496> in <StationEntity Coriolis Station 251> for some reason.
Oolite [testscript.spawn]: Generated 4 griff_krait_rich_pirate for testing purposes.
Oolite [unclassified.StationEntity]: ERROR - couldn't addShipToShipsOnApproach:<ShipEntity GalCop Viper 496> in <StationEntity Coriolis Station 251> for some reason.
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Star Gazer »

OK. More experimenting show this only happens after attempting to open the ships for sale screen. The shipyard screen fails to initialise and the game locks.
You can unlock it by using CTR + F to come out of full screen mode, but nasty desktop screen artefacts still occur - when I first opened Safari, it went all zig-zaggy.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

I just had the “ addShipToShipsOnApproach:” thing, and have fixed it. As for your main problem, it’s not immediately familiar, but other bugs have been shown up by the shipyard recently and that’s definitely an area where serious bug testing is needed.

The screen corruption is weird, and Oolite really shouldn’t be able to do that… seems like a system bug, although of course Oolite shouldn’t trigger it anyway. It’s hard to say more without seeing it or being able to analyze it.

By the way, that’s Command-Q and Command-F. Control is a different key. ;-)
Last edited by JensAyton on Sun May 06, 2007 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Star Gazer »

doh! complete brain fade! nasty cases of senior moments!! :oops:

At least my fingers know the right key! :roll:
goat
Average
Average

Post by goat »

Back after long absence, hi all, I get the same problem: the game hangs on attempting to enter the shipyard screen.

The only diagnostic information I can add is that this manifested right after I added a metric shitload (slightly more than the old imperial shitload) of OXPs, so it does seem like there's something in there.

Also, in the same fiddling session as the last batch of 30 or so OXPs went in, I edited the OXP for the XS Cobra Mark II to have the HUD I wanted, and the problem turned up right after that.

Giving it the command to come out of fullscreen stopped the hang, but it won't go into shipyard mode for love nor money at the moment.

I'm using 1.65 on an intel macbook.
"Guard your love of disco, monkey poet."
goat
Average
Average

Post by goat »

Further testing reveals that with a new Jameson, I can get into the shipyard at Lave. I think the problem might be just too many ships in the TL12 shipyard where my main commander is at. Because, as mentioned above, I have all the OXPs.
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

The safest fix is to remove the last batch of 30 OXP's (assuming you put them in alphebetically or in some other sequence you can remember) go back to the original hud and then add them in one by one. It's a bit laborious but it should work. If this fails, you need to go back to the beginning and add them one by one, or in manageable groups. Either way it's worth the effort, you will be rewarded manifold! :D Good luck.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Star Gazer »

errrr... when I had this problem, I only had 1 oxp added... :?
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

@Star Gazer, sorry matey, my response was directed at goat.

hmm only 1 OXP loaded, dunno apart from a reinstall, I suspect you've already done that though.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
goat
Average
Average

Post by goat »

Reinstalling seems to have done the trick. I removed a couple of oxps - the annoying HBRs came out, and the Ixians until I can suss out how to edit out the Bezerka, and the two most irritating Star Wars ships. It seems to have settled down now, although I've not been to a TL12 world and tried the shipyard in a bit.

I've now got all the OXPs less the ones above installed, and fingers crossed it should be OK.

BTW, can anyone point me at a howto on making HUDs? I can figure most of it out by taking HUDs apart, but I'm having trouble figuring out placements, since it's not obvious where the origin for x and y coordinates is.