Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Black Monks - what are they for?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Jack_H
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Jack_H »

Oh ok, I thought MAegil was hinting at something before.

No, the bug is real slow game play, pauses, glitched screens and then goodo ld fashioned freezes which need a reboot to get rid of.

I guess I had better repay the buggers then...
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

If you have a lot of OXPs installed then some slow-down is inevitable (with 100 OXPs in you are asking Oolite to load a lot of textures into memory!). But the crawing is added to by the fact that if you are overdue, the Black Monks OXP will be adding Gun Ships after your blood to the system, which puts a more demand on Oolite than if the Gun Ships are not after you!

The Monk's Base and the Gunship both have complex models and textures, so you will find that this OXP is a bit memory hungry! To play with all the available OXPs installed I reckon you really need at least 1 Gig of Memory (on XP, 2 Gig on Vesta). I play with all installed and 0.75 G on XP and I do get a few freezes and the odd crash to desktop. Not having up to date drivers also causes these sorts of crashes.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Re: Black Monks - what are they for?

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

Wiggy wrote:
I've had the Black Monks OXP installed for some time. I even took a loan from them. (And paid it back!)
Is there any more to this? A simple yes or no will do - no need for spoilers.
Cmdr. Maegil wrote:
Yes. Take a loan and DON'T pay it back on time. You may also drop by their bases and make excuses. Most amusing!
Jack_H wrote:
Oh ok, I thought MAegil was hinting at something before.
Actually I was just giving Wiggy a literal reply. I know, I was also kind of a jerk for not telling him more, but he DID ask not to give away any spoilers... :twisted:
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Fair point! But, to all the young Jamesons out there. The Monks are a band of blackguards! You have nothing to fear if you never deal with them, or if you do so and pay them back on time. In the spirt of Elite I've made the OXP open ended and you can choose to not pay the Monks back, but they will be VERY nasty if you don't. "Screamed he did, as they skewed his aft for want of a credit!" :evil:

BUT If you chose to take out a loan, you really better make sure that you pay it back. They really will get medievil on your ass if you don't. If you took a loan with then, they weren't bluffing with the threats they made when they lent you the credits!

"And you shall know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengence upon thee!"

Assassins and Renegades are meant for the more experienced commander. Asteroid storm and Black Monks are suited for the new commander. The Monks will be helpful if your just starting out in the game. But remember to pay them back! Assassins (21 Missions) won't do anything until you are in G7, so I'm reckoning you have a decent ship before you play it!

Black Monks is described as a mission OXP, but if you take it your mission is to pay the monks back on time. (Really Black Monks is meant to give you the option to borrow money and pay it back. Handy when you starting out, deadly if you chose to default!)
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Jack_H
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Jack_H »

Pop Quiz: I take out a loan with the blank monks, then uninstall the black monk OXP. what do you do? what do you do?

Do you find yourself with a 20K loan and no one who wants it back? or do you crash life the universe and everything?
Frame
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Frame »

Jack_H wrote:
Pop Quiz: I take out a loan with the blank monks, then uninstall the black monk OXP. what do you do? what do you do?

Do you find yourself with a 20K loan and no one who wants it back? or do you crash life the universe and everything?
you cheat ;-)

And before you know it, a singularity will appear in the midst of your GPU and swallow your GFX card and Hard-Drive into witch-space.

;-)
Bounty Scanner
Number 935