Any advice for a complete newbie

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Geordie1
Above Average
Above Average

Any advice for a complete newbie

Post by Geordie1 »

Hello all, just got Oolite today and am a little bit lost after reading a lot of the posts on here, it all sounds pretty advanced stuff. Any advice for a complete beginner with only the basics.

Many thanks
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Hi there Geordie1 and welcome, don't be put off, the best place to start is here, It is a step by step tutorial showing you how to get started.

For all the controls and other useful stuff there is the very useful reference sheet

There is a brilliant novella called the Dark Wheel that came with the original Elite, and in my opinion is a must read for people starting to play the game for the first time.

The Wiki is where you will find the most comprehensive source of info and all the links.

Good luck and don't forget to "save Commander" after each flight!
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Geordie1
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Geordie1 »

Thanks TGHC, I will be sure to look at thos links
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: North Norfolk, UK, (Average Agricultural, Feudal States,Tech Level 8)

Post by Star Gazer »

Welcome Geordie 1!! You've arrived at one of the friendliest boards I've encountered. Other than a 'little spat' a couple of months ago, we rarely bite or flame. Jolly civilized, actually! :lol: :lol: :lol:

The game's actually pretty simple really - best to start off without 'oxps' and get into the basics - had you encountered the original Elite or one of its descendants previous to Oolite?

Follow TGHC's advice and then just fly around systems and enjoy yourself. It always was intended to be an open-ended game where you chose what you want to do, rather than having to undertake a linear 'quest'. The only real aiming point in the game for many people is that coveted gold Elite badge featured on the intro screen!

...but as in real life, many never achieve their dream... :wink: ...whatever... have fun!
Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my clothes...
Geordie1
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Geordie1 »

Thanks Star Gazer, I was addicted to Elite, but that was maybe more than 20 years ago, used to go into my office at the weekends just to play the game. Been sitting in front of Oolite now for about 5 hours (my day off) and my bum is killing me.

I wish we could approach the stations a bit quicker mind, that would ease the pain in my rear :?
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

Welcome back to the fold, commander.

Mind, you can approach the station at any speed your ship can attain.

(Even a racer on injectors can safely dock in Oolite)

I guess you are referring to the tedious crawls between jumps and dockings though...they are just part of the game...as you may recall from 2 decades ago. ;)
Riding the Rocket!
Geordie1
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Geordie1 »

Yeah, it takes a long time to dock after the jump, at least I have enough time to make a cup of tea though :wink:
Arexack_Heretic
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

Only at corporate police states. ;)

edit: As it has been 20years: remember the J-drive?
(push J to skip through space accelerated)

It's the source of 'masslock' rage.
Unadjusted personalities, that would go mad if they had to travel in realtime, can pass the Galcoop exam with ease. When these get stuck behind a space-pig they get mad. ;)
Riding the Rocket!
Geordie1
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Geordie1 »

lol, yeah, it's all starting to come back to me now after all this time...like falling off a bike really isn't it. I even ran into some thargoids earlier, none of them remembered me :wink: . Anyway, completed my first day and I am still harmless with a (5) rating...what does the rating mean?
United Blobs
Competent
Competent

Post by United Blobs »

The number is how many kills you've made.
Geordie1
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Geordie1 »

I blew up a medical ship by mistake but it didn't seem to affect my status :oops:
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Geordie1 wrote:
I blew up a medical ship by mistake but it didn't seem to affect my status :oops:
As long as there are no cops (purple blips) around, you can get away with shooting down just about anything. :wink:
The best pirates are those who get their kills when the starpigs are out of view.:twisted:

Captain Hesperus
Geordie1
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Geordie1 »

I made the mistake of firing on a Boa Cruiser, half a dozen missiles hit me within a few seconds, won't make that mistake again
Killer Instinct
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Killer Instinct »

Welcome to the forum and of course Oolite. Couple of tips... Try stay away from Feudal or Anarchy sytems - pirates swarm there. If you do install an OXP try Little Bear' Black Monks. They will help financially - but be warned as loan sharks they really do have more teeth than the entire Osmond family! Good luck and enjoy...
It's a fine line between clever and stupid
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Welcome aboard!

Not much to add to the good advice above, but if you've finished 'The Dark Wheel' and you want a story based around Oolite which introduces some of the extra bits and pieces in the game over and above the original Elite, feel free to download Status Quo and have a read.

Apologies for the shameless self promotion... :oops:

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter