Loss of military shields

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Jakob Kramer
Above Average
Above Average

Loss of military shields

Post by Jakob Kramer »

I had a strange experience yesterday. I had finally saved up enough cash to buy the Military Shield Enhancement and had gotten into a rather wild fight with two groups of pirates at the same time. Even military shields can't stand that, so I chose to fuel inject away.

Only two pirates had their own fuel injectors (an Asp and a Fer-de-lance) and they pursued me. I shot down the Asp and engaged the Fer-de-lance when it (for some reason) chose to ram me. "That's it", I thought. But what happened was that the Fer-de-lance blew up on impact and my shields took a severe beating. Only a few minutes later I realised that I had actually lost my military shields.

That made me wonder... how are these shields designed? I mean, to be able to lose the shields and not blow up at the same time? I doubt that the shields consist of some kind of "very thick metal plates", since losing the shields in this case would definitely mean the complete destruction of the ship. Does this then mean that the shields are actually some kind of force field that's generated around the ship (or some similar technology)? In this case a hard impact could damage the field generator.

I didn't wait to check whether there was a "repair military shields" when docked, but chose to just reload and start over... I mean... 47500 cr.! :)
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Yes, shields are not armour. So no metal plating.

And they can take damage, meaning their generator gets damaged.

As for all damaged equipment the repair cost is generally half of what you paid when you bought the item. And repair can only be made at a station with sufficient techlevel, not everywhere.
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

I find my military shields seem to get damaged a lot. Are they fitted on the outside of your ship with big concentric ring marks painted on them?

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

@drew - lol!

I've never had this. I have mili-shields and boosters. In situations where I lose shields enhancements due to damage it's always been the boosters.

Captain Hesperus
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

Maybe it's due to being the last piece of equipment fitted.
(I notice that missiles are except from damage)
Or maybe the code sadistically picks out the most expensive equipment to damage...
Noticing this alleged behaviour could be a selective memory thing too by the way. ;)
Riding the Rocket!