Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

AI sharpshooters

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Corbeau
Competent
Competent

AI sharpshooters

Post by Corbeau »

Ok, somewhere in the tutorials or manuals or Wiki or God-knows-where there was a mention of the principle of symmetry: everything that you, as a player, are allowed to do, is also available for the NPCs. So my question is: how on Earth (and beyond) is it possible for five bastards to hold a steady aim on me for more than five seconds if I'm frantically curving up and down, left and right, all at maximum speed? And how can incoming ships in mid-range, that are just points in my viewscreen, do the same while I'm also doing wild evasive manoeuvres? How do they manage to keep an aim on me? Answer, anyone, please? Is it because of the code that simply says "if they've got you, they've got you" or is the AI that good?

And something unrelated to the topic, but I'm too lazy to open a new one, do all of you have problems with lousy visibility? Meaning, it's very hard for me to see the bastards until they are really close to me, or approximately opposite the sun. Is it a resolution issue?
Bringer of torture
Above Average
Above Average

Re: AI sharpshooters

Post by Bringer of torture »

Corbeau wrote:

And something unrelated to the topic, but I'm too lazy to open a new one, do all of you have problems with lousy visibility? Meaning, it's very hard for me to see the bastards until they are really close to me, or approximately opposite the sun. Is it a resolution issue?
Try the clearskies oxp. That should make things a little easier for you. It worked for me.
"There are lies, damned lies and then there are statistics" W.T Sherman
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Using a flat screen not a CRT makes a huge difference.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
Bringer of torture
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Bringer of torture »

TGHC wrote:
People still use CRTs? Not even my employer (the National Health Service)
is that cheap.
"There are lies, damned lies and then there are statistics" W.T Sherman
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: North Norfolk, UK, (Average Agricultural, Feudal States,Tech Level 8)

Post by Star Gazer »

Bringer of torture wrote:
TGHC wrote:
People still use CRTs? Not even my employer (the National Health Service)
is that cheap.
...huh... ...mine is!! ...but then I'm in education... :roll:
Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my clothes...
reills
Deadly
Deadly

Post by reills »

Teaching history? :wink:

By the way, I just donated a computer with a 17" CRT. The wife sure was happy to gain back all that space.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Re: AI sharpshooters

Post by JensAyton »

Corbeau wrote:
Ok, somewhere in the tutorials or manuals or Wiki or God-knows-where there was a mention of the principle of symmetry: everything that you, as a player, are allowed to do, is also available for the NPCs. So my question is: how on Earth (and beyond) is it possible for five bastards to hold a steady aim on me for more than five seconds if I'm frantically curving up and down, left and right, all at maximum speed? And how can incoming ships in mid-range, that are just points in my viewscreen, do the same while I'm also doing wild evasive manoeuvres? How do they manage to keep an aim on me? Answer, anyone, please? Is it because of the code that simply says "if they've got you, they've got you" or is the AI that good?
As far as I’m aware, the AIs always fly using roll and pitch maneuvres. While attacking, I believe they roll to keep their up vectors parallel to yours, so that they can immediately pitch to follow you.

There was a discussion recently about the uselessness of missiles. One interesting thing about missiles, though, is that they cause an attacker to break off – even if he’s at a distance and has an ECM. The attacker will then often go into a mode where he tries to get directly above you before attacking again, which can take quite a while and is generally quite ineffectual. (This mode really needs a timeout, and/or the ability to detect a wider range of good firing opportunities. In this mode, a ship can fly straight at you without shooting.)
Corbeau wrote:
Resolution seems likely. I can often spot NPCs at about 20 km, although it depends on their size – ships are only drawn when they span a certain angle, regardless of resolution.
davcefai
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by davcefai »

For visibility, if you have a CRT, try setting up the screen properly.

This site will help:

http://www.normankoren.com/makingfineprints1A.html